Crimson Fists vs. Tyranids- 1000-pt battle

This is a report on a 1000 pt Take and Hold mission fought between my Marines and another player's Tyranids. This was part of Canada's "Wrath of the Righteous" campaign (fought last month as an offshoot of the US "Dark Crusade" Black Templar campaign). The armies were as follows:

Crimson Fists:

Chaplain (Reclusiarch)- bolt pistol, crozius arcanum, terminator honours, rosarius

8 Space Marines- flamer, Veteran Sgt w. power fist

-Rhino- extra armour, smoke launchers

7 Space Marines- plasma gun, missile launcher

7 Space Marines- plasma gun, missile launcher

Dreadnought- assault cannon, extra armour, smoke launchers

8 Assault Marines- Veteran Sgt w. power fist

Whirlwind

Traits: Suffer Not the Alien To Live (Orks), Faithful Unto Death

Tyranids (from memory)

Broodlord- rending claws, scything talons, extended carapace

-10 Genestealers- extended carapace

12-16 Termagants

12-16 Hormagaunts- adrenal glands, toxin sacs

4 Ripper Swarms

3 Tyranid Warriors- venom cannon, deathspitter, barbed strangler, rending claws (I think)

Carnifex- scything talons, extended carapace, tusks, scythed tail

Note that I am writing this battle from memory

Excerpt from the log of Chaplain Erasmus, Crimson Fists Fifth Company

Not a single day goes by when I don't reflect on the many sacrifices our Chapter has made in the defence of Mankind. Ever since the fateful war on our homeworld, our warriors have time and again given their lives so that the Emperor's realm can be safe from the threats of the alien, the mutant and the heretic. I almost always think back to the day of death on Rynn's World, in which so many of my brethren died in the fiery destruction of our fortress, and, more recently, to the so-called "Black Crusade" of the Traitor Legions, in which our company suffered grievous losses trying to halt the Despoiler's invasion.

Recently, our company has managed to replace its most of its losses, as many Scouts have, in the light of valorous actions, been elevated to the status of full battle brothers. And it is at a good time, too -- Marshal Helbrecht of the Black Templars has declared a crusade to cleanse many of the alien-occupied worlds around the Cadian sector of the xeno filth that inhabits them. Brothers to our own chapter, the Black Templars have invited us to participate in this crusade, and Master Kantor has gladly accepted. Captain Torrez has tasked me to lead a task force to aid Marshal Titus, one of Helbrecht's subordinates, in liberating many of the worlds on the approaches to Medusa V, the target of Helbrecht's crusade.

We arrived in the wake of Titus' main fleet on the Strike Cruiser Wrath of Pollux, and were immediately briefed by the Marshal. My warriors and I burned to bring fire and death to the hated Orks inhabiting the asteroid belt Sicis Silexus IV, but our presence was instead needed on the sea world of Lochtelli I, which was under threat by the Great Devourer.

Upon arriving at Lochtelli I, we were immediately alerted to a dire situation: one of the planet's port cities, Ostelhagen, had fallen early on to Tyranids assaulting from the sea itself, who then swept on into the continent beyond. The area around Ostelhagen had become embattled as the PDF sought desperately to prevent further breakouts from the Tyranids within the walls.

Unfortunately, one of the many pumping stations around the city had ceased communications with Imperial forces. This station is a vital key in the pumping system that supplies fresh water to the rest of the continent. If it has indeed fallen into enemy hands, then Tyranid bio-organisms could potentially spread through the pipelines into the rest of the continent.

My task force wasted no time in making planetfall outside of the pumping station. Squads Hallarn and Kranden deployed closest to the station, and took up positions in ruined monitoring facilities just outside the building. From their vantage points, they quickly saw that the station had fallen to a Genestealer infestation. No sooner had they deployed when Tyranid Hormagaunts, Termagants, Warriors and Rippers assembled along the outer walls of Ostelhagen. The Tyranids were aware of our presence, and it was obvious that they wanted to stop us.

As the rest of my force raced towards the battlefield, Squads Hallarn and Kranden rained missile, bolter and plasma fire into the Genestealers in the station. The aliens were well-protected by cover, however, and few fell. The Tyranids advanced to get to grips with the two squads, the Tyranid Warriors firing ineffectual volleys from their bio-weapons at Squad Kranden as they advanced.

Before long, Assault Squad Cassel, the Rhino-mounted Squad Maloris (led by myself) and the task force's Whirlwind arrived on the battlefield, taking cautious positions to avoid enemy fire. Squad Hallarn continued to rain fire down on the Genestealears killing off a few that had failed to find adequate cover, while Squad Kranden directed their fire at the Tyranid Warriors, wounding one of the beasts with a krak missile. Amazingly enough, however, the xeno continued to advance forwards, ignorant of the grievous wound that, by rights, should have killed it.

From the distance, a monstrous Carnifex suddenly stomped over the outer wall of Ostelhagen and began a long advance towards Squad Hallarn, while the other Tyranids continued to advance (though the Genestealers, showing considerable intellect, remained in cover). The Tyranid Warriors continued to fire on Squad Kranden, but their blessed power armour saved them from the worst of the enemy bio-weapons.

In response, Squad Kranden's bolters gunned down the wounded Tyranid Warrior while plasma fire wounded a second. The Whirlwind and Squad Hallarn concentrated their fire on the Genestealers in the station and thinned out their numbers considerably. While the xenos were being bombarded, I ordered the driver of Squad Maloris' Rhino to move up to the outskirts of the station. Brother Orthus opened up the top hatch and doused the aliens with a blast from his flamer, causing several of them to catch fire and die twitching, spasmodic deaths.

Rather than flee from this fusilade, however, the Genestealers rushed out of the station -- I noticed then that they were led by a hulking Broodlord -- and tore into the Rhino. Such was the ferocity of their assault that they managed to tear through the frontal armour and shred the driver, before the Broodlord flipped the Rhino over with its immense strength. Brother Rafius had his neck broken by the colossal impact of the Rhino, and the rest of us barely managed to extricate ourselves from the vehicle's wreckage.

The rest of the Tyranids, meanwhile, continued their inexorable advance. The Tyranid Warriors focused their firepower on Squad Kranden and felled two of them with their living ammunition, though the rest held their ground. In response, the Whirlwind sent a volley flying into the Warriors and the Hormagaunts and Termagants milling around them, killing the wounded Warrior and a few of the smaller Termagants. Squad Kranden added to the carnage by grievously wounding the remaining Warrior with bolter fire. The revered Brother Halikon, meanwhile, arrived on the battlefield in his mighty Dreadnought armour, and levelled his assault cannon on the Genestealers tearing apart the Rhino, felling two of the abominations. Squad Hallarn added to the fire and killed the last Genestealer, before sending a krak missile slamming into the Broodlord itself. To our amazement, the beast staggered back, a bloody hole torn in its chest, but did not fall.

With an enraged roar, the Broodlord leapt over the Rhino and into Squad Maloris. I found myself face to face with the abomination -- before I could strike it down with my crozius, the thing struck with unbelievable speed, it's claws tearing through my midsection and chest. I immediately blacked out. From what I am told, however, Veteran Sergeant Maloris confronted the beast and pulverized the thing's head with a blow from his power fist.

While the remaining Tyranid Warrior fired ineffectually at Squad Kranden, the Hormagaunts, seeing Assault Squad Cassel edging towards the pumping station, charged towards them with unholy speed and attacked viciously, tearing down one battle brother with their scything claws. In return, Sergeant Cassel snapped the neck of one of the aliens with his power fist, and he and his battle brothers fought on against the Tyranids.

Seeing the Carnifex next to the pumping station, Squad Maloris, knowing that seizing the pumping station now would be incredibly rash, moved down to the left flank towards the Termagants between piles of rubble and let loose with their flamer, killing several of the beasts. Squad Kranden, meanwhile, blasted apart the last Tyranid Warrior with a well-aimed krak missile, while the Whirlwind loosed a volley at the Termagants and blew apart several more of the creatures. With the loss of the last synapse creatures on the field, the Termagants, without the presence of the Hive Mind driving them forwards, reverted to their basic instincts and sought cover, fearful of the carnage wrought by the Whirlwind. Squad Hallarn, meanwhile, opened fire on the approaching Carnifex -- a plasma bolt seared through the thing's shell and elicited a shriek from the beast, but their bolter and missile rounds exploded harmlessly against it's thick carapace.

Roaring might oaths, Brother Halikon charged in to the aid of Squad Cassel, crushing two Hormagaunts in it's mighty fist. Squad Cassel killed several more of the aliens for only one loss. The last two Hormagaunts took fright and fled, scampering off the battlefield in the face of such mighty opponents.

Squad Maloris, meanwhile, charged in against the Termagants. Many of the Tyranids were crushed by Maloris and his vengeful brothers, and the last two, bereft of the Hive Mind to guide them, fled back towards the city wall. Unable to catch the swift xenos, Squad Maloris consolidated towards the station.

With a tremendous roar, the Carnifex charged into Squad Hallarn. The building they took shelter in was completely shattered by the charging beast, and the battle brothers in the upper floor were sent plummeting downwards along with several tonnes of debris, though they survived their fall. Lashing out with its massive claws, fanged maw and scythed tail, the Carnifex tore apart three of Squad Hallarn as though they were made of wet rags. Our brethren, however, knew no fear, and defiantly held their ground against the beast.

While the Carnifex was busy engaging Squad Hallarn, Squad Maloris moved into the rubble of the pumping station, while, Squad Kranden moved out of the ruins of their position to get a better shot at the Carnifex battling Squad Hallarn. The Whirlwind, meanwhile, fired a volley at the Ripper Swarms on the other side of the pumping station, severely damaging one of the swarms but no completely destroying it.

With a mighty roar, the Carnifex picked up one of the battle-brothers it was facing and tore him limb from limb. Knowing their could not possibly defeat this monster, the remaining members of Squad Hallarn fell back, escaping the beast's clutches.

The Ripper Swarms, meanwhile, crawled and slithered into the pumping station and attacked Squad Maloris. Our battle brethren crushed countless diminutive aliens, but the little beasts, despite being unable to pierce the blessed power armour of their opponents, fought on mindlessly, heedless of their losses.

The Carnifex, ignored it's fleeing prey and turned to lumber towards the station. Knowing that the Carnifex could potentially smash Squad Maloris aside, Brother Halikon and Squad Cassel moved up to oppose it, Squad Cassel positioning itself just outside of the station. Our forces unleashed a torrent of fire into the beast, but bolter, plasma and missile rounds completely failed to penetrate it's hardened carapace. One of the shells from Brother Halikon's assault cannon managed to tear a hole through the creature's outer shell, however, eliciting a roar of pain from the beast. Though it bled from a score of wounds, however, the beast still stood, roaring its defiance.

The Whirlwind, meanwhile, loosed a volley at the two fleeing Termagants on the outskirts of Ostelhagen's walls, obliterating both of them in a mighty explosion. In the battle within the pumping station, Squad Maloris fought against the tide of Rippers. The battle-brothers smashed and crushed several Rippers, but, in return, one of our brethren was dragged down and bitten to death by the voracious creatures. Roaring oaths of rage, Brother-Sergeant Maloris smashed out again and again with his power fist, the crackling energy fields of his gauntlet killing the Rippers in droves. Before long, all of the Rippers were dead, victims of Brother Maloris' vengeance.

With that, the Tyranid swarms had been all but slaughtered, humbled before the might of the Crimson Fists. The Carnifex went into a killing rage and tried to take on our entire force by itself, but was eventually brought down by our combined firepower. Squad Maloris proceeded to burn the interior of the pumping station with their flamer, destroying the countless Tyranid spores that infested the building.

I, meanwhile, have been confined to the infirmary while my armour is repaired in the ship's forge. Apothecary Darius tells me that I should make a full recovery within a day or so, thank the Emperor. We have won a victory today, but we shall have many more battles to fight before this alien filth is cleansed from this world.

OOC: In the end, he only had his Carnifex left, above half wounds, contesting the objective against my Tactical and Assault squads. Thus, I won 2-1.

Very well written fluffy report. Reading it made me want to play a game against some bugs. So I take it your Chaplain got nailed pretty bad before even getting to do anything against that Broodlord? Bummer.

The only thing I'd have really loved to see would have been some pictures. :-) Thanks for sharing.

Archived