how do I start?

Do you need help with the preperation too? Or is the paintingyour only problem. The best paintingtips won't help you much if you havethe miniatures painting ready. Could you explain your situation a bit more please?

Dont worry about it dude, painting Templars is quite simple, Just follow the guides on the GW website (which has been linked) and remember to base you're models, you will regret it later if you dont.

Another thing, when you have primed your models with black spraypaint, make sure you go over them with a chaos black and water mix, the spray is a different colour to the chaos black, it turns out as more of a grey with time.

There are a couple of basics that really help, they are a bit boring but you can't ignore them really.

1. You need to wash the plastic sprues first, they are covered in oils from the moulding process, this can prevent paint from sticking properly. Use an old toothbrush, water and some dishwashing liquid.
  2. Take your time to scrape off all mouldlines from the models, either before glueing or after depending on taste. Use a sharp hobby knife for scraping.

US GW Site link

UK GW Site Link

These should help you out. Also, if you're near a GW store, stop by there. Usually these guys will help you out. They also offer a 6 week course called the Academy. This will teach you all the basics from the rules, how to play, make terrain, and paint your army. It does cost $50, but in the end you'll get a miniature case from GW that is worth the $50. Some people here may tell you not to go, but check it out for yourself, and definetly don't listen to everything you hear on message boards. It's mostly good, but you'll find a lot of garbage too.

• 3 weeks later...
I suggest you paint the peices of armour individually BEFORE you assemble them. I assembled my guys before planning ANYTHING so most of my army has crappy poses and paintjobs (I've been recently redoing the paint though) so I speak from experience. Get an action figure and come up with some nice poses and whatnot, then glue your model together. Then, of course, let us see :drool:

Here are my suggestions...

Like 650 said, go down to your local GW and check their calendar, if they don't have one up, ask. You want to go to a painting/assembling/getting started session. If all they have is the Academy, and you can afford it (or wanted to buy a case anyway) then take that course. If they don't have either (or you can't afford the Academy) then ask the employee if there's a time that you could bring down your new box of Marines to have them show you how to put them together and paint them. Most stores have slow times where the employees will be very happy to help you out.

Second tip... don't get too excited about trying to emulate what you see on this board. The skill levels around here range up to Champion painters/modelers. It's fun for inspiration but easy to get caught up in trying to run before you can walk. Follow the basics you learn at your local GW and try to have fun making good basic Marines. If you enjoy the painting/modeling, then you can move on. If you don't enjoy that aspect as much then you can keep working on getting good basic Marines done to play with.

Archived