Harvesters of Sorrow

relishman

Hey, i'm new to this site and i figured introducing my custom marines chapter would be a cool way to start off getting to know each other. my marines are called the harvesters of sorrow, and they are jet black, with green trims and bolters. the chapter symbol is a scythe with a teardrop dripping from the blade. i'm also going to start to use the blood angels rules for them, the reason is explained in the fluff.

The Harvesters of Sorrow were founding during the 19th founding, founded with the Ultramarines geneseed, and were created for the soul purpose of suppressing Chaos incursions in the Eye of Terror sector and were based on a Morbidus Prime, a world so close to the Eye, that the planet itself was mildly twisted by the daemonic radiation of the warp seeping out of the Eye of Terror. For many years, the Harvesters of Sorrow defended the Imperial worlds around the Eye from countless attacks, and has even supported in defeating the Black Crusades that Abaddon has launched. But being so close to the Eye has taken it's toll on the chapters sanity, and they are subject to sudden fits of rage in the midst of battle, caused by the warp eating away at the minds of even the most resolute marines.

When Abaddon launched his 13th Black Crusade, The chapters reputation of successful battles against Chaos came to an abrupt end. Morbidus Prime was one of the first worlds hit by the Despoiler's Chaos Legions in the massive campaign, and as the world came under attack by the combined forces of the Death Guard and the Word Bearers, the Harvesters of Sorrow fought bravely in a battle they knew they would inevitably lose. The traitor legions destroyed a full 6 companies of the chapter, and Master Callous Arbitus gave the order to retreat, leaving the world to become a blasted, diseased hunk of rock.

The Harvesters continued to fight the legions of Chaos with what was left of their devastated chapter, and to this day continue to serve the Imperium loyally, travelling amidst the stars, and dropping down on planets besieged by Chaos, proclaiming the litanies of hate and slamming the hammer of mankind on the traitoris scum of Chaos.

Well, thats it. what do you all think?

Looks like a good start. :)

The only thing I would say is that the writing looks a bit clumsy in places. For example your first sentence could be broken down into at least two sentences, something like this:

The Harvesters of Sorrow were founded during the 19th founding from Ultramarine geneseed, with the soul purpose of suppressing Chaos incursions in the sector arround the Eye of Terror. They took Morbidus Primeas their homeworld, a world so close to the Eye that the planet itself was mildly twisted by the daemonic radiation of the warp seeping out of the Eye of Terror.

One of the things I'm finding hardest about writing up my fluff is actually getting the ideas down onto paper into a form that is readable. I'm sure the more knowledgeable members of the forum people could pull apart my effort above with ease ;)

Do you have anymore fluff for them? How has beeing so close to the EoT effected their view of the Emperor? What is their combat doctrine like? Has it changed since their defeat on Morbidus Primeas? Has that defeat effected their outlook? I can see quite a lot of potential for an interesting chapter. ;)

ya i'm going to be adding more to it as it comes to me. they started out a vanilla marines but i'm going to be turning them into blood angels, but only the rules for them, to reflect the damaged sanity of the marines, so they are going to play like them, with a death company style squad called The Legion of Sorrow, and they'll have the red thirst etc, etc, but they'll still be my own chapter, with a different story as to why they go nuts.

I'll start out by saying I don't like the story you've designed for you chapter. I don't normally do that, but there are some fundamental problems in your chapter that I think need considering.

The idea of a praeses chapter is certainly cool, though it limits your opponents. I really don't like the idea of Morbidus Prime being twisted by 'daemonic radiation'. For a start, unless a daemonworld (such as the one Typhus took as his own) I doubt a world would be twisted. And why on earth would a marine chapter settle on it if that was the case? Marines are warned that the touch of chaos warped. Being near such a source of mutation would be asking for corruption. Thirdly, they would know that they would be a target for chaos if they settled there. I'd have to raise serious questions about the strategic acumen of your chapter master.

I think you could still sustain heavy casualties in the 13th Black Crusade without needing a daemonically twisted homeworld. No Space Marine chapter would ever knowingly settle on a twisted daemonworld.

I look forward to seeing the next draft of your chapter's history, though - they have some great potential.

I do find that 'Harvesters of Sorrow' is a bit of a clumsy name, however. I personally like 'The Legion of Sorrow', but that's entirely up to you.

Ok i gave it a day of thought and i decided to redo the whole thing, Renaming them the Warders of Terra, painting them Imperial Purple, with Enchanted Blue trims, armor edges and bolters, symbol is Earth with a Blue crucifix behind it, and i'm working on the fluff. btw Harvesters of Sorrow is the name of a metallica song.

ya, i dont feel like dipping the guys i got done in simple green, so i'm just keeping them green n' black, and using the wing waterslide on the space marines transfer sheet, calling them The Angels of Desolation. making a new post for these guys tho cuz they're gonna have a big back story.

Archived