1500pt DIY Marine Force

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
Really nice convertions, each and every single one of them, all very impressive. Theres too many fine models to be able to choose one that i like best, they are all just fantastic. Its a really interesting and characterful army, one thats a joy to look at. Feel rather inspired to crack out the green stuff and convert up a few models.

Rich,

Absolutely amazing work! Truly awe inspiring. Look forward to report on how you did at tournament. The poses of the assault squad, scouts, terminators and marines just astound me. Words do not do what you have accomplished justice. :rolleyes:

i have been hanging like a....well, like something that hangs, for this thread to be res'ed. welcome back rich. the models look great, but i am especially excited to see the techmarine when he is finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind comments and support! I'm glad that it has caused some of you to start converting as well and I am always interested to see how people reinterpret things that I have done, so feel free to use any of my ideas for inspiration.

The chaplain's armour shape was influenced alot by the shape and design of a knights armour to make it look older and like a suit from the heresy, rather than just putting hanging straps on the shoulders :)

I had a great time at the tournie, it's always nice to play on the tables at Warhammer World as well. Although my army was far too WIP in the end to even stand a chance of being in the running for best army, I did manage to come away with the wooden spoon, yay!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/WoodenHammer.jpg

And here is a picture someone who was there took of my army on the battlefield:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/IMG_0052.jpg

Far away it looks like it's nearly done. I'm close but there are still alot of touch ups that need doing!

Here is the command squad as it now stands. After the tournie I had a chance to tear off the assault cannon of the new, final member and convert it into a left handed version to give the squad more symmetry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/TeminatorCarnageWIP.jpg

And a close up of the chaplain alone, although his paint job is exceptionally WIP at this stage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/ChaplainWIP.jpg

I bought and made a dread the evening before but i couldn't help converting him a bit. He is a fire support dread so I didn't want to go over the tip, just model him in a ponderous advance as befits the idea of a dread I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/DreadWIP.jpg

The servitors have both had more work put into to them. Basically a few details on the tank hulls need doing as well as touching up and smoothing out the skin and painting the cybernetic parts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/ServitorsCarnageWIP.jpg

A picture of the back of Cain, showing the meltas fuel line running down his spine beneath the skin. I like that sort of thing for servitors ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/CainBackCarnageWIP.jpg

And the assault squad. Many of these guys don't even have any highlights on them and one messily painted face!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/CarnageWIP.jpg

And lastly here are some loot counters that I quickly made for the tournie, still un-painted and not properly based.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/LootCounters.jpg

I thought IG use either parachutes or gravchutes to air drop their gear but that seems awfully slow and crude for the fast moving marine strike forces and that lead me onto thinking ... ammunition and weapon containers shot from orbiting strike cruisers an so on. And that is what these are, shown imbedded right into the street. I am yet to actually make an objective marker but that will be a marine sitting on the edge of an ordnance crater, both legs blasted off, but still holding the company banner aloft firing around him with his bolt pistol. of course the marines wouldn't be that bothered about the wounded marine, retrieving his gene-seed is enough, but the banner, now that is important!

Although the painting is very rough, everything is now done so I feel like I'm on the home straight now!

Thanks for the support and C&C is always welcome.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

That army shot is so dynamic. Much kudos to the photographer.

The force is really starting to fit together nicely, and I love the colour scheme. Those objective markers are brilliant. Consider the idea officially stolen. ;)

My only little nit-pick with the army is that the assault squad does not look dynamic enough for my tastes, compared to your tactical squads I mean. The tac squad poses look fantastic, there is a real sense of grace, power, and most importantly, movement to them. The assault squad however (well, about half of it at least) look like statues. Very well painted statues, mind you, but statues none the less. But if you are happy with them (and you should be) then that is all that matters. :D

I would love to see more. A Master or Librarian for example, and maybe a bike squad.

some1 been playing halo 2? those weapon drop pods sound simelaer to those.

your moddles are realy amsing and verry nicely done.

one or two inspierig ideas i may have to run off with.

excelent work

Dave

P.s do you have a tutorial fot the MK 4 helmates that you have made??

Hello again everyone,

Thanks for your comments, I've been busy with work, alot of work lately and hadn't caught up with this thread but I have some photos to proffer to the B&C that I forgot to post earlier.

Firstly here is the, nearing completion, dread.The base still needs doing and the green could probably do with one more final highlight too, now that I look at it. The front of his sarcophagus needs more ornamentation like some chapter icons and some script text along with a handful of purity seals about the place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/DreadGalleryBaseWIP.jpg

And the pace of the techmarine upped tempo a bit and he's looking more finished all the time. Although, he actually still needs alot of work, his base is far too plain as well as his backpack isn't properly painted yet and he also has a holstered bolter for the other side of the front wheel cowling that is still just undercaoted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/TechmarineGalleryWIP.jpg

I've been working on putting together an objective marker. It is meant to represent a grievously wounded marine Ancient, still clutching his standard, protecting it long enough for his brothers to rescue him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/ObjectiveMarkerWIP3Apr.jpg

It's nearly a finished conversion now but his knee need some work to get it to the look I want and the green stuff tears on the banner need some more work to make their shape better, but this stuff hadn't cured in time before I left. Oh well. It wasn't until after that someone pointed out it had non of the drama a scene like this should have, marine stumbling to the ground on shattered legs, still clutching the banner hoping to stay alive long enough for any rescuers. So I think I'll rebuild this one totally at some point.

As a little side project I've started wanting to make a Necromunda gang and have made a prototype of one for later expansion. And I just remembered before posted this that I better leave an image of this one out. Well I'll just leave this in as a hint ;)

@ Turelhim Vampire: Thanks, the photographer of the army shot was the same person that raised complaints about the standard bearer objective marker as well as, in the past, the same comments you had about the assault marines. They do look far too static for me too! They were a rush job as 4 were suitably converted from a squad of 10 and the tournie was around the corner. All the remaining 6 will get remodelled, probably just new legs and some fun bases to take advantage of whatever pose they have. Now the tournie is out the way I don't have to rush!

Have no fear, although once these are done I will move on to other things the marines will still sporadically get additions. Funny how you mentioned a Librarian as that was one of my planned expansions. I already have this mini, Chief Librarian Ezekiel, waiting to be cut up for a while now. I intend to hack his legs off and replace them with running legs and suitably billowing robes. Should look really cool with his sword held high charging forwards. This would also be a perfect opportunity to convert a command squad suitably with all the trinkets, personal heraldry and older armour marks that these squads should have in abundance!

The marine bikes are a bit too chunky for my liking (I cut quite alot off the back of the techmarine's for example) and will probably steer clear of them!

@ Savage Heathen: I have played a bit of Halo 2 (got bored as I can't play shooters on a console!) and I didn't remember what the drop pods were like. I'm sure they're pretty similar though! It just seemed so suitable for marines, probably based more on Dawn of War than anything.

I did make a tutorial for the mk4 here when I posted the first marine in this army here. I'll see if I can't dig it out from B&C archives. The chest plates as well as the helmets are green stuff, as I first started making them long before FW had mk4 parts, I think it makes it more personal anyway ;)

I don't mind anyone using any of my ideas, I'm just glad my models have provided some inspiration. Thanks for all the kind comments and support, on the final straight now.

Rich

I think the objective marker is really good it doesn't really need much doing to it with regards to the drama. Perhaps he could be laying back a bit and perhaps the flag could be brought down a bit so it isn't so upright.

your converting and modelling skills are amazing, This is very much like something i hope to do, but you have set the bar pretty high. <_< I cant say i'm too keen on the metallic gold, I like the rest of the scheme but i think my past love/hate relationship with metallics has ended on bad terms, and put me off. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your kind words and support!

I think the objective marker is alright too Captain Shrike as it works enough as an objective marker. It's just that he looks a bit too casual as if he was sitting there and his leg happened to fall off ! If he was collapsing under the broken leg, using the banner to support himself and still clutching his bolt pistol to defend it to the last... it would look a whole lot better - maybe even a bit like that artwork of a last stand by a Black Templar around his banner.

Thanks RoboFish, good luck if/when you get started with some marines of your own! I too had the same dislike for metalics, I was ok painting them in small areas such as weapons, but on any larger areas they just came out lumpy. That's why I chose my DIY chapter to have gold armour - as just a way to force myself to pant better, smoother metallics. And it worked too, nothing like forcing yourself into something to try and improve, you never know, eh? :P

Just a small update today as I'm swamped with work in the run up the my degree show and the end of uni for me as well as making a little start on my next army (Night Gobbos) by converting a couple of test minis (pics in my photobucket, but of course not here).

But here is what I have started as another addition to my marines. A librarian!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/LibrarianWIP30-4.jpg

I've had Ezekial kicking around for years in my bits box - still in his blister too - and it's such a great mini I had to put it to some use. This mini is exceptionally WIP at the moment, he still needs billowing robes sculpted below his waist and belts to hold his libby key ring, books and a pistol holster along with much gap filling too. The head will have long, mangy hair as all my marines have long hair but I always thought psychic powers would probably have a detrimental affect on hair growth. As well as other details and ornamentation to his armou rlike some better, individual designs of kneepad and some sculptural work on one greave as is normal.

I had to remove Ezekial's head as it was robed and I didn't want him to look too much like a Dark Angel as well as he really needed a psychic hood, what with being a Librarian and everything!

Not much to show I know, but I hope you like it none-the-less. Comments and criticism always welcome!

Rich

I really like the pose on that librarian. Could you do a tutorial or something on repositioning legs. I really want to convert some of my marines so they don't look too ordinary but my main problem is when it comes to the legs, which is the bit I always want to change.

++EDIT++ Ive just had a thought, not that the models not good, its brilliant, but I was thinking that having his left arm outstretched as if he is using a psychic power would suit that pose, and keep the right arm holding the sword obviously.

hi all

this is my first post on the forum and I have followed this project from day 1.

I wanted to post something earlier yet for some reason i could'nt be registered till now and I really like your work.

i want to ask you how you laminated that shield and if you need a special product to do so.

keep the good work up

Bob123

wow, just wow.

im like you, i like having everything converted to some degree but youve really raised the bar, well done.

i like the way you undercoat the shoulderpads, heads etc. what do you use to attach them to the bits of sprues?

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to alot of your questions, I have been swamped with work in the run up to my degree show in a couple of weeks. So needless to say I haven't had time for any modelling or anything either!

However, here we go then Captain Shrike. It isn't too hard once you get the hang of the processes involved in reposing legs. It becomes pretty simple work I do by rote through a squad.

Repositioning Power Armoured Legs.

Making the Desired Pose.

1- To start a limb should be cut as accurately as possible at each joint that needs repositioning. Some joints could be in a suitable position already (knees commonly for instance) and sometimes every joint in both legs might need cutting.

2- The method I use to hold each part together in the new pose is pinning. It is quite labour intensive using this many pins but provides a strong base needed to properly fill the gaps with green stuff as well as making the finished mini very durable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Reposition%20Tutorial/Stage1.jpg

I drill a 1mm hole into each part to be pinned together (make sure both holes are lined up accurately) and with a dot of super glue on the pin glue it into a piece of the limb (I use metal paper clips, they straighten out easilly and are a perfect fit for a 1mm hole, cheap too!)

3- Sometimes the pin will need some slight bending to get it to the right angle for the other part to be fixed on. I dry run this first just to make sure things fit well and look right. Then just another dot of super glue onto the pin and fit the other part in place. I always put glue on the pin rather than the flat surface of the plastic as that way the pin takes the strain and commonly in my conversions there isn't much of the plastic touching.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Reposition%20Tutorial/Stage2.jpg

Following these pictures that should have one knee joint repositioned to a better angle.

This process should then be repeated for each joint that needs repositioning until you get an assembly of parts into a new pose.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Reposition%20Tutorial/Stage3.jpg

4- Next comes gap filling (except these photos are of a different minis arms being filled rather than any nice continuation - sorry, I was working on both of these at the same time as each was in a different stage).

Provided you have been neat cutting the plastic and the pose isn't too great a departure from the original there shouldn't be any armour parts to resculpt. It is best to start small anyway, until you feel more confident in your green stuff to make smooth surfaces of the armour plates.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Reposition%20Tutorial/Stage4.jpg

The gap (commonly at the back of knees and between torso and shoulder needs the ribbing of Power Armoured joints to be replaced. This photo shows the areas in the shoulders that I filled with green stuff and smoothed out to fill the area. Leave this now for 10-15 minutes to cure slightly.

5- After the green stuff has cured slightly it will be less sticky and also be able to take sharper shapes, perfect for sculpting these ribs. With a knife/scalpel blade (of course wetted slightly to not stick) run it down both sides of the green stuff which is to be the ribbed area then continue drawing lines down through the green stuff to complete the ribbed look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Reposition%20Tutorial/Stage5.jpg

With a little practice you will be making straighter lines with a more even gap between both and, once painted, it should be indistinguishable from the GW originals.

I hope this tutorial is complete enough, if there is any doubt with any stage just say and I will edit this post to expand on it. This is exactly how I reposed the legs of the above Librarian, just the pictures are taken from before when different marines were on the cutting mat.

On your other point much as converting a mini of a Librarian using his psychic would be fun I thought poses like that are becoming awfully common now a days. Ezekial has such a great pose, so full of power, that I thought I would make a Librarian from him instead. If I do another in the future he might be using a power, or just spreading his fingers on his temple, concentrating or something. Ezekial not only needed new legs to draw his height up from the slightly smaller 2nd edition scale but also to give him a more interesting pose, rather than just standing there. Even with the great pose of his body it wasn't common to make multi part moulds for characters so much back then, so poses were more static (not good enough I say!).

Welcome to the forum Bob! Laminating the shield was easy, it is just woodworking principles. You need a sturdy enough mould first to shape the plasticard over (I just used the smaller size of Spray Mount can I think, it doesn't matter). Tape one layer of plasticard to it, then coat it in polystyrene cement (what you probably see as normal plastic glue) almost all plasticard is styrene sheet and so this works a treat as it will strongly bond the two sheets together, you just need plenty of time to let them dry after taping the second sheet of plasticard over the first to cure before cutting it out. If i remember correctly the Chaplain's shield was made from three layers of 0.25mm plasticard.

Lord Sion, I just glue the parts to bits of plastic sprue with poly cement. That way I get a strong bond that I can easily break off. If the piece is small or if I feel like it I will also use paper clips super-glued into holes drilled to fit.

Thanks for your kind comments and more will be forthcoming in a month or so after all this work is out the way for a short while, then I start on the job hunting!.

Thanks

Rich

Hey thanks for the tutorial but do you drill all the way through and have one long pin going through the entire leg or do you have seperate holes and pins for each joint?

thanks Kovah

Wow thanks for the tutorial Rich. I can't wait to try it out. Only thing is, can you show where exactly to cut for each joint. I'm not quite sure and I don't want to waste loads of pares of legs.

++By the way, post your tutorial in the tutorials section too. :huh:

Archived