The Storm Slayers

xRagex

So this is my chapter the Storm Slayers, I'm still fairly new to making chapters so any help, suggestions and so on is really appreciated.

Name: Storm Slayers

Home Planet: Juturna, Segementum Pacificus. The planet is more or less a death-world comprised of mostly lowland swamps, bogs, and marshes. They have a 19-month year, and for 16 months out of the year, it's monsoon season with fierce storms, which gave them their name.

Gene Seed: Ultramarines, though some think its possible that the original mentors of the chapters came from the Space Wolves

Battle Cry: All suits are equipped with a voice distortion that give their voices the allusion of ravening daemons, although due to the frequent use its something like a second langauge to the marines.

Chapter Master: Lord Juturna- Malick Nagara

Founding: 17th

Heraldry: All black with blue knee pads, eyes, shoulders and crests

Symbol: A sword with a lightning bolt for a blade

Combat Doctrine: The Storm Slayers are known for using a very brutal system that rarely changes. Due to the fact that Juturna is a swampy death-world, bolters and heavy weapons are often prone to jamming or malfunctioning because of the climate. As a result, the chapter tends to rely on heavy melee assaults, and the few non-assault sqauds maintained are either a handful of Devastators or tanks. The combat doctrine rarely changes, with Devastators and whirlwinds firing volley after volley of shots at the enemy, providing enough support for the assault squads to close in and destroy the enemy in righteous combat. Also, as training is often conducted in stormy weather, a storm during battle on other worlds is considered a blessing and will spur the Slayers on to fight harder. Some inquisitors suggest that the chapter's obsession with lightning is directly manifested in their heavy usage of plasma weapons, while there's no solid proof of this it seems highly plausible.

Battle Rites

Champion:On Juturna there's a large reptilian creature that can easily be several meters long known as a Jormungand. At the start of every campaign, a company is chosen to hunt down a Jormungand and sacrifice it in honor of the chapter, the marine who finds the great serpent must fight it with his bare hands. If the size of the beast isn't enough of a deterent, it has special glands that allow it to spew an electric current from its maw at anything it percieves as a threat. The marine who manages to take down the massive snake is elevated to the status of Brother Tempus a position similair to the Black Templar's Champion.

Dreadnaughts: Like most chapters, Dreadnoughts are revered for their dedication to the chapter and are only called into battle in the direst of circumstances. To see which Dreadnought will be woken, each Dreadnought has a banner of internment mounted on the highest tower of the fortress monastery's roof. Whichever is struck by lighting first is seen to be chosen by the storms and will be revived and return to fight for the chapter once more.

Iniates: Before a brother can become a full fledged space marine he must endure the rigorous program all space marines go through and then endure a simple and blunt test known as the Trial of Storms, the test is simple the neophyte will stand on a large column over looking the fortress with his sword held above his head and waits to be struck by lightning, its not unheard of for a brother to remain standing there for up to a week at a time. If the brother is strong and survives the strike it is shown that he is favored and ready to make war with his battle brothers.

Chaplains: The chaplains of the Storm Slayers are called Rain Fathers because it is believed that through their unwavering faith they can call down the storms though this is highly debateable. They also practice and preach ritual electricution, believing that every strike survived is said to be a blessing of strength bestowed by the emperor himself.

Captains: Captains of the Storm Slayers and their practices are similair to the ways of the Space Wolves, each company is called a Clan is less of a strict military regiment with more emphasis placed on the elder stronger brothers leading. As a result the companys are more like families and less like the typcial rank and file space marine company. The captains are each called Storm Lords and are second only to the Lord Juturna or the Monsoon Lord as he is sometimes called.

-> To explain the Segmentae: the central segmentum is the Segmentum Solar. This is the one with Earth in it. To the north is the Segmentum Obscuras, which has the Eye of Terror. To the east is the Ultima Segmentum, where the Tau and Tyranids are. To the south is the Segmentum Tempestus, and to the west is the Segmentum Pacificus.

Your chapter has a decent start, you'll obviously need to expand it but it's not a bad idea. I really like the thought of a sword with a lightening bolt for a blade.

Considering the huge numbers of battles marines go through, perhaps before each campaign a champion is chosen to hunt and kill a Jormungand to bring luck and honour to the campaigning forces? You don't want to drive the Jormungand to extinction. :D

Thanks for the explanation, I think I'll have them stationed in the Segmentum Pacificus because I haven't seen many DIY's put there. I also think a champion for the hunt would work really well, I blantantly stole the giant lizard bit from the Sallies but thats not the point. I should also edit in why they're put there too.

Thanks Brass, so I for the next part I think I'm going to write out a complete history and information of the chapter leaders. My problem is I'm not quite sure whats a good reason why they're on Juturna so far the best reason I've come up with is that it has relics of some kind or that its simply too dangerous for anyone but space marines to inhabit.

Archived