Chapter master

Jkaen

Hey guys just messing around modelling a chapter master for my DIY and I thought I may as well throw some rules at him, wondered if you could give me your thoguhts on the following. Oh should probably say its for a rogue chapter (but still loyal in their own minds):

Starting point = Master Librarian.

Loose second psychic power (first power to be the reroll one) and force weapon and gain the commander power rites of battle

take wargear of: bolt pistol, term honours, familiar, 4+ ward field thing, hammer of the stars (at start of combat can declare either to use it 1 handed and counts as power weapon, or 2 handed and counts as thunder hammer)

Points wise I was just going to go out the book with the following reasoning:

based off the deamon hunters book the force weapon is 40 points, seems you dont pay at base level for the second power so I gain no points there, but I would not have thought rites was worth an additional 40 points (over half the cost of the commander)

The weapon i would just price at the sum of its parts, the added functionality of choice being offset the having to use it 2 handed as a hammer.

What are your thoughts? too powerful or not powerful enough for a chapter master, and is my pricing about right?

Well, most of it could be done without making up any special rules, or even doing "lose this". Just go codex and use "count as"

I would go:

Epistolary

- Might of Heros

- Veil of Time

- Force Weapon (represents power-weapon/thunderhammer)

- Bolt Pistol

- Familar

- Iron Halo

- Honours

Now just do some renaming. A couple of rules which are acutally normal rules, just from a different view. This means you can use him everywhere

. Oh should probably say its for a rogue chapter (but still loyal in their own minds):

Everytime that hook is used, the Liber mods kill a puupy (I shoud know, I saw Neph kill one yesterday)

Ferrata

I would definitely go with the idea of using the 'Counts-as' rule for rather than making up special house rules. It will stretch your creativity more, and in the end give you a more satisfying character that is actually game-legal. ;)

In fact, a chapter master can even be represented by the normal statline you would give a captain, but if you want you can give him all manner of fancy wargear to reflect his high office.

The thing that makes any marine character 'special' is that they have an original, compelling background story (and perhaps a cool conversion and paintjob), not outlandish 'special' rules. :D

Oh, and to set the story straight, the Liber mods definitely don't kill puppies when people talk about loyal rogue chapters.

However, when a missing legion of female marines emerges after being lost in the warp and a rogue inquisitor secretly clones them and then says that they are pure because they are such good fighters... then the kittens had better hide. ;) ;)

Oh, and to set the story straight, the Liber mods definitely don't kill puppies when people talk about loyal rogue chapters.

Hmmm, guess thats just me then. But for some reason I'm having a hard time persuading the RSPCA that the puppies did it because they joined a cult...

Anyway, I second (or third) the use of counts as rather than special rules, the fluff makes the model, not the gadgets. If you look closely a few of Gws special characters are basically just normal characters, but noone notices because of the cool background.

There is another POV ... making new rules for your dude. Another part that makes him "special" is that he has toys no-one in the galaxy has.

BUT there are problems with this:

**** Do your friends agree with your ideas? (If not, then you worked for self gratification only),

* You could never use him in a tournament,

* As soon as you introduce him to a public forum like this he will get remoulded or shot-down,

* If you can't handle any criticism then you made the mistake.

Some people in Liber have retorted, "Well I like it so I will not change it" ... then why bring it to us? Just to show off your creativity? You bet. (Keep in mind "you" is a general term here).

The safe way at the B+C is as has been said ... if you really want to play with him, then use stuff anyone can buy, change a name of two (creativity here!), make a snazy model (oh look, more creativity!), and revel in the satisfaction that the next game you play your Chapter Master will be leading your armies to victory ... legally.

;)

The key is the first bullet above. If you make a set of rules that your friends can live with when you pull out the big boy then go for it!!

But your gaming friends and public message boards are two different things - ESPECIALLY with special character creation.

Good luck with it - I'll keep an eye out ;)

Although everybody on these boards is a bit keener on the fluff than most, I still consider it a good sounding board for what most peoples opinion will be, hence if it gets shot down into pieces on here, chances are I will struggle to find people ok with it when I game.

As for the rogue bit, I didnt think that was such a big no no, maybe slightly overused, but still valid, and I havent included any part of

However, when a missing legion of female marines emerges after being lost in the warp and a rogue inquisitor secretly clones them and then says that they are pure because they are such good fighters... then the kittens had better hide.

in my background (which isn't quite ready to be assasinated yet).

Anyway thanks for your replies, look like i better stick to playing things out of the book

EDIT: actually, while I have your attention maybe you can help with the fluff, I have the chapter at point A (loyal codex chapter, nothing special) and at point C (rogue chapter, fleet based, strong links to pirates, various other aspects due to their hiding from "the man" :) ) The problem is point B, I cant come up with a good reason for them to be on the run that doesnt add alot of unwanted baggage (for example i thought of flaw in gene seed that showed as minor psychic abilities in all marines, however I dont really want suspect geneseed nor do I want lots of psychers). Maybe if I just got barraged by a few ideas of what would get a chapter outlawed I could find 1 that fits.

Archived