Want to make Imperial Fist successor

TheDean

I was trying to think of some name for my DIY chapter based on the IF doctrine of war (and their gene seed of corse). Sons of Terra had crossed my mind, but it seems to lack energy. Any ideas would be helpful!

Also was is this iron skull I keep hearing about for IF Vet Sarges and such? Also any pics of one would be great too! Thanks in advance!

To be honest, almost any naming convention could be used for an Imperial Fists successor. My personal feeling, which seems to be contrary to that of many vocal members here, is that a Chapter's name doesn't have to be tied to its character and combat doctrine. But that's just me. :)

Are you going for a name that makes it glaringly obvious that they are descendants of Dorn?

As far as the Iron Skull device, according to Codex Ultramarines (2nd edition), this device was used by the Imperial Fists to indicate Sergeants (not just Veteran Sergeants). By extension, this device would also be used in conjunction with the standard veteran marking (typically a red helmet ridge) to indicate a Veteran Sergeant.

+++START TRASMISSION+++

I think it's really cool for some one to do what you are doing. A chapter name has to have presence. When you shout "WE ARE THE WHATEVERS" by yourself you can't feel stupid if you have a good name. Also there are loads of cool names in mythology. Cronus the name of my chaplain in my crimson fists army and user name is one of the greek titans more powerful than gods them selves.

Whatever you go for you have to like it no-one else.

+++END TRANSMISSION+++

I think it's silly to have a name that doesn't fit your chapter's theme and combat doctrine. However, it need not reflect that of their predecessor chapter. Just because they use IF geneseed and techniques doesn't mean their name has to be....handy, so to speak. Pick a theme you like and run with it.

In addition to Brother Tyler's explanation of the Iron Skull, I'd like to point out that the badge in question usually took the form of a red skull icon on either the helmet or worked into the chapter badge on the left shoulder and possibly on the right as well. Often in conjunction with the codex style red helmet stripe.

And preemptively; the Iron Halo used to be the designation for Squadleader, which, in 2nd ed, was a second in command for the Sergeant if you will. By those rules it was possible to split up a squad in mid battle, with the Sergeant controlling one half and the Squadleader taking control of the other half. These two units were then called Combat Squads. The Iron Halo was a red halo shape interposed on the chapter badge, like the Iron Skull for the Sergeant. Only in 3rd edition did it become a piece of wargear and did it lose its Squadleader designation function.

On another note, these icons were red in colour even though they were called 'Iron' because red's the colour Iron turns when oxidizing. (okay; orange really but who's counting eh?)

Archived