The No-Name Chapter Space Marine Test Coloration...

Jesterspeed

I love the color scheme. I really need to break away from just using GW paints. I was wondering if you repainted the flames on the skull to make them more wavy/longer than I'd suggest "Sons of Hecate." She is after all the Greek goddess of ghosts and such.

Beats "Ghost Riders" :P ...isn't Nicholas Cage playing him in a movie this summer. I seem to recall a trailer online

I am with hasoroth.

I am impressed with the simplicity of it. Very clean.

I am doing something very similar to my marines, but am only in test scheme phase.

What colors were used for the majority of the model?

(please please be vallejo...)

How about stuff like:

The Conflagration Purge

Blaze Bedlam

Ashes of Anguish

The Invasion of Inferno (The Inferno Invasion)

The Purging Pyre

or...The Stone Dogs (blatant Robert Jordan reference), but difficult to explain away the skull :P

something a bit...unique :P

love the scheme ;)

I think the people if this board have come up with every serious name imaginable for that kind of colour/badge. So my suggestions, though longwinded, are-

'Brother Baldy Learns The Hard Way That Inflammable Toupees Do Catch Fire.'

or

'After Sticking A Blowtorch To His Hairpiece, Brother Nohair Loses His

Quite a few replies to "Name that Space Marine Chapter"... Going over some of the names in my head - and yes, I've written them down - some don't quite fit, and some inspire new badges/icons. :mellow:

But for all that asked and missed it, the main color of the armor is Reaper Master Series Paint "Bone Shadow". I don't know of any equivalent colors - and I just looked thru all my paints - from Vallejo, Citadel or Tamiya and I didn't see a good true match. VMC Brown Violet is close, but not brown enough, and the VGC Tan is brown, but missing a slight dark grey/violet tint. Note: it's SLIGHT. You could get away with either, but they're not a match to mine.

In answer to the highlighting of the base coat, I just applied a bit of Reaper MSP "Aged Bone" to the edges. As I said, I was trying to keep it all smooth and the overall paintjob very simple. I thinned out some black paint and using a taklon liner brush (sable is too soft in my book for lining) I did the simple lining. The most layering I did was on the bone/ivory colored areas and on the metallics...

With the overall painting, the PRIMING of the miniature can impact the smoothness of your painting just as much as thinning out your paints properly. When I prime resin kits, I use DupliColor Sandable Primer (Hot Rod Grey) that I picked up from NAPA. VERY fine particulae in the spray, and goes on smoothly and evenly. So, I tested it out on the Space Marine, and wasn't disappointed in the least. That's my base primer coat. Then I laid down a coat of a medium grey acrylic primer with my Iwata and I was set to start painting. A smooth base coat will lend itself to a smoother final paint job.

-----

Ok, with all the great (and not so great - KURGAN) suggestions for names, I've narrowed my choices down to three:

Harbingers of Death

Raging Skulls

Lords of Wrath

So, I'll finally decide on one of those three and get busy with about 2000 pts of Space Marines to start with. Some will be painted like the above, and the character pieces will get a higher quality treatment.

Oh, and as I REALLY like the Mud Dogs as a name, I think I may have to come up with something just for that name all by itself! As much as it does sound IG, I think I can figure out something for a SM prototype paint scheme. Don't kill me, but it may end up being a camo scheme... :wink:

Thanks to everyone that replied, looked, laughed, etc. It's nice to have B&C back!

Harbingers of Death, between the three, is the best in my opinion.

Raging Skulls sounds like a heavy metal band.

Lords of Wrath sounds a little...regal, although that's not the exact word I'm thinking of.

I do like the word Wrath, though.

Archived