Imperial Knights

Wolfsrage

After deciding to change my DIY name from Shadow Knights to Imperial Knights I've started to come up with some fluff but I've ran into a wall. Here's what I've got so far.

Imperial Knights

What geneseed are they?

Imperial Fists

What founding were they?

19th Founding

What is their chapter symbol/colour scheme?

Chapter Symbol (not sure yet, something along the lines of a sword pointed downward)

Color Scheme

My problem is I have no idea how new chapters are "created." So any help on that would be greatly appreciated. I want them to be made to help in the fight against chaos or something similar since my regular opponents play Chaos Marines. Any thoughts?

How about this link from the last post in the Chapter Creation Sticky.

Admittedly it is supposition because GW has not given an 'official' view, but seems to be reasonable in the absence of anything else.

If you commonly fight chaos marines, then you could consider making them an Astartes Praeses chapter - one created specifically to guard against incursions from the Eye of Terror. It already ties in with your homeworld location. :blink:

You have a good start :blush: More then some have when they reach us :blink:

Now you have the basics, now its time to make it look pretty and fluffy ;)

Ferrata

Ok so the High Lords of Terra can order an Astartes Praeses chapter's creation? Of course acting on behalf of the emperor. So what about something along the lines of this:

The chapter was created to fight against the ever-present threat growing from the Eye of Terror. The High Lords of Terra ordered a new Chapter of the Astartes Praeses to be made to help in the fight against Chaos. They chose the Imperial Fists gene-seed being that it is one of the 2 purest gene-seeds. (Do I need to use an Imperial Fist succesor or are the Imperial Fists ok?) A handful of the veterans and one of the captains of the Imperial Fists are chosen to start the new chapter. The Captain becomes the chapter master and many of the veterans become commanders and train new recruits and the such. Librarians, apothecaries and Chaplains (etc) are taken from the Imperial Fists as well to serve their purpose among the new chapter, the Imperial Knights.

Good start? Once I've finished most of the concept works I plan to type it up more as an overall history of the chapter. Their geneseed, founding, homeworld etc. Give an overview of the chapter basically. Once the basics are laid, and typed and fixed so they look pretty / read easier, then I might start writing a story or two. :D

+EDIT+ How ironic I spelt "read easier" wrong.. now it's fixed.. lol

Before I go to all the effort to type this up I didn't miss anything big did I? I could use help with the homeworld. I don't really understand how marine homeworlds work. I want something fuedal, similar to medieval europe, since the chapter has a knightly feel. Any ideas?

++MASSIVE UPDATE++

Chapter Name: Imperial Knights

Chapter Founding: 19th Founding

Chapter Master: Elek Kratos (Elek is a Greek name for Defender of Man, and the name Kratos means strength)

Geneseed: Imperial Fists

Heraldry: Silver armor and backpacks with some black, red chest eagles and blue/green shoulderpads

Symbol: A White Sword

Home world: The Imperial Knights are based near the Eye of Terror. The High Lords of Terra ordered a new Chapter of the Astartes Praeses to be made to help in the fight against Chaos. The Imperial Knights wage a constant war against the ever-growing threat of the Eye of Terror. The Knights have fought and slain many Daemons and Traitor Marines in their time. The Knights home world has one grand central Fortress. There are many outposts scattered along the world. The population lives in or near these outposts that are scattered across the planet. The world is mountainous and has a cold climate.

Geneseed: The geneseed that was chosen to create the new chapter was the Imperial Fists, being that it is one of the purest gene-seeds available. They take great honor in their parent chapter and one of the most revered relics of the chapter is the great thunder hammer wielded by the Chapter Master. It was given to the new Imperial Knights Chapter Master by the Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists at the time and has been passed down by the chapter masters since.

Organization: A handful of the veterans and one of the captains of the Imperial Fists were chosen to start the new chapter. One of the chapter

Looks good. Only issue is that they have a prediliction for CC yet employ few vehicles. Surely in a Fuedal society, the cpncept of an armoured horseman (marine on a bike) or mighty chariot (marines in RHinos) could be taken as quite an honourable way of getting to battle.

Also, no mention of use of assault squads - do they have large numbers? WOuld be a good idea..

I'm sorry I've edited it so now it says "transport vehicles". That is actually a personal.. qualm. I don't like rhinos or drop pods. I actually do tend to use upwards of 15-20 assault marines and 5 bikes can be seen on the table from time to time.

Knights home world is similar to Medieval Europe

If this an in-character comment, then the Imperium dont know what Medieval Europe was like, so its not really good to compare it to that. If its for our reference, then its ok. Maybe describe Medieval Europe without useing them words

It is similar to Captain Lysander

Fixed the comments about the homeworld.

Fixed background on hammer.

The decorated and veteran Captain Elek Kratos was chosen to become the chapter master

If he was their at the founding, he should be dead by know and not the chapter master. The 21st founding was M36, thats over 5000 years ago, so the 19th was even longer ago, so he's old (read: dead)

Never knew what the timeline was, so fixed that and now Kratos is the current chapter master. Also, how old can a marine get to be?

Personally, I see knights in heavy armour, so more dreads and terminators then usual (which you have one off). Then mounted knights (bikers) and maybe squires (scouts/bikers). Maybe check out the fantasy brettonian (sp?) range for ideas and parts for models

Hadn't thought about that, edited the fluff on terminators. I only have about 5 bikes (cause they're expensive) and those are for my 13th company. But sometimes I use them for my marines. They just don't fit my playstyle. And I'm trying to make the fluff fit how I play, but still make sense.

I've edited the fluff now and any other comments would be good to know.

Also, how old can a marine get to be?

If they dont have BA gene-seed, around 400-500 years old. But most of the time they would have died by then as they get older they get slower.

Ferrata

IIRC there is actually no recorded instance of a marine dying from old age. Given that part of the initiation process a marine undergoes is "accepting the gift of immortality" I wouldn't be surprised if a marine could live forever if he wasnt constantly put into life threatening situations.

Medical science has reached a sort of revolution lately with the realisation that there is no internal element that causes a person to die. It was previously beleived that the body had to die at some point, and that this was a natural and inevitable stage in the body's lifecycle. Instead it has been discovered that if it wasn't for external effects on the body, it could continue living indefinately. Cell growth is a perpetual process: it is only things like disease, weaknesses caused by damage to the bones (through osteoporosis for example, which something like one in 5 people will get), and the effects of a bad diet that cause a person to die - in effect there is no such thing as a person dying of 'old age'.

So given the massive augmentations a space marine's body has had, and its resistance to toxins, diseases, and weaknesses, it should be able to sustain itself indefinately (injuries sustained in battle notwithstanding)

While all that is true tudor. A marine who is not fighting may as well be dead. If their not helping the war effort, it's time to take them outside and unload a bolter into the back of their heads.

In the words of Arnold Rimmer

It's a  kindness.  Like a blind old incontinent sheepdog, he's had his day. Take him out to the barn with a double-barreled shot-gun and blow the mother away.  And I'm only saying that because I'm so fond of him.

Ferrata

Hey hey hey. :o I wanted comments on fluff and a simple answer about how old marines tend to be. Not a health class. :devil: But anyway I'm guessing Rogal Dorn is still alive? (or at least at the 19th founding so he could have given the first chapter master the hammer?)

But anyway I'm guessing Rogal Dorn is still alive? (or at least at the 19th founding so he could have given the first chapter master the hammer?)

Nope. He was killed boarding a Chaos ship in one of the black crusades (cant think of the number though). Well, I think they found his whole body or maybe just his hand, I've heard different.

Maybe the chapter master of the fists offered the weapon across

Ferrata

some fluff says they have his entire skeleton, and that the skeleton of his hand is engraved and kept seperately from the rest of the skeleton, other fluff says that they only have the skeleton of the hand.

I personally like the ida that he could be out there somewhere, you don't just kill primarchs in my opinion.

But he definately wasn't alive to be handing out trophies and things, if he is alive at all then he is somewhere in the EoT smashing heads.

Re: Ages of Marines. Dante has been the BA Chapter Master for 1100 years. Logan Grimnar has reigned for 5-700. Figure that it probably takes ~50 years from Scout to (Reserve Company) Marine, another 100+ to make it to the Battle Companies, on average, and another probably 2-300 before you're a 'veteran'. Most of the old 'veteran sergeants' have 3-5 century service studs, and some have even more.

No primarchs have been wandering around since roughly M33, maybe M35 at the latest.

Ok i like Ferrata's idea so I'm saying the chapter master at the time gave it to the new chapter master. If you guys could please re-read the fluff and let me know if it makes more sense now I'd appreciate it.

Oh and by the way, yes, I am doing a conversion off of the lysander model and I ^_^ the hammer so I wanted a good explanation of how it could have ended up in the chapter master's hands.

Archived