The Sons of Anubis

space wolf

ok, so let me first say, that im totally bad at places and dates, so if you see inconsistancies or anything you dont agree with, let me know....enjoy...i hope ^_^

THE SONS OF ANUBIS

Origin: The SOA are a fairly old chapter, founded in the 11th founding. The High Lords of Terra had decided that a chapter was needed to patrol and protect the Eastern fringe of the Ultima Segmentum, which would provide the Ultramarines with some much needed assistance. Ultimately the Crimson Fists

Welcome to the liber, Space Wolf! I'm given to understand you were once a mod here, so it's always nice to help out the... venerable dreadnoughts? ;)

Now, current mods IronLoki and Nephren-Ka are just two of the players to be part of the Aegytpus Astartes project, that has created at least a dozen Egyptian-themed chapters. It might be worth contacting them to see what they reckon to your chapter. But I'll give you what input I can, from the perspective of the 41st Millenium.

Is there any reason the Crimson Fists gene-seed was chosen? More to the point, why did you choose it? Wouldn't it have made sense for an Ultramarines successor to be created to work alongside the Ultramarines? Because then the Ultramarines would feel closer to their companion-chapter. In truth, Octavian Constantine even sounds like an Ultramarines name, whilst in all real fluff for the Crimson Fists, they have Spanish names (Cortez, etc.)

The people on Ishtar VII are an interesting and eclectic mix between barbarism and technology that strikes me as interesting and original. It's almost reminiscent of steam-punk.

There's no mention of your chapter's name before they were called the Sons of Anubis. At least, not one I can see at 03:08 in the morning ^_^. It'd be a nice touch to have that, I think.

Aside from that, I quite like the chapter, there's a lot of thought put into them. The Egyptian theme isn't overpoweringly strong... I think it's good.

I look forward to seeing more from you... maybe a picture of their colour scheme?

Humm... strong hints of the Movie 'Dune' here, but unlike previous attempts, well integrated into the Imperial background. I like it. Well done Space Wolf, and keep it up. I hope to see pictures of your Marines as soon as you are able to post them.

An interesting choice of Traits and Disadvantage, Trust Your Battle Brothers, and the See, but Don't be Seen Traits, with Eye To Eye as disadvantage. Even with ETE, there would be a FEW bikes and speeders in the chapter's forces. Very few in comparison to most chapters, but still a few. I assume your Fast Attack choices will be filled with Assault Marines, which are always good choices... especially in urban settings, jungles, and other variable-terrain areas.

With the loss of the First Company, and all it's Terminators, the Chapter would have to work hard to build, or gain access to more from various Forge Worlds. A more thoughtful look at the Traits you've taken suggests a possible All-Marine army list, with Tactical, Scout, Assault, Veteran, and Devestator marines comprising the whole of the army listing. Even given the cost for TYBB, one could still field aproximately 100 marines in a list ( say, 6 scout squads, 3 devestator squads, 3 assault squads, HQ and HQ squads, and perhaps a squad or two of Veterans ).

Again, I say, a most interesting IA and chapter background.

Rymeer

I too sense a Dune connection. :blush: And I agree you handled it well. Overall an excellent piece.

I did have a question though. You said that the natives had a legend of a messenger from god who would bring about a "day of deliverance". What exactly are they being delivered from? Maybe it would be more like the messenger would come and bring about a new era or something to that effect.

Any chance of a paint scheme or chapter badge? You could use the grey hunter wolf head badge for them, if you are not inclined to free hand.

thanks for all the comments guys...

Is there any reason the Crimson Fists gene-seed was chosen? More to the point, why did you choose it? Wouldn't it have made sense for an Ultramarines successor to be created to work alongside the Ultramarines? Because then the Ultramarines would feel closer to their companion-chapter. In truth, Octavian Constantine even sounds like an Ultramarines name, whilst in all real fluff for the Crimson Fists, they have Spanish names (Cortez, etc.)
to be honest no, there wasnt. i just picked crimson fists...i didnt know that i would have them "team up" with the U marines, on retrospect, changing the geneseed is a good idea.

I too sense a Dune connection. And I agree you handled it well. Overall an excellent piece.

I did have a question though. You said that the natives had a legend of a messenger from god who would bring about a "day of deliverance". What exactly are they being delivered from? Maybe it would be more like the messenger would come and bring about a new era or something to that effect.

well the day of deliverance, is a "folklore-ic" way of saying...some dudes will be chosen to be space marines. as for the dune references, you know i love the books, but when i started that was not at all what i intended it to be...it just kind of came out that way by accident.

as for models, well i have some done, but i have to get around to snapping some shots of them...but to give you guys some inclination of what they look like ill tell you their paint scheme.

most of the armor is painted in burnished gold.

the inner part of the shoulder pad, the center part of the backpack, knee pads and chest eagle are all hawk turquois

the shoulderpad edges, helmet, and backpack "exhaust ball thingies?" are all black.

now the ive developed a technique using the "green stuff" to make the beakie helmets very similar to the anubis helmets from stargate. so squad sarges get the special jackal helmets :blush:

Any chance of a paint scheme or chapter badge?

ask and ye shall receive. btw if these links dont work its cuz im bad at the interweb. please keep in mind that the pic color is a little distorted, never could get that lighting thing right.

http://www.geocities.com/im_a_weirdo2002/MVC-137S.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/im_a_weirdo2002/MVC-134S.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/im_a_weirdo2002/MVC-136S.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/im_a_weirdo2002/MVC-135S.JPG

Nicely done models. Tabletop quality is always a good thing. Keeps you from having to worry about chipping and other damage by the Dice 'o Doom rolled on the tabletop, and having some piece of lovely painting reduced to a fancy piece of damaged artwork.

Color scheme seems good to me, and the jackal heads look very nice. You might want to check my Crusading Lions yahoo site and look at the fronts of my vehicles. I used the Ogre Hunter's Sabrefang head belly plate bitz as vehicle crests for my chapter's vehicles. You might want to concider doing up a jackal head in greenstuff and then casting it to make such crests for your own vehicles.

Just a thought,

Rymeer

Archived