Blood Drinkers

dragonking

Well I am still working on my Blood Wraiths Diy, but I am gonna make a Blood Drinkers company for my son. He likes Blood Angels but wants to do a successor chapter. So questions...

1. Are they an official chapter?

2. Do they have any fluff?

3. What are there colors?

4. What is there chapter symbol?

5. If there is no fluff, does anyone have any ideas?

6. Which founding are they?

I would like to do them as a DIY format if possible but if not then I will go with established fluff.

The Blood Drinkers are an official Second Founding Successor of the Blood Angels. Their color pattern is red and can be found in Codex Blood Angels as well as on GW's database site. While they share the genetic curse of the Blood Angels, they are noted for being "Codex". What this means with regard to the rules is anyone's guess - it could be that they simply follow Codex Astartes marking guidelines and play just like any other Blood Angels army. Alternately, it could mean that they have deviated from the Blood Angels organization in some way. Other than that there is very little fluff for them. The novel Space Marine by Ian Watson features a Blood Drinkers battle-brother (Captain? I forget his name/rank) who was captured by traitors and crippled. The Imperial Fists return the Blood Drinker to his Chapter at the conclusion of the action. When the Blood Drinker first meets the Imperial Fists he indicates that the Blood Drinkers only drink the blood of their battle-brothers. It's pretty vague and leaves a lot of things unsaid.

Personally, I would play them under the current Blood Angels rules. If I could develop rules for the Blood Drinkers, though (I already did), I'd diminish the Black Rage/Red Thirst rule and take away the Death Company. I'd also remove the Furioso, Sanguinary High Priest (keep normal Apothecaries), and Baal class Predator. I'd basically make them look like a Codex Chapter that has a modified version of the Black Rage rule. This isn't possible in official venues, though. Hopefully the revised Codex Blood Angels will feature rules and fluff for the Blood Drinkers.

Oh can we see those test rules bro T? sounds cool.

The blood drinkers do seem strange. As Molotov says they may perhaps kill off the DC but that seems weird as its like a divine vision from their primarch. The colour scheme could do with tweaking though as the now it looks a little bland :P

Old fluff said that the Omophagea implant that allows a marine to gain knowledge by eating living flesh has given the name to some chapters such as the Blood Drinkers, Flesh Tearers etc. You could use that when developing their fluff. Maybe the Blood Drinkers drink the blood of dead brothers so their knowledge and power won't be completely lost? Is this a company thing or is it a private cermony for the squad? It has a lot of potential anyhow. It might help with the black rage as well?

I agree that their colour scheme needs a little sprucing up, otherwise they will just look like Blood Angels with the wrong markings. You could perhaps add a second minor colour to some parts of the armour, boltgun metal is not often seen on BA successors and is a fairly neutral "colour" that won't take away the overall red impression.

Chalices and cups should naturally be prevalent, there are some grail knight shields you could use for example.

A vision of their primarch being butchered by Horus? Some could easily see it not as a divine vision, but a haunting and torturous hallucination.

How about a vision of their glorius leader putting his life on the line even although he knew it was in vain. Taking on the most powerful Primarch and resisting the temptations of chaos? plus opening the gap in the armour that would seal Horus' doom!

All a matter of perception. I think the Blood Angels see it as a bit of both - just like it rules sometimes it can be a curse othertimes an advantage :P

How about a vision of their glorius leader putting his life on the line even although he knew it was in vain.  Taking on the most powerful Primarch and resisting the temptations of chaos? plus opening the gap in the armour that would seal Horus' doom!

All a matter of perception. I think the Blood Angels see it as a bit of both - just like it rules sometimes it can be a curse othertimes an advantage :P

As we've proved, it's all a matter of interpretation. It's possible that there could be a BA successor that isn't as enamoured with the visions of Sanguinius' death.

Well I am still working on my Blood Wraiths Diy, but I am gonna make a Blood Drinkers company for my son.  He likes Blood Angels but wants to do a successor chapter.  So questions...

1. Are they an official chapter?

Yep. Official second founding ever since Codex: Angels of Death from 2nd ed.

2. Do they have any fluff?

Just a short note saying that they adhere to the codex astartes more strongly than the other Blood angels successors or something like that.

3. What are there colors?

Capt. Stern's index should have it. See previous poster's link.

4. What is there chapter symbol?

A grail with a drop of blood above it (all in black) on a red background with the company colour as a shoulder pad trim. (Unusual for a blood angels successor who normally have their helmet painted the company colour).

6. Which founding are they?

2nd.

I would like to do them as a DIY format if possible but if not then I will go with established fluff.

The Blood Drinkers are a Blood Angels successor chapter that adheres to the codex structure as strictly as possible. However, this is hampered by the red thirst, and therefore I have included No Mercy, No Respite as a trait because all blood angels must have it. I have also included Blessed Be The Warriors because those that succumb to the black rage must go somewhere, and it makes sense that they are placed in veteran assault squads where their berserk state can be controlled to a small extent by the refusal to charge off all on their own. The major drawback had to be Flesh Over Steel because a chapter that occasionally must move towards the enemy would be reluctant to field units that can't fight in close combat.

This chapter was first mentioned in the 2nd ed. Codex: Angels of Death.

Traits: Blessed Be The Warriors, No Mercy, No Respite, Flesh Over Steel

Archived