The Gene Seed Question for a DIY

Calacorm

Ok..

I have finally come up with the name of the chapter in which i am creating.

I am going to call them "The Sons of Veritas" This being said, i am having them come from one of the long line of chapters that were created by the ultramarines stock.

The Question that i had, the Ultramarines had at least 23 chapters created during the 2nd founding. Would it be plausabile that my chapter is an off shoot of, for example, the Black Consules, Nova marines or even the Inceptors? With one of these guys being the originators of The Sons Of Veritas, that should give me plenty of lee way for having my chapter show up somewhere between the 22nd and 27th founding which is what i am thinking about.

How does that jive with you guys?

Regards

I think it's pretty-well accepted that the gene-seed doesn't necessarily have to come from the original chapter. All the Ultramarines successor chapters have "Ultramarines" gene-seed, so it seems perfectly reasonable that a chapter could get its "Ultramarines" gene-seed from any one of these chapters. In some ways, that might make more sense. The High Lords may not want to go knocking on the Ultramarine's doorstep begging for gene-seed every time they want to start a new chapter. Easier, perhaps, to call up some lesser chapter and order them to cough up some of their gene-seed.

Another thing to think about is the chapter that volunteers marines to help train and establish the new chapter. In many ways, these men may have even more to do with shaping the new chapter than the gene-seed.

Well, they will use their stocks they have on Mars. These are sorted by legion, so the Black Consul's seed will be stored as Ultramarine. They will go down as an ultrmarine successor but could be trained by any chapter with the same seed.

Ferrata

There is a post on just this topic in the Chapter Creation Stickythread at the top of the forum... Link.

As each chapter supplies tithed geneseed to the AM on Mars for purity testing, and to aid in the creation of new chapters, I wouldn't personally see anything wrong with saying that the original geneseed that was used came from a specific ultramarines successor chapter... My Scions of Dorn came from Crimson Fist geneseed, and were trained by a cadre of experienced Crimson Fist marines who became the Chapter's first senior officers. ^_^

I would imagine that the adeptus astartes, or any of the High lords would rather procure their Gene-seed directly from the source, than from their successor. though I'm not sure on the subject, I've never heard of such a thing happening.

I would imagine that the adeptus astartes, or any of the High lords would rather procure their Gene-seed directly from the source, than from their successor. though I'm not sure on the subject, I've never heard of such a thing happening.

Hehe, and I would imagine that 'Successor Snobbery' may well exist, with many a chapter master claiming that they came from the original Imperial Fists chapter rather than a 25th founding chapter from the Dorn line that is not nearly as famous... ;)

@ Calacorm - Glad we could help. ^_^

Super!!!!

Just found the perfect hook that would allow me to make my chapter the way I wanted too.

As you know above I am thinking about having my group come from the long list of Ultramarine stock.. (somewhere along the line anyways). Also, to be based somewhere along the fringe of the EOT. So, I here I am trying to figure out how I am going to come up with the story of how and why they are there...

And I found it!!

In some really fine small print below a list where the mention a bunch of chapters and other armies involved with the campaign of the EOT. I found this small section talking about a tomb that makes mention of a group of 20 chapters that were founded with the express purpose of guarding the EOT. This being said, it don

The Astartes Praeses chapters are ones formed to guard the Eye of Terror... no definite founding as far as I can tell, any chapter founded to do so is an Astartes Praeses chapter.

One of them was one of the second founding ultramarines successors. They could come from them, a successor of a Praeses chapter that is also a Praeses chapter...

Which was it now? Bam! Rogue Trader reminds me on MSN that it is the White Consuls.

You don't need to have them cut off in the Eye though... they would just be guarding the exits against traitors. :)

Does this help?

The official fluff fully supports gene-seed coming from Successors and not always from the 1st Founding Chapters.

Practically speaking, there are no more 1st Founding Chapters. The 2nd Founding broke each of the Legions up. So while the Black Consuls might not be the Ultramarines, the original members of that Chapter were Ultramarines and shared the exact same gene-seed. The gene-seed of the 2nd Founding Chapters is just as "pure" as that of the 1st Founding Chapters.

There is also no fluff saying that the gene-seed of Successors (3rd Founding and on) isn't used, and a statement saying that the gene-seed of Successors (any Founding) is used in the creation of new Chapters.

One of them was one of the second founding ultramarines successors.  They could come from them, a successor of a Praeses chapter that is also a Praeses chapter...

You don't need to have them cut off in the Eye though... they would just be guarding the exits against traitors. ;)

Does this help?

It most certinaly does! It opens up alot more doorways to explore.

Thanks!

Archived