Blood Dragons

blooddragon

Ok before I start I read the DIY thread of Do's and Dont's.

Chapter Name: Blood Dragons

Founding: 7th

Geneseed: Ultramarines

Chapter Master: Lord Angus Blood-toothe

Homeworld: Dragonwright

Colors: Bleached Bone with white chest emblem, red shoulder pads with black trim.

Symbol: Forward faceing dragons head with Blood drop in the middle of forehead.

Mutations: Older members of the chapter develop wings that resemble dragon winds, small claws from there knucles and canine fangs. Heavier bone structure and slightly larger then normal marines. Draw back, makes them slowier and less maeuverible.

Battle Techniques: BA Codex

I would like to keep them from being renegade but with the mutations I am not sure if that is possible. But I know the black dragons mutation is known and allowed by the inquisition. I will post more fluff when I get feed back on the intitial idea. So fire away, I know the slamming is comming.

Edited by blooddragon

I think your wanting the Cursed Founding (21st) over the Dark Founding. The 21st had all the chapters go wrong (Black Dragons, Flame Falcons) while the 13th was just a mystery.

You dont need the BA seed to use the BA rules. I'm thinking of using them and the Wings are a Ultramarine seed.

Not sure how the Inq would go with them, but I would like to see an accepted cursed chapter.

Ferrata

Ok sorry for mix up then they will be 21st founding. But how to explain the use of BA rules then, like the Red thirst and Black Rage, and Death Company. And did not know about ultramarines and wings. Didn't sanquinuis have wings?

Once I hammer out these things i will delve deeper into the fluff.

They let the Black Dragons have the bone extensions from there elbows.

Edited by blooddragon

did not know about ultramarines and wings. Didn't sanquinuis have wings?

I'm sorry, I've confused you there. The Wings is short for the Wings of Death, my DIY chapter. Sangie did have wings :unsure:

You could explain that it is just a battle fury, nothing to do with genetics. Maybe they could be the ones which have fully mutated. Take Jump Packs, modelled as wings, and then power weapons as the claws.

Ferrata

Homeworld: Dragonwright

Ferral world with large indiginous flying reptiles, that resemble mythalogical dragons, they have been domesticated to a point and are haled by local populus as children of the ancient gods. Only powerful Warlords and elite warriors are allowed to keep them as "pets"/familiars. These warriors are known as the Dragon Riders.

The prodiminat religion is a Dragon cult. They worship Malchavious the Dragon king oldest and most powerful of there gods. One of his seven wives was Serphram there goddess of fertility. She bore him two sons, one Man and one beast "Dragons". These are revered and holy animals to these people. to drink the blood of one of these large beasts is in there eyes to gain its power and become unequaled in combat by all except another who has drunk the blood of such a beast. It is forbidden to kill one solely for this reason. But capturing them and only takeing small amounts of there blood for such a purpose is acceptable.

Like birds there are many different species of this creature on this world. The people of this world resemble an early medieval society.

Still working on this.

Edited by blooddragon

The thirst could be for the warriors who have participated in the blood rituals of the Dragons Blood IE the vetrans etc. The Black Rage equivilent could be them succuming to the more beastial mutations of the Dragon. Then they are formed together in a DC style company called the Order of Tiamat...(I know plagerizeing D&D)..or something along those lines.

For the homeworld, maybe go for something less obvious for your theme. I would change the name of the dragon kind, unless Daeothor is some mythical creature. The rest seems ok.

For the curse, you've already said this:

Older members of the chapter develop wings that resemble dragon winds, small claws from there knucles and canine fangs. Heavier bone structure and slightly larger then normal marines. Draw back, makes them slowier and less maeuverible

You've had them elvoving wings and heavier bone structure. This leads me to think that some of the marines have heavier bones than their wings can carry. Maybe go for something like this.

All marines grow wings from an early age (so model all marines with little dragon wings on their backs). It is unrealiable that these wings can carry their bone structures. Those who is lucky enough to have large enough wings go into the death company. So you get something like this

Small Wings gives them Furious Charge (can run a little quicker)

Bone Blades also shows Furious Charge (hit quicker)

Large Wings - DC jump packs

Thick Bones - Feel no Pain

Ferrata

Geneseed mixing isn't overdone, it's NEVER done. It is forbidden, and I don't think it's even physically possible without gene splicing, which I don't think the AM does. If you want BA rules, just do their geneseed. The Salamanders don't have any mutations, so you really don't need them in here at all. Also I think that many noticable mutations would get the chapter pruged and disbanded.

I thought during the cursed founding they did play with Geneseed manipulation. As for the mutations the only really noticible one is the wings. I am not sure if that would be a reson for there destruction. Sanguinuis had wings, Black Dragons have bone pertrusions from there elbows...etc. I was informed that Brother Taloc has a very similiar chapter so I may go back to the drawing board. Kind of hard to know if your being original because there is no updated listing of posted DIY's. Not sure...if he is in another complete hemisphere were are armies could never come in contact then I will see. Don't want to be looked at as an Idea thief...

I know Taloc is concerned, but I'm not seeing that much similarity yet, I don't get it.

Anyways, the mutation of a primarch is different than that of a chapter. Way back when, the Emperor was in charge, and they could get away with that stuff. The High Lords aren't so lenient, though, and the fact that the Black Dragons are somehow donating pure genseed for their tithe is the only reason they've not been wiped out.

As for manipulating geneseed, I'm not sure WHAT exactly was done, but all I know is that there is no point for it to have happened with your army. Besides, Sallies geneseed would be likely to supress mutation more than anything.

Ok I think I am going to stick with my Idea and just do some tweeking of it. Still debating on name change.

1.Wings still only occur with some older Marines, and they are place in a Death Company style unit. With the exception of there Chapter Master. He has not succumb to the Blood of the Dragon and thus has not become a "Man Beast."

2. Fangs are motation that occurs in all brothers.

3. Claws will only occur in older marines also, first stage to there change, followed by the development of wings.

Were there Marine chapters from earlier foundings besides the 13th and 21st that developed mutations or "differences". Would like to make them older then 21st but if not a possibility then will stay where they are.

Gator, you think I should go with strait Blood Angel geneseed and just go with the founding as some explination for the mutation. Or since there world they do drink the dragons blood in rituals maybe there blood has strong genetic influence, combined with the transformation into marines and maybe an over active or inactive implant causes the eventual mutation. This could also be used to explain there hevier bone structure.

If you're using the BA rules, then yeah, having the stinkin' muties put in a death sqaud type unit would be best. Earlier chapters did have mutations, though....namely the Blood Angels! Not to mentions the Raven Guard and the Space Pups. I don't think there have been any mutations between first and 21st foundings mentioned in official fluff, though. I guess having so many Ultra successors is part of that.

As for the reason, see if you can't find out what part of a BA's geneseed has gone bad. Have the dragoon blood corrupt that somehow. The simple solutions tend to be the good ones.

Geneseed mixing isn't overdone, it's NEVER done. It is forbidden, and I don't think it's even physically possible without gene splicing, which I don't think the AM does

It can be done, It has been done. I cant remember the chapters name, but they had mix-seed (didnt add anything to them).

You dont have to have the BA seed to use BA rules. The BA rules can be used to represent any chapter of any seed. You've just got to make sure the rules fit the background.

As for what went wrong. I cant remember where I've read this (maybe on of the other BA successors) but all marines can absorb genetic information from what they eat. Maybe theres is over reactive, and after drinking the dragons blood they start becoming more dragon like.

On a side note of Similar Chapters. No-one owns the rights (besides GW) to a chapter name, a chapters background or a theme. If you posted a chapter with a similar theme to mine, I would watch to see where your goes. I would also say "look, heres my chapter. Its very similar, it might help". So dont go changing ideas because some one elses army is similar.

Ferrata

Thanks for the info Ferrata, I am only changeing minor things. The Geneseed issue is the only real problem. Maybe I will make the Ultramarine stock, but one of there implants is overactive. That combined with there consumption of Dragonsblood and there genetic absorbtion of it causes mutation over long periods of time. the fangs are an initial mutation because the warriors consume blood in one of there intial rights wich causes that change. They were originally a codex chapter but because of the mutations they adapt a battle stratedgy similiar to the Blood Angels. Also because with the mutations, the thirst for more Dragons Blood becomes a driving mechanism,and there mutations cause an animal like rage similiar to the black rage.

By the way how did you post the wings of death image, I.E. creating it and attaching it.

Edited by blooddragon

Here's my take on the whole mutations thing.

There was a slight problem with the omophagea, possibly down to a mutation, possibly down to the way it is implanted. This has caused some of the marines bodies to not only learn from the genetic information in the dragon

You're not plagiarizing D&D any more than they're plagiarizing ancient legends. Tiamat was originally...I think the original mother dragon in Greek mythology.

Actually Tiamat is a bloated dragon in Babylonian myth that personifies the Water of Chaos (saltwater ocean). Pantheon.org is an indispensable resource for ripping off mythology for 40K, WHFB, DnD or pretty much anything else. But anyway, that whole Water of Chaos thing makes me wonder just how loyal this chapter is, and would probably make the inquisition wonder too. Combined with the heavy mutation, this chapter seems like a prime candidate for "We Stand Alone", if you go with the traits. That or if you stick with the BA rules, I don't think you can take allies anyway.

@blooddragon: Normal Marines already have a heaver bone structure than normal humans. If the dragons you are getting genes from use their wings for flying, then their genes should, if anything, lighten a Marine's bone structure. Flying creatures thend to have lighter bone structure than ground dwellers.

@Palladorus: Gracias for the linkage.