Exorsist marines sucsessors

Im not sure what you are meaning. Are you referring to the Exorcists chapter - the one who were "implanted" daemons and then exorcised?

The cannot have successors - successors come from the first founding legions althought they can be trained by some marines from said chapter ;)

The cannot have successors - successors come from the first founding legions althought they can be trained by some marines from said chapter ^_^

I would beg to differ with that, Loki. :) As GW have been ambiguous to say the least on the nuts and bolts of chapter creation, there is leeway. Quoting myself from a recent thread:

As each chapter supplies tithed geneseed to the AM on Mars for purity testing, and to aid in the creation of new chapters, I wouldn't personally see anything wrong with saying that the original geneseed that was used came from a specific ultramarines successor chapter... My Scions of Dorn came from Crimson Fist geneseed, and were trained by a cadre of experienced Crimson Fist marines who became the Chapter's first senior officers.

The original thread is here, link, and until GW pulls their finger out and clarifies, this seems as logical as any other method, and has the potential for a lot of character I feel. :)

On the subject of the Exorcists having successors, I would be unsure. I get the impression they keep their dirty little secret very, well, secret, and revealing it to others, even successors doesn't sit well with me. For instance the Dark Angels never told their (non-Unforgiven) successors about the Fallen. If you are desperate to do such a chapter then you could always play the Exorcists themselves...

I knew you were going to come out with your crimson successors :)

I still think the geneseed would be the same as the founding legion...unless it mutates for some reason.

I.e in my opinion black Templar and Crimson fist geneseed is effectively the same as Imperial Fists. Im not a fluff buff though ^_^

The geneseed may deviate slightly over the millenia, but my point is that the AM have stocks to test for purity, so it would be labelled, even if it was within a larger cryo-warehouse for 'Dorn' geneseed.

If you were going to create a chapter, as the AM do from that stock, then it would make sense for both the geneseed and the 'veteran marine cadre' to have come from the same Chapter.

Aww booo your probably right ^_^ .

I do agree thats its unlikely the Exorcists have no successors. They seem to be a test project for the inquisition so to make another similar chapter would probably not be advisable for a while

Actually, GW has said that successor Chapters can create other successor Chapters.

As far as the Exorcists are concerned, though, who else knows about their little secret? It's highly unlikely that either Adeptus Mechanicus or the High Lords of Terra know, and they're the ones who are most likely to choose which Chapters get to bear successors.

So let's say that the Emperor, through the High Lords of Terra, determines that there will be a new founding. For some reason the Exorcists are chosen to be one of the Chapters honored with providing gene-seed for one of the new Chapters (maybe they did something noteworthy, maybe they just got lucky). So the Adeptus Mechanicus dips into its store of Exorcists gene-seed, already determined to be pure (whether or not any of the organs are functional).

Do the Exorcists have to train their successor? No.

Do they even have to know that they have a successor? No.

Does their penchant for possession and exorcism change their gene-seed in any way? I don't know.

If it doesn't and the Exorcists don't have any part in the upbringing of the new Chapter, the new successor would be like any other Chapter.

If it doesn't and the Exorcists do have a part in the upbringing of the new Chapter, would the Exorcists incorporate their own rituals into the new Chapter's practices? I can't say. It could go either way.

Would the Exorcists even tell a new Chapter of their little secret? Probably not, but that's not for me to say.

Ultimately, you could say that your DIY is an Exorcists successor, but that it has no semblance to their progenitor with regard to possession and exorcism of members.

If you really want to play a Chapter that possesses its battle-brothers, then exorcises them, I'd second the suggestion that you simply use the Exorcists. This is one of those things that is probably unique to the Exorcists. That's just my NSHO, though.

hmmmn...

well i wasnt exactly going for for the posses then exorcise thing...

so its entirly possible that they would have a successor chapter... i was just wondering would the exorsist geneseed develope in order to aid in the exorsition? or would that not have an effect on the geneseed...

can anyone speculate on the effects exorsist training may have on a chapter?

If gene-seed were to be affected, it would most likely be corruption/mutation in such a way that it would be quickly determined to be impure - the Adeptus Mechanicus would likely not use it and alert the High Lords of Terra that a Chapter has radically mutated gene-seed.

As far as how the training in exorcism/daemon-hunting goes, that would likely have no affect on gene-seed and wouldn't carry over to any Successors.

I would speculate that, from a rules-perspective, training in exorcism/daemon-hunting would be similar to having a preferred enemy, but instead of xenos, that enemy would be daemons. That's not possible under the current rules, though, so you can't use it in "official" games/tournaments. You would definitely need your opponent's consent to use it.

If you really want to see my ideas on the Exorcists (and find out all about their fluff), check out my Codex: Exorcists discussion. I've actually modified the rules a little from what you see, based on discussion on the last two pages. The final version of my rules will be published to my own web site (whenever I get that published to the web). It's all homegrown stuff, but I go fairly in-depth about various things that might be of interest to you (minus any discussion of Successors).

we'll I was planning on making my chapter renegades but I see them as an older chapter so I dont think I want there geneseed mutating too quickly... maybe they are more open to the effects of possetion as a deamon could already see where his brethren had failed? maybe it is easyier for chaos to alter them with its touch?

i dont want them to be exactly like the exorsists as well, I wanted renagades... but being exorsists and perhaps falling chaos in some shape or form... seems to me to add a sort of fallen son of the invincible father kind of feel...

any thoughts on the way it would change there customs... such as ritualls and the like?

I don't think that the Daemonic Possession would have affected the gene-seed. If successors were drawn from the Exorcists' gene-seed (which is unlikely) I don't think it would make them more or less susceptible to daemonic possession.

If you're after the 'fallen son of the invicible father' - the Emperor is the most invincible father you're going to get. He actually made the chaos gods afraid. Some of the Exorcists already re-succumb to Daemonic Possession. I think that you should either make your army Exorcists with all that entails, or make them a totally seperate DIY with no real connection.

The Emperor to me isnt really there father, hes there creator. Hell he pretty much made the primarchs didnt he? tho I understand they are related to him genetivly somehow :wacko: .

Besdies the chapters now are so diverse that well not all of them share a conection so I suppose he is there only one and well having 1000 groups of brothers with little incommon than there father seems pretty strange... (and the fact that most of them would have the ultras geneseed, or one of its successors :P )

having a chapter as a father figure seems more... sensible? you would then see the geneseed as a bond as genes are to normal siblings you would have some contact even if it was limited with your 'father' you would be you direct decendent of you 'father' not an offshoot of an offshoot of an offshoot... u get the idea.

and the idea of them having successors was already covered... tho if I did one I would not have them possesed or even know what the exorcists go through... heck maybe them having successors is another part of the experiment? Still im extreemly interested in the effects this may have on the practices and beleifs of the chapter.

even if I do not use the idea for a DIY. sigh... curiosity what a curse...

Archived