Blame Melechor...

A discussion with Melechor in my IA: Castigators thread brought my attention back to these guys, and I figured that it might be good to revive them and brush the dust off the ancient files... ^_^

Firstly, a disclaimer. I'm no longer a 40k table-top player, so this chapter is not 'mine'. Anyone who reads and likes them can feel free to use them. They're not fantastic, but I have no real use for them anymore. Perhaps someone out there will like them and decide to use them. The addition of some pieces of history (like the Dark Angels) were to justify the Space Wolf/13th Company rules.

The Martyrs of Elysius

The Martyrs of Elysius are a chapter shrouded in the mists of time and the endless bureaucracy of the Imperium. Very little information can be found on them in any Imperial record, and the Inquisition is, for the most part, reluctant to make things any clearer.

Origins

It is unknown when the Martyrs of Elysius were created, or from what gene-seed they were created, but it is known that they were once called the Heralds of Righteousness. Inquisitor-Lord Kyjen of the Ordo Malleus wrote a thesis in late .M40 theorising that the chapter was created with the same gene-seed that was used to create the traitor legions. He even went so far as to postulate that they could even own their parentage to Mortarion of the Death Guard.

Kyjen's theories were discredited by several other high-ranking Inquisitors and by the Adeptus Terra, who pointed to the fact that the Traitor Legions' gene-seed was secured within time-locked stasis vaults on Terra itself. Kyjen was executed for his heresy only a year after the publication of his thesis.

The first verifiable reports of a Space Marine force bearing the colours of the Heralds of Righteousness dates to .M36, in the aftermath of the Age of Apostasy. It is entirely possible that they were in the Emperor's service before this, but it is likely that any records were lost, deleted or simply misplaced in this turbulent time.

In this documented action, the Heralds of Righteousness were tasked with reclaiming an Imperial Cardinal world that had fallen to damnation and sin. Seduced by the apostate teachings of the planet's ruler, Cardinal Lankast, the populace had begun worshipping the dark powers of Chaos openly. The Space Marines' fleet arrived in orbit around the world, and rapidly deployed using their Thunderhawks.

By all reports, the Heralds of Righteousness performed with exemplary skill at arms, efficiently securing a bridgehead despite coming facing heavy - yet disorganised - resistance from the native populace. They advanced quickly and within three weeks had retaken the whole planet - except the Cardinal's palace.

It would later be discovered that the Lankast had become a student of Tzeentch after his men discovered a supply of forbidden texts. Rather than immediately ordering them to be burnt, the Cardinal's curiosity forced him to read the texts, corrupting him forever.

The Cardinal's Palace was a bewildering, confusing trap, designed to destroy the Heralds of Righteousness utterly. Corridors would inexplicably turn back on themselves; walls would shrink or suddenly weep blood. Gibbering daemons would appear inexplicably and cause heavy casualties before disappearing. The palace also hid a deadly surprise - a contingent of the Thousand Sons, loyal servants of Tzeentch.

The Heralds sustained heavy casualties at the hands of the Thousand Sons. The traitor marines worked ruthlessly and efficiently, appearing only to attack the Heralds and then disappear again. Some marines were turned mad by the surreal sights they were exposed to, and had to be shot by their comrades. Others gouged their eyes out so they could only see the radiance of the Emperor.

One of the Heralds' Chaplains, a pious and noble warrior, led the forces in prayer. The chaplain's name has been lost in the annals of time, but his plan seemed to work. Their faith fortified and restored, the Space Marines broke free of the illusions and destroyed the Thousand Sons before finding and killing the Cardinal. Three days later Imperial Guard forces arrived on the planet and the Heralds of Righteousness left orbit.

Homeworld

The Heralds of Righteousness made the planet of Elysius their base of operations. While most chapters of the Adeptus Astartes choose planets that are inimical to life, Elysius was a world of paradise, a world of lush forests, mountains, glades and rivers, Elysius was a haven from the battlefields of the Imperium. Elysius helped to remind the Heralds of Righteousness exactly what they were fighting for.

The inhabitants of Elysius were a hardy, pious people. They trained from an early age to hunt wildlife in the planet's forests. Moving silently was a skill that the Heralds valued, and infiltration became a valued battle tactic. It was said that since the world was settled in the Great Crusade, not one enemy of the Imperium had set foot on Elysius. In the end, however, it was the Imperium itself that Elysius had to fear.

The Martyr

First off, I'd like to thank you for posting this. Your IA was the final "push" to help me complete my own, so thank you Molotov. ;)

Now, on to the IA!

It is postulated that Techmarines are no longer in service in the chapter, due of the lack of vehicles used by the Martyrs.
Well, I do believe that techmarines are also responsible for armor/weapon repair, and are probably used on the chapter's ships as well, correct? I really like how you wrote this, your marines seem to remind me of the blood angels/black dragons combined. Nonetheless, it was a great, and inspirational read. Keep up the excellent work! ;)

It is postulated that Techmarines are no longer in service in the chapter, due of the lack of vehicles used by the Martyrs.
Well, I do believe that techmarines are also responsible for armor/weapon repair, and are probably used on the chapter's ships as well, correct?

Hence the next line:

For this to be the case, all marines would need to be trained in the rites needed to repair their own equipment and armour.

;)

Nor can I. I could nitpick at some repetitive wording - editing, really.

Very interesting. I must say I don't "feel" this chapter, and so probably won't take up your offer to use them, but it's a very solid article.

I must ask, though ... why are you "no longer a 40k table-top player"? I find the more I indulge in fluff, the more I want to play.

That's pretty much the problem I had with the Martyrs. They have a lot going for them... the slide into savagery, the destruction of their homeworld, the fight against an Imperium that's seeking to destroy them. Those are incredibly powerful themes if played correctly... but I never really 'felt' the Martyrs.

As to the tabletop; With university in only a few months and money dangerously tight, I can't afford to. I've never been terribly enthusiastic about the table-top game of 40k - it's the background that's kept me hooked, and I've always felt obligated, as if I needed to play in order to justify my interest in the fluff. Besides, my models were never good enough to satisfy me; I can't paint at all.

Archived