How tall are "true scale" marines?

I know the standard Marine is about 28mm or so, so how tall should the true scale ones be? Is there a consensus? I am just curious before I hack a whole marine army.

And, should termies be taller still? If so, how much more?

It's generally (generally) considered that Inquisitor-scale Space Marines are correct in proportion to Inquisitor-scaled humans. Jes Goodwin sculpted Artemis at 67mm high (whilst the humans are ~54mm). It does depend on your perception of Marines. Some suggest marines are seven feet tall - others reckon they're eight or nine.

Using that ratio, I figure it goes like this then:

54/67=28/x (read 54 over 67 equals 28 over x), where x equals the true scale marine.

Now, cross multiply, giving us:

54x=1867

Now divide both sides by 54 to give us x:

True scale marines should be 34.74mm tall.

Sounds about right to me.

And yes, I am a teacher and I have taught basic algebra! <_<

I just broke out the steel rule and measured some minis.

The standard Iglet is 30mm.

The normal pose marine is 32mm, which totally skews my ratio in the previous post.

=I= Eisenhorn stands about 60mm...

I'm just going to fudge it and call a "true scale" marine 40mm, a true scale termie 45mm.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Odd... my impression was that 40k was 28mm-scaled.

And yes, I am a teacher and I have taught basic algebra! :P

That's alright, I'm in the process of becoming a teacher too - though an English teacher. I couldn't handle algebra - basic or not. <_<

I too thought 40K was 28mm based, but I guess there has been some 'creep' over the years. I did some comparisons, and 40mm measures about right when compared to a plastic marine. I'm figuring a nice plug in the torso (GW has this nasty habit in my opinion of connecting the figures ribcage to their pelvis) and maybe some in the legs.

This is going to be fun...

I remember Elusive's thread. His scaling is about where my measurements line up to. I'm going to give it a go in the very near future, as soon as FW delevieres my Red Scorpion parts. That vetsarg's torso will make such a nice Ultramarine Commander's torso!

I think the scale like this:

IG guardsman would be like 180-185cm tall approximately, right?

182,5cm(this should be changed to millimeters) divided by the height of the IG miniature

answer of the previous times 2,5 meters(change to millimeters) and there you should have an final answer (I made this calculation long ago (or atleast I think I did ^_^ )...so I'm not sure if that provides the "right" answer)

Using that ratio, I figure it goes like this then:

54/67=28/x (read 54 over 67 equals 28 over x), where x equals the true scale marine.

Now, cross multiply, giving us:

54x=1867

Now divide both sides by 54 to give us x:

True scale marines should be 34.74mm tall.

carry the one...... oh no, i've gone cross-eyed ^_^

don't fuss to much about the measurements, fudge it and go with what looks good to you. my B&C mini is taller than my termies (also true scaled) but it looks okay due to his pose

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/Dominar_Mortis/other%20wh40k%20pics/8215fa9b.jpg

DM ;)

If you take a Chaos Warrior and add a 1mm spacer on the "arse", where the cape part will rest, you get a mini that measures almost exactly 34mm boot sole to eyeball. Works well for truescale Space Wolves, pre-heresy Luna Wolves or any other chapter which has fur as part of it' regular battledress ^_^

My newest Mk III marines stand about 40mm tall from toe to eye. Their true height is questionable since none so far stand straight. :jaw:

It's not a question of lenght, but of proportions and scale. Most of GW's miniatures are so out of proportion that calculating the 'should-be' height of a 'true' marine on their basis is, well, impossible.

Im in the process of making a new army (my second but my only as I sold the other) ...

and I been thinking on making them all 'true scale' ...

any tips for making a whole army true scale ... and any good tutorials for terminator true scale that anyone know about?

to chop up each marine (like 60-80 of them) in 3 places to add plasticard will be VERY hard and time consuming =)

++edit++

and another question ... in a full army you are boudn to have some metal minis ... how do you true scale these?!

and another question ... in a full army you are boudn to have some metal minis ... how do you true scale these?!

very carfully :)

there are a few methods,

1 - drag queen boots - this is the act of adding layers under the sole of the minis boots

2 - cutting up x2 models and combining to make x1: cut the first ABOVE the belt and cut the second BELOW the belt the stick the x2 torsos together and blend the join with GS

3 - depending on the model, treat it as plastic (see elusive71's tutorial)

4 - cut in half and add layers to the gut

5 - see REPENT

DM :P

• 2 weeks later...
I have been cutting and working on a marine all afternoon. I think I'm about to the right height. I still have to add the belt and some other bitz, but the height to the eyes is 33mm. I'll pst some pics afterwhile.

I just make sure mine are a head taller than normal marines. Part of this is a better pose, but there is atleast 4mm lenght added too, more in some cases.

I also bulk them up by adding 2mm thickness between the chest pieces. This really makes all the difference IMO.

• 2 years later...

According to Jes Goodwin in the GW podcast, SM are 7ft to 7.5ft tall.

The tutorials by Elusive71 (listed above) and by Doghouse (Here, though he has not finished it yet) are both excellent.

Doghouse never specifically gives a mm measurement that I saw, but does say that they are about 7.5ft in scale.

The ones by Elusive71 seem like they will end up about the same height but much slimmer.

~Eric

Archived