WIP: Red Scorpions

baneful

G'day everyone,

Well Im looking for some feed back on what ive done so far.

http://groups.msn.com/BanefulsPics/redscor...5thcompany.msnw

So far its mostly all wip for a tournament in just under a fortnights time and I am still not 100% happy even for just gaming standard. Which is all im trying to achieve as I still have 1600 odd points to paint.

What do you all think? any critisism is welcome.

Cheers.

They look good. Keep moving forward, don't go back to fix anything until you're done. Right now you're viewing them in a bubble. In the context of a Tournament full of different armies of different qualities they'll look great.

Looking lovely and crisp. I love that drop pod.

Should look great once they are all together. Its always a pleasure seeing a massive and well painted army :P

Nice work, And As far as I'm aware the Red Scorpions armour used to be red before GW changed the colour to the charcoal grey and yellow that it is now, I've just read Imperial Armour 4 and I must say the Red Scorpions are a great chapter

Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry I havnt responded sooner.

Now my painitng stands at 3 almost completed Tactical Squads, and a Land Speeder Tornado.

Yellow recepie is simple, just a base coat of white then using sunblast yellow from vallejo, for the yellow on the drop pod i mixed some white into the yellow for a bight of a lighter colour.

As for the bases, they are resin. From an Australian, supplier/company called "Warbases.com" (the sites not up yet, but will be in the near future), I know the buisiness owner from another set of boards, if your really keen I can get him to contact you/put you in touvh.

They are made out of Iron-resin. Which means they will stick to magnets, I use his fantasy cobblestone bases on my dogs of war and with that property magnetic movement trays make everything so simple.

Ill provide some more pics once ive got the force almost done, cheers.

Looks like no 'Best Army' for me this year :( .

They look pretty darn nice to me, I guess I'll see 'em in the flesh(paint, plastic, whatever) in two weeks then(G'con right) :tu:

G'day again everyone, no pics today. But ill share some more in the next couple of days.

Ignatius, I think the bluish tinge is just the pictures. I will take the next shots on a white back ground. Might turn out better.

Daviej37 yep Im hoping they will be ready in time for G'con. What army are you taking? Are you the Dave whom won Best Army last year with Black Templars?

Thought I would share a recipie of how they are painted too. Its a bit rough but does the job,

Ok heres a quick break down of the paints and how ive done the armour.

Black Undercoat (white knights flat black), base coat all over of 'german black grey' (vallejo historical type line thingy- white lid), bleach bone over all eagles/purity seals/skulls etc, red gore over seals/eyes/scorpion sybol (do a skull white base coat in the circle first - makes it easier), brighter red on red areas (blood red), gold circle around scorpion, white over bone areas/in scorpion circle, ultramarineblue power cords ?(optional highlight of blue mixed with white.

Metal on armour vallejo gun metal, then vallejo silver highlights, silver on weapons is gamesworkshop mithril.

For yellow, a base coat of skull white over undercoat where it has to go, then vallejo golden yellow until it looks nice/passable

Ive got 4 more termies, my commander, 19 tactical marines, 1 apothecary and a predator to complete by thursday next week.

Cheers everyone, pics will be incoming soonish

Yep, that's me and it's Templars again, albeit completely reorganised and making their last official tourny for the time being.

I did a similar thing to you last year, leaving myself less than a month to paint a whole army, though no mongrel forgeworld bitz(mongrel to paint, not to look at). Now its taking me more than a month to paint an IC, Squad(20 man though) and a vindi, I think I'm going backwards :blink:

Cool good to hear you will be attending. I was the lost and the Damned last year.

Yes the FW stuff is a pain to paint (my next couple of projects will have me stuffed - nids with a hierophant and 2 hierodules, etc), but is eye candy and feeds my resin addiction :D

Thought the worse bit was not having it sent to me until 14 days after its release date :blink: , and 16 days after i was charged for it :) . Was bad form on Forgeworlds part, especially not responding to emails :jaw: .

Im finding it hard to put out the army at this standard in such time, but its rewarding as it all grows. Lucky I changed my list and didnt take the full company like I had planned. 100 marines would have been a struggle.

Good luck for the tourney mate, I think it will be a challenge to wrestle best army off you ;) .

very nice - looking forward to seeing the final army.

Just got my Commander Culn through and am preparing to hack him up so i'll be interested to see if you're ddoing a conversion with yours or just going for the 'clean' model.

happy painting!

lhg033

New pictures on the link everyone.

Including Commander Lucian Hanno (culln), the 4th tactical squad and a front shot of the predator.

10 Marines left to go tonight!

Let me know what you all think, cheers.

looks really great :P

only gripe is that the Nid skull on the captains base is way too white B) it needs some bone and a chestnut ink wash on it to make it a more lifelike skull ;)

otherwise great army ...keep it up.

mithril

Nice army you got there, Bane! Well done!

Maelis:

In the Badab war the Red Scorpions had an alternative colour scheme of red and charcoal gray/black (Angstrom Incident colour scheme). You could use that.

Have fun!

Archangelus

Archived