Some help please!

Kaldoth

I was painting up a spare marine I had for a bit of fun, and for some reason when I painted the armour yellow, the colour turned a very dark brown :D At first I was like "Well crap, now Ive got to get rid of that pot of paint" but, I after looking at it for a bit, I discovered I quite like the colour :) I like the colour so much, I think Im going to start up an army of these guys! However, Im having a bit of trouble coming up with a Chapter name. So, hopefully thats where you guys come in. Ive never been good with naming chapters/characters/whatever else might need naming, so Im looking for a bit of help. Now, when the colour turned up brown, I automatically thought "bear," (as the colour reminds me of bear fur) so Im hoping to include the word bear, or something related, in the chapter name. Also, as bears are quite strong and I like close combat oriented armies, I thought it would be appropriate. Heres a sample of the full colour scheme:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/Kaldoth/marine.gif

Im not sure on a chapter symbol either, so Id appreciate some help with that aswell! Thanks! ;)

-Kaldoth

EDIT: Oh, can anyone suggest a colour for the bolter? The grey looks a bit out of place against the brown...

I think silver would work well for the bolter. As for the symbol, maybe a bears head? Or simpler, maybe some kind of symbol of strength or something? I'm a little blank on those right now. As for the chapter name, I'm not sure bears can really work with much without sounding too different. Take a look at Orkdung's list, he posted, and see if you like any of these names-

Angelic, Angels, Badger/s, Bears, Bearers, Black, Blazing, Blizzard/s, Blood, Blue, Brazen, Bringers, Brotherhood, Brothers, Callous, Celestial, Champions, Chastisers, Claws, Crimson, Crusaders, Cyclone/s, Dark, Dead, Death, Destroyers, Devils, Dogs, Dominous, Doom, Dragon/s, Dragoons, Eagles, Emperor's, Evocators, Fists, Falcons, Fire, Flesh, Furies, Fury, Giant/s, Grey, Griffons, Guard, Guardians, Hawks, Heralds, Host, Hounds, Hunters Ghost, Hydra/s, Imperial, Inferno, Inflictors, Iron, Jaguars, Knights, Legion, Light, Lions, Lords, Luminous, Lurkers, Lustrous, Mailed, Malleus (hammer), Marauders, Marines, Masters, Millennial, Night, Nightmare, Nox (dead of Night), Omega (any greek letter really), Obsidian, Order, Panthers, Paladins, Penguins, Phalanx, Phantom, Purity, Questors, Raider/s, Rampagers, Ravens, Red, Rock, Searing, Shining, Silver, Skulls, Sons, Space, Star, Storm, Taloned, Talons, Tearers, Templars, Thrasher/s, Tigers, Ultima, Ultimate, Ultra, Vengance, Valedictors, Vindicators, War, Warriors, Weilders, White, Wind, Wolves, Wyverns, Zephyrs

Maybe for something simple, a bears claw. The Space Wolf decal sheet has a paw print for their wolf insignia which looks quite effective. You could pad it out to be a bears print. Prolly not to difficult to paint freehand if you are that way inclined.

++EDIT++ missed out the word "insignia".

Aurelias Rex: Thanks for the link! That is really helpful :D

Anyway, I whipped this badge up on MS paint. (hence the crappy quality :)) What do you all think:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/Kaldoth/badge1.jpg

-Kaldoth

Well, I was going to link you to my post, but Aurelius beat me. Whilst Imperial Gothic is 'latin', and it's used for flavour, I have to say that I don't like latin chapter names. They're not that easy for people to pronounce and remember, and they've always struck me as a bit pretentious. But that's just my thoughts.

I agree with Molotov. Latin chapter names can seem misplaced. While it might be nice to have the latin version of the name, I would always use the english version as it seems to fit better within the 40k Universe. For example, Pennae Mortiferus can roughly (if so what poorly) be translated to Wings [of] Death, my chapter. The english seems better.

As for names, if you want to include Bear in the name, then chose either an element or something similar to go before-hand.

Ferrata

I agree with Molotov. Latin chapter names can seem misplaced. While it might be nice to have the latin version of the name, I would always use the english version as it seems to fit better within the 40k Universe. For example, Pennae Mortiferus can roughly (if so what poorly) be translated to Wings [of] Death, my chapter. The english seems better.

As for names, if you want to include Bear in the name, then chose either an element or something similar to go before-hand.

Ferrata

I can see what you mean by the latin name thing. It is a bit hard to pronounce, and doesnt stick well. The only other name I can think of is Bear Claws, but thats also a donut ^_^

-Kaldoth

To be honest, a lot of it depends on the theme and background to you chapter. We could suggest the Fire Claws or the Ice Claws. Both are fine as names go, but which suits a chapter from a volcanic world better?

Put some work into the other areas of your chapter, and let your chapter's name be one of the last things you choose.

Despite the warning above about the overuse of 40K 'gothic latin', it might be worth considering that 'Ursine' is a bear-related word. Wikipedia is handy for some inspiration. Linky.

So you could have Lords of Ursus (their homeworld?), Ursine Brotherhood, Marines Ursine etc, etc, all of which have a link - however tentative - to bears without using the slightly un-mariney word 'bears' in the chapter name.

Just me, but it makes me think of cute, cuddly teddy bears on the front of a birthday card rather than a savage kodiak, somehow. ;)

I do remember that on Dakka Dakka they had quite an impressive Bear-themed SM Chapter, perhaps if you wandered over there (making sure to return to the safe and loyal confies of the B&C, of course ;) ) you cuold pick up something inspiring.

Ursine Exemplars?

The Knights Ursidae?

Meh.

Archived