A quick how to...

I know, sounds like a stupid questions, but having recently read the next tyranid codex something came up.

I always thought I knew how to read the time, I mean, the game is called after all 40k....

but in the tyrannid codex it states, and sorry for straying to a different codex here but, that Hive Fleet Behemoth was 745.M41 and the Hive Fleet Kraken was 993.M41.

Now I thought that gap was 250 years, but the text mentions the gap in fact been 2,500 years.

So, am I infact wrong, and if so, just made a complete fool of myself, or is it 250 year gap. thanks.

(Sorry about noting from a different codex but the material notated was directly involved in my question)

250 years it is.

Rogue Trader has a good quote / post somewhere about the imperial calendar, but unless he doesn't post it, we are currently in the third millennium, so 2006 is M3, and the three digits before the M are the hundreds, tens and units, so this year is 006M03.

Unless I miss my guess, 993.M41 would be 40993 AD.

There is a good section on this, including more on the other numbers you can add to the figure in the third edition big black book. :D

Did somebody call? :D

Welcome to Imperial Dating 101, I'm Mr Trader, your teacher for today. Pay attention, there may be a quiz later.

A typical dating code is written 0555969.M02 or 0555969/M02. The M02 means it's a second millennium date. The other numbers give the year and fraction of the year.

0 (check number) 555 (year fraction number) 969 (year number) M02 (millennium)

The check number is present due to the temporal distortions which affect ships in warp-space as well as worlds which are remote, or isolated, from Earth. In this case, a '0' is Earth standard date, typically referring to an event that occured with the Terran Solar system.

The year digits specify which year within the millennium running from 001-000 (one thousand). For example 0280964/M39 is the year 964 of the thirty ninth millennium. In our terms, the year 38,964.

The year fraction is for 'administrative purposes' (ie. to make it sound cooler and so that non-geeks can't work out what is means ). The year is divided into 1000 equal segments; 001-000.

To work out the equivalent Gregorian day, simply divide the fraction number by 1000 and multiply by 365. ie:

1000 = 0.555 x 365 = 202.575 (or the 202nd day of the year, and just after midday)

The 202nd day of the year in July 21st. Put that together with 1969, and as every schoolboy knows, you get Neil Armstrong walking on the moon (or in a TV studio somewhere in america, depending on whether you believe the conspiracy theorists or not )

Class dismissed.

Archived