1:1 Scale Storm Bolter [WIP]

And hello again! I felt that this warranted a separate topic from my previous bolt pistol thread, so here we are: an 80% complete 1:1 Scale Storm Bolter.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/Corellia1/DSCF0573.jpg

A few more:

Side

Rear

Cartridge close-up

I have yet to complete the gun sight, which will add a good amount of bulk to the top of the weapon. Right now the weapon itself, minus the cartridge, looks a little bit too... squat. I'll probably be adding a panel to the top to give it a bit more "oomph". And of course, there're lots of thumb switches, dials, and other gadgets for detailing.

Oh, and no, I'm not going to paint it this time. :blush:

You are a Golden Demon quality full scale modeler! (Hmm, gotta get my son signed up in woodshop! :blush: )

I got a 1:1 scale chainsword. No pics though sorry :(

Its just a bunch of sheet metal plucked, welded and grinded down to shape. Its heavy as :angry: . Bud made it two-handed, and yes it is sharp and dangerous. Dont make one!

if i can ask who's footing the bill for these projects? It looks good so far nice to see the end product.

Probaly taxpayers.

Thats a realy cool storm bolter, something to be proud of for sure, my only qualm is the bolter rounds in the magazine look too narrow. I'd get my hands on one of those GW master sets and look at the shell in it, most GW stores have one on display, it would give you an idea of what a life sized bolter tound would look like.

-The Gov

The front half looks good, the back half, looks too small. 1:1 scale would require the the grip and trigger portion to be much larger. Unless of course, you are making it to scale as if you were an 8 foot (ish) tall marine, in which case the front section would need to be just the slightest bit smaller.

But without worrying about scale, it looks good.

That looks great! As far as price, when I was in woodshop the student paid the bill of material. That way people wouldn't waste material. Maybe things have changed.

Keep up the good work, and why do I sense a large oak desk with an imperial aquila carved in the center on the agenda???

Adam

Looks great but the ammo hopper should have a side on it with an open top so you can still see the rounds, as it is now won't the rounds just fall out the side of the magazine? :ph34r:

Thank you for the interest!

As to who paid the bill for this project:

Technically, I guess I'd have to say the students footed the bill. However, the wood I used for this was in a scrap heap in the the woodshop. I thought it'd be a shame to see such nice oak shredded, so I put it to use as best I could. Of course I asked my teacher first if he wanted some compensation - he just laughed and said "Nice train." (*my cover story is that this thing is a train. In the beginning half the people who saw it fell for the ploy - without the detailing components, it looks remarkably like a locomotive. Some of the district officials are pretty stuck up about this kind of thing, as you could well imagine.)

As to the weight:

Yes, it's pretty heavy. Oak is pretty dense stuff, and the gun chassis (for lack of a better term) is made of four 3/4 inch pieces glued together. All in all it's about a kilo or so in weight, just light enough to be held in one hand.. for a short time, at least. Yes, I'm out of shape.

Mutt-man:

Yep, chainsword happens to be my next project. I'll be taking you up on that advice and making it out of something other than metal. Splinters are bad enough. >.<

As to the cartridge/bullet comments:

I used a 3/4 inch dowel to make the bullets, which as far as I know is equivalent to .75 calibre. I think the confusion is probably due to the fact that I was too lazy to file down the tips. That would've made them look more... bullet-like. As for the hopper comment by Tubby about the bullets falling out... hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I may glue in a panel for that purpose. Thanks for pointing that out!

Scaling:

Yea, I'm a bit concerned about the scaling myself. It's incredibly difficult to get the proportions right, especially if you're scaling it to fit a Marine. I just based the proportions around the measurements of my hand, so like the Bolt Pistol I made earlier, it's pretty much the size of a guard issue storm bolter. At least for the Guard who're bad-ass enough to use one! ^.^

Right now I'm in school, using a couple of hacks to get past the website blocks, and the finished Storm Bolter is sitting comfortably at home. I'll be posting a few picture of it later on. See you in a few hours!

Looks very cool. Now just get some technical wizardry into it and turn it into a giant Spud gun to torment the local yobs :D

Very funky indeed :D

Finished pics, as promised. Major changes include a gunsight, adjustment knobs on the rear, and a bayonet fixture (actually I have no idea what it is, but it's on the model, so I had to include it) just below the gun barrels. Lots of sanding and filling in the cracks to go, but this thing's pretty much done.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/Corellia1/DSCF0578.jpg

Rear

Archived