Vultures of Nekhbet (aegyptus astartes) painting log

OK. Some of you may or may not remember the Aegyptus Astartes project started some time ago by Nephren-Ka. Simply put, it was a place for all of those with a wish to make an egyptian themed marine army, to work on a series of background articles, images and miniatures that tied them all together.

Sadly, the project in its old incarnation fell through, after problem's in Neph's life.

I am currently working to restore as much of the old information from the project as I can, so as to eventually breathe some life and interest back into the project.

As part of this, I am going to run a record of the creation of the rest of my own army the Vultures Of Nekhbet. Their fluff can be found HERE in an old thread from the old AA forums (although they use a different disadvantage now). Think of them as a sort of a twisted AA version of the raven guard. Lots of assault marines, everything that can be in in a drop pod is. Tactical squads have bp/ccw combination, no terminators or vehicles (except landspeeders, droppods and dreadnoughts).

Goals for the project:

1) I'm at best a mediocre painter, certainly well below the quality exhibited here on this forum, so my first goal is to improve on my painting level while doing this project.

2) While working on squads, paint around 1 marine every day (every 2 at most)

3) To promote the AA among old and new members, and to organise people for the creation of a definitive guide/ website to the AA.

4) Create a playable army that I'm happy with. This does not mean a power gamer's army. My current list that I am working towards is not uber-competitive. Rather I want to do interesting model conversions, and for once have a complete, tabletop standard army to play with, as my old chaos were truly abysmal.

I've already posted the beginning of it on the old AA forums, but I thought I'd post it here also.

Final note to the mods. I don't know if I should be creating a thread for this or not, so if you think it'd be wiser to put it somewhere else, please tell me :lol:

NOTE: these posts is taken from the other thread on the old AA website.

---

I plan to spend at most each month $NZ 55 (or the cost of a tactical box set, $35 US) for 6 months, in order to finish off my army, with any leftover being transeferred to the available cash for the next month.

My army is based around drop pods, so these will be hand made and not included in the costs.

Currently to complete this army, I require the following:

10 space wolf blood claws (NZ $55)

1 dreadnought (can acquire for NZ $50)

10 assault marines (NZ $90)

4 marines with missile launchers, 3 with bolters (uncertain, will be E-bay crawling for these).

I will post regular updates in this thread, with pictures when I can get them.

First month: the tactical squad.

11/5/06-

Bought a box of Space Wolf Blood claws. Spent some time assembling a few, and then sculpting greenstuff onto them to create a more egyptian feel. They're based off the blank marine images that were made by Neph (which can be found in the WHO'S STILL IN? thread on the old AA forum.)

Spent some time painting, and managed to complete the first two, with a good (for me) level of detailon the models.

All in all they look considerably better than the older squad that I've done especially the veteran sergeant. I replaced his bannerpole with a stone tablet (think ten commandments style), but have yet to decide what to put on it when painted.

Also came across a book of egyptian art in the university library today with some quotes from the RL Ptahhotep, philosipher and artisan, which would work well in some banners (they had it in the original hieroglyphs).

I'm thinking of writing some fluff for a 40k version of this guy, maybe make his writings the basis of Hammers of Khons liturgy, or a cult of Amun version of the codex astartes.

11/5/06

A photo of the first member of the tac squad. I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out, but I need to find a better silver paint. The symbol on his shoulder is a reed/feather hieroglyph. I'm using it as the symbol for tac marines (it's a little hard to make out from the angle.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/thunderball44/TacticalVulture1.jpg

14/5/05

OK, I had a go at converting a khopesh shaped chainsword for one of my tactical squad members. It's surprisingly easy to do, provided that you have even limited GS Skills. I'll post a guide when I post a pic of the finished marine.

Also started on building the frame for my egyptian style droppod. Very easy to do as well, provided that you have an out line for the fins.

----

All posts from here on in will be new.

Actually saw several of his models in person.. He lives not too far from me.. alas.. due to life's little problems Nephren-Ka had to sell off his army. So they never got any further than a few models.. :)

He has started another army, but I am not sure as to what direction he plans to take them. Maybe he will bring the Aegyptus Astartes back from the ashes. :devil:

As for your army.. Good luck and looking forward to seeing more pics.

DAMN you!!!!! now you wnet and did it! :D j/k :) thunder my friend I thank you. if you hadn't done this I wouldn't have even thought of talking to friends about ways to get my fluff back. all i could see was what I thought I had lost and couldn't replace. Your've got the AA fire burning again and got me thinking. WHile I dont have an army currently you know how many I wrote up for the project so now I just gotta decide which one I wanna do. Keep up the Good Work!!

Nice to know you're still in Blood Angel IV :jaw:

Even nicer to know it's inspired you somewhat Neph :rolleyes:

As to an army update, 5 marines are now done. Getting quicker at painting them, but noticed that the paint is way too thick on a couple. Not sure what I'll do about that...

Also, the Space wolf sprue doesn't come with a plasma gun (although there is a melta) OR arms to hold it. Have to scour around.

Will post pics when I've got the squad of nine painted and based, then again when their Droppod's done.

Anyone got a link to a good technique for painting bone? The vet. sergeant's helmet is something I want to look good, and this'd be helpful.

As to an army update, 5 marines are now done. Getting quicker at painting them, but noticed that the paint is way too thick on a couple. Not sure what I'll do about that...

Also, the Space wolf sprue doesn't come with a plasma gun (although there is a melta) OR arms to hold it. Have to scour around.

Two tips from me is to assembly-line five models at a time, at least during the early stages. Painting two coats of thinned paint on five models takes about the same time as to do it on one :)

When you come to the details you can take a bit more care and do them individually if you wish.

The other is to buy the command squad. There are a lot of useful bits, including 'rifle' arms. You still get B&C arms for a few marines in the box so see it as an expensive 5-man squad with a ton of bits :P

You could even try and get the Black Templars command squad for even more bits, but I don't think it's sold in stores anymore unless they have some left.

20/5/06:

Have painted all the marines! Basing will be done soon, pics either late tonight (GMT+12) or early tomorrow morning.

Went for the cheap option on the plasma gunner, and replace a bolt pistol with the plasma gun, having it pointed at the ground, with his other hand holding a khopesh chainsword. Also did some last minute GS work on the vet. sergeant, sculpting an ankh on his shoulder.

21/5/06

PICS!

OK, here's the completed squad. I know everyone says it, but they really do look better in real life, apologies for the photo quality.

Group shots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/thunderball44/groupshot2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/thunderball44/groupshot.jpg

40k maths for kids: 1/2 a plasma pistol + 1/2 a bolter = 1 wierd looking plasma gun

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/thunderball44/plasmabolter.jpg

A khopesh chainsword:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/thunderball44/khopeshchainsword.jpg

Just realised I forgotto paint the pupils of the plasma gunner's eyes. Oh welll.

Noice! I am definately digging that kopesh chainsword! I doubt I would have ever though of something as cool as that.

The paint scheme is good and simple, although I think it would look nice to add some cool colors (ie blue, green, etc) to break up the models a bit, and make them more visually appealing IMHO.

Master_Aerethos

somethiung that might look cool, but is probly too late now would be to make them all be wearing burial mask things. maybe use the 1000 sons heads but replace the front of the helmets with faces and paint them gold, like masks.

i dunno

love the chainsword though

somethiung that might look cool, but is probly too late now would be to make them all be wearing burial mask things. maybe use the 1000 sons heads but replace the front of the helmets with faces and paint them gold, like masks.

Yeah, too late, and doesn't really fit what I had in mind. Besides, the 1000 sons heads are very closely associated with chaos.

However, the next project (dreadnought) will have part of a tutankhamen style sarcophagous (sp?) with burial mask.

Thanks for the comments on the chainsword. Very easy conversion too!

-Master Aerethos; Yes I'll have to start doing that again. The thing is that last time I used blue on one of these, it looked a bit strange, as I had all three primary colours on the model. Purple or green might work though.

24/05/06

Found a dreadnought, untouched for NZ $41.15 (about $25.77 US) on trademe (local ebay equivalent), so bought it ahead of time.

until I get it, here's a concept drawing of what I'll try to do to it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/thunderball44/VultureDread.jpg

r(2)truth- Thanks. If I can find that part I'll use it. If not, I'll use plasticard and greenstuff to make one look like it.

pantherrex- I'm not sure what you mean by the "covenant". Only thing with that name I can think of is the inquisitor model.

Burn-the-heretic - thanks :)

Also, Getting ideas for my commander model. I'll need to source some warmaster carrion for it.

The glaives are too big for HQ and sergeants, I'd have to check it against the dreadnought first to know whether it'd be right for that, which it might well be.

Other problem is I can't order bitz except from the UK/US here, and postage is very expensive, so I'd have to ebay crawl for the whole model.

26/05/06

Recieved the dreadnought and did the GS work on it. Even managed to make a vulture to sit on it out of the owl from the dryad spre and green stuff!

Tried out getting a close combat weapon like the options mentioned above to work on a spare arm that I had, but it didn't look right, so for the moment I'll just keep with the regular powerfist and work on the sword idea later. Hopefully I'll manage to do by the time the rest of the army is done.

Pics of the GS work tomorrow.

vulture bit off the catapult might be a choice for you. glaives off the chariot riders of tomb kings might be another option for your vets. so far everything looks good can't wait to see more while I travel the darkened path.

31/05/06

DREADNOUGHT COMPLETE!

Wow, what's happening to me? Two days to complete a vehicle :D Usually it takes weeks/months due to laziness... Finished it quite literally on the stroke of midnight (I live right next to theuniversity clock tower :P)

Anyways, pretty much complete. Will probably go back and fix up a few things on the model later, and put more onto the base to make it more interesting. Someone told me this morning that the edge around the sarcophagous looks like NMM. I don't think so, and that wasn'tmy intention either, but there you go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/thunderball44/Sesostrisside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/thunderball44/Sesostrisfront.jpg

Archived