Perturabo

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing some artwork based on Perturabo. From basic concepts to a finished piece. Now obviously I need to research my subject, and have therefore read all the references in IA and Codex:CSM, as well as research on Wikipedia. Now i need to pick your esteemed brainsto glean anything i may have missed, also any opinion/ thoughts about his appearence(pre demonhood)and attitude would be greatly appreciated, any form of speculation will be absorbed and digested(just like The Great Devourer).

so many many thanks in advance,

calamity

Perturabo would look hard, very hard. Of all the primarchs Perturabo was the least pampered, as he spent most of his time down in the trenches directing his legion in seige warfare. I beleive he is described as having black skin but that's open to interpretation. I would therefore have him as quite tall but in a semi slumped posture. The sheer physical strain on him would be incredable and so he would unlikely have that same straight backed "proud" look the other primarchs would. Inquisitor Cortez would give a good impression for his look- very solid, very stoic.

No doubt Perturabo's armour would be ornate, but pragmatic in the extreme, all unnessercary burden would just slow him down and cause him greif. To that effect i'd keep any technical watnotz that you might be inclined to give him, like servo arms and the like to a minimum but a chunky suit of armour like the new technarines would help to display the "Iron" aspect of his Legions name. Depending on when you want to depict him he may or may not have seigebreaker- the hammer that Horus gave him, he would probably also have a shaven head rather than flowing angellic locks like Sanguinius, Russ or El' Johnson further emphesising the pragmatism, head stubble might help to darken the look though and show he doesnt have the time to maintain the "perfect smoothness".

Hope that helps

Dr Death

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/calamitykane/iron%20warriors/perturabo.jpg

This is the first of my prelilinary sketches, was trying to capture a look, think the eyes might need reducing, but it kick starts things off.

Still debating over black or olive/mediterranean skin.

Dr. Death cheers for your input, some of thoughts I had in mind, can just imagine him stalking his trench lines inspiring his troops to greater efforts.

Calamity

I beleive he is described as having black skin but that's open to interpretation.

It says he's dark and melancholy, which when read in that context, is a description about his psyche, more than his appearance. Perturabos name is offcourse taken from the word "perturb" which means "to disturb greatly" etc. I have always envisioned Perturabo as a sorta sickly pale guy, with sorta half translucent skin witn mechanical stuff running through his entire form(not as pale as Konrad ofc). Offcourse, it's testament to GWs somewhat clever way of fluff writing, that they leave their fluff a bit vague, so that there's room for individual interpretation.

Looking at your sketch, you want to smallen his barbie/manga eyes pretty much, make him kinda squint as in the sun, and perhaps give him a bit higher forehead, because at the moment he looks like some Gym goon. And why does he have a nose ring? :angry: Try to make him "very" mechanical. If it's a pre-heresy sketch, then I think his bionics are suitably subltle.

---EDIT---

Well, I went and made a sketch, just for fun. Yes, proportions are to hell and whatnot, but it's given me some ideas as well :lol: It's just a quickie, it's a Heresy image, before he has turned to Deamon Prince hood, perhaps one could think of it as somewhat after Abaddon(-EDIT, Horus actually, dunno what made me think of Abaddon for. Gonna leave it there for comical value) has presented him with the hammer. :)

http://usera.imagecave.com/kronork/IronWarriors/perttu.jpg Deamon prince mode perturabo up when I first get some studiying done...

Cheers

perhaps one could think of it as somewhat after Abaddon has presented him with the hammer.

Not Abbadon, Horus man, Horus ;)

I'm keeping an eye on this, can't wait to see some more drawings :lol:

Not Abbadon, Horus man, Horus tongue.gif

LOL... Yes, that's right. Wonder what I've been thinking about while typing that...

Anyway, I offcourse meant Horus, not Abaddon. Poor ol' horus, gets no credit these days. :lol:

I'm kinda trying to think of some ideas, to make him look a bit more imposing, I'll prolly do a pic where he's more bulked out etc, kinda hard to draw and read art history at once... ;)

Cheers

LOL... Yes, that's right. Wonder what I've been thinking about while typing that...

Must have been the "When plastic Terminator's go bad" Topic :P

Anyway, get working and make some more drawings :P

The sketch is fine calamaty. Nice drawing talent (also Chronophague!, though I like him dark skinned).

(My english is not perfect, so my suggestions might not be very clear)

What I would change:

The eyes. The way you see them frontal and big, they seem too emotional.

At first, I would make them smaller. Btw, as far as I know, the free space between the two eyes is mostly so wide that a third eye would fit exactly between them (usually...). The lips are too broad too. Make them narrow. Full lips are very sensual. Perturabo was more hard and bitter. Like a rock (not the rock...though that would be cool... cage match!), so make the lips more narrow.

A little bit more head from stern upwards ( a high stern symbolizes intelligence).

Then, I'd prefer the pupils smaller in relations to the eyeball. Smaller pupils make for a more "biting", cold look.

And finally, I'd change the angle at which you see his face. Turn the head a little bit downwards (so that the nose points a little bit more to the floor), so that he has to look a tiny little itsybitsy bit upwards to see the spectator. You have to imagine it that way, that as a result the pupils will be partly covered by the brows.

Then last but not least: give him a faceful of shadows. Though you better show us the progress before you make them. I'm really looking forward to it :P

BTW, I think you sketch would be a great Vulkan. Take the sensual big eyes and lips away, a more threatening look, and optional a wider head (without him getting fat, just more blocky).

My 0.02 $

Perturabo had dark skin not colour... basicly if you work in the minds you would get the dirt from that. The Card game with pre-heresy.. unsure the name but they do have a Drawing of Perturabo.

I'll see if I can get that card up of Perturabo

IP

Perturabo had dark skin not colour... basicly if you work in the minds you would get the dirt from that

I know it's hard to focus when you write stuff, but can you please make your sentences make sense?

He had dark skin not colour... Errr, what? Not colour?

If you work in the minds you would get... ??? What??

Cheers

Made another one, this is kinda fun. He looks more like a Warsmith than a Primarch tho, guess I need to overdo him more to get that primarch feel, or pose him somehow "epic" style :lol: I took the pic with the cam, notice that the image is at an angle, so he might appear a bit top heavy cause of that :tu:

http://usera.imagecave.com/kronork/IronWarriors/WS.jpg

Cheers

I always pictured Perturabo with a few bionics, I've always thought of him as the grubby child who likes to play in the dirt

Spare your Imperial Fist flame mongering for somewhere else. :lol: Unless you really want to go through the glorious history of the most thrashed chapter in the imperium...

Cheers

And finally, I'd change the angle at which you see his face. Turn the head a little bit downwards (so that the nose points a little bit more to the floor), so that he has to look a tiny little itsybitsy bit upwards to see the spectator. You have to imagine it that way, that as a result the pupils will be partly covered by the brows.

I actually would not do that if i were you.

If you are looking down on the figure (hes looking up at you) it tends to suggest servitude.

If anything, id draw him looking down from a higher angle, to suggest that he is powerful.

And as has been said, the eyes are way outta proportion, remember, five eys can go across the face.

Just my simple offering to the table, of course nothing compared to Chrono's masterful additions:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/dasleah/pertubo.jpg

Nowhere near the level of ornateness (Wha?) that really should be on a Primarch. But doing all the gradients for the metal by hand was actually fun, and I did something new (the gold) so I'm happy.

And I'm with Chrono, this is fun. Perhaps a Primarch Drawing thread is needed? :tu:

though that would be cool... cage match!

As an Imperial Fist player i would just like to say:

"Thats cruel, way too cruel we dont like cage matches"

ahem.

I always thought of Purturbo looking Like Rogal Dorn in a way (HERESY!) Just the 2 are alike in specialities but are different most other ways.

Purturabo (i dont know how to spell it) would be thick and stocky, but not like Arnie more 'Well knit" His armour would be functional and not very ornate.

Not any Bionics please, i dont think any primarch had Bionics beyond Ferrus Mannus' Metal Hands

This is all coming from an Imperial Fist who dosnt actually like Iron Warriors that much though

so take it with a truckload of Sodium Chloride

I always liked Perturabo, to me he sort of seemed like the misunderstood one (along with all of the traitor primarchs) but I'd think his armor would be stark and functional, maybe a skull on the front of it but for the most part completely blank aside from some studs and rivets, where as his weaponry would be the best of the best, with all the fancy gizmos and gadgets of the time. As far as his face I think he had dark skin, italianish I guess and I'd go with a buzz cut or shaved head with deep sullen features, you're talking about a guy who spent most of his days in 4 foot deep trenches covered in mud and god knows what else, odds are he didn't have a whole lot to be cheery about.

angellic locks like Sanguinius, Russ or El' Johnson

Russ with Angelic locks??! (Lord Rags throws his empty stein and breaks it against the wall). Russ would not have hair as if he just walked out of the Sunshine Beauty Salon. :) :D

Archived