Iron Hands too long in the void - corrupted by necrons

I always wondered if you could make iron hand more bionic looking using necrons. I remember reading in one novel about a sargeant with an metal arm made out of liquid metal. It had to be necron technology. So what happens is a small band of iron hands runs survives by salvaging and incorporating necron parts for a few centuries? This.

http://www.pbase.com/chipndip/image/60551963/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/chipndip/image/60551949/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/chipndip/image/60551957/medium.jpg

WIP page More to come later, I promise.

**EDIT: Come on guys, lets try and put some spaces in between our image tags so as not to make a 1400 pixel wide post next time.**

I remember reading in one novel about a sargeant with an metal arm made out of liquid metal. It had to be necron technology.

I think that was the Uriel Ventris book Nightbringer where his sergeant got that arm as a replacement. He also had it in Warriors of Ultramar, and Deak Sky, Black Sun if I recall.

the termies and the rest of the marines look great, especially with the necron spinal chords, but the landraider(?)/monolith thing... not so much. its just too big and top heavy. maybe if you put the 'lith right side up it could work but not as it is. the heavy weapons arent too hot, in my opinon, either. dont know what i dont like about them, i just dont.

Unreal I won a painting comp with a unit of iron hands. it was a chapter fluff comp and model entrys. mine were IH that blah blah blah blah basically their commander got visions to use the tech to keep their company alive, only to be tainted by the deciever!

the termies and the rest of the marines look great, especially with the necron spinal chords, but the landraider(?)/monolith thing... not so much. its just too big and top heavy. maybe if you put the 'lith right side up it could work but not as it is. the heavy weapons arent too hot, in my opinon, either. dont know what i dont like about them, i just dont.

The lascannon is okay, but the Zzap gun just looks too much like a Zzap gun.

HERESY!!!

Gotta love it... i really like your necron/termies... got any more close ups of them? the pics of them from the front are a bit fuzzy. ;)

The necron leggs on the marine look funny... but the more i look at them the nicer i think its looking.... inacse they have their legs blown of them maybe.

Im not such a fan of the tank doh... but it does seem huge... :devil:

First off LOVE the spinal cords youve done a pretty nice job ...that said the monoloth/land raider ?!?!?! WAY to top hheavy maybe a "hover" land raider woulda been a bit cooler and well it just looks like a LR with a monoloth put on top... more could have been done with it is all im saying. As for your men well a few look a little "over the top" maybe holding back on some of the conversions would help my\aybe make them a lil more sudeler(soz cant spell) like a bit here a bit there not so mch work on 1 model spread it out and "blend the parts in a bit more" not so much a ok heres a necron head theres some legs and heres a giant necron arm but less noticeable while still being notice able... confusing ey. All that said nice job keep it up.

p.s.From what I know when a necron army get destoryed (or close to) they all phase out INCLUDING dead necrons unless the parts were keept in a kind of "no phasey thing" statis field thingy durin battle i doubt there would be much scraps to salvage...

Either "Great Minds Think Alike" or "Fools Seldom Differ". I was just discussing doing the Space Marine/Necron Mix two weekends ago A little differnt in the execution but same basic idea.

I'll fall back to my other plan and mix them with Fantasy Skeletons and Play a thousand Sun list.

-Colin

Oh very cool I might add.

They look nice, tho taking any parts from necrons is supposed to be impossible, since they phase out if they take too much damage, and that means the whole necron, along with all it's parts disappear.

The reason the guy in the Nightbringer book has a hand of living metal is that he was injured by the nightbringer, and probably contracted some of the Nightbringers essence at that point. It would just seem his bionic hand is more happy with it's new host(free service).

Personally I view everthing that uses necron parts as bionics(fluffvise) similar to Eldar using ork limb transplants.

Cheers

I suppose his fluff is saying their necrons but If he wanted he could just say they are cybernetically enhanced and used whatever ruleset he feels comfortable with.

Don't pigeon hole You can explain away just about anything you want in this hobby with a little creativity.

-Colin

They look nice, tho taking any parts from necrons is supposed to be impossible, since they phase out if they take too much damage, and that means the whole necron, along with all it's parts disappear.

Then how do you explain the Necron head trophys on the Chaos wehicle accessory sprue? <_<

Don't pigeon hole You can explain away just about anything you want in this hobby with a little creativity.

-Colin

Then how do you explain the Necron head trophys on the Chaos wehicle accessory sprue? :blush:

Good point. Maybe the bit was intended for Chaos players who want to do a Necron v. Chaos diorama and they forgot about the fluff?[/stretching it lots]

The necron leggs on the marine look funny... but the more i look at them the nicer i think its looking.... inacse they have their legs blown of them maybe.

"Sergeant, put your pants back on!"

Then how do you explain the Necron head trophys on the Chaos wehicle accessory sprue? huh.gif
I'd wager GW sculptors don't really care about the fluff that much. When we talk of fluff, I will have the necron codex take precedence over what some hamfisted GW sculptor happens to sculpt.

Why did some LOTR models suddenly become 1 head taller than other, there's nothing about that in the LOTR books either...

Good idea, I'll make a C'tan army right now, with 120 C'tans, using IG rules. Or, how about Necrons driving around in ork buggies, maybe they kinda liked the way orks operate, with that fly style, driving around in buggies all day having fun. Yeah, time for a necron moodswing. They wear bermuda shorts and strawhats, smoking sigars, shooting bigshootas at each other, laughing as the time of the universe swings past.

I could probably explain the fluff for the above, but there's a border when stuff goes beyond feasible.... That's what I'm talking about here, not the fact that even the dumbest idea(not talking about OPs stuff) can be explained because of GWs at times very ambigous fluff. Personally, I have no intrest in looking at stuff that, at least in my opinion is far fetched, if not seemingly impossible to exist in the 40k universe.

That's at least my opinion.

Cheers

Few more pictures.....

http://www.pbase.com/chipndip/image/60625016/medium.jpg

Plasma rifles.

http://www.pbase.com/chipndip/image/60625024/medium.jpg

Commander with warhammer bulldogs for wound counters. (Arm is from Iron Warriors Warsmith)

http://www.pbase.com/chipndip/image/60625028/medium.jpg

Dreadnoughts. Not really bulky enough for my tastes, but it fits the theme.

http://www.pbase.com/chipndip/image/60625009/medium.jpg

Sargeants. Every squad leader has a servo arm rather than a banner pole. I hate banner poles because they are always breaking, but I like having the squad leaders clearly identified.

I had no idea this would be so controversial. I guess if these marines bother you, you really shouldn't look at my Khornate Ork Beserkers because those are truely whacky.

WIP page with much larger images

BTW, I thought this was a game that lent itself to creative thinking??

It is supposed to be. *glares at anyone who wants to stifle creativity*

Keep it up, don't listen to the naysayers. I think incorporating Xeno tech is something than any marine force stuck without supplies would do. The Necron spinal columns work well, too. Plus, I love the sergeants. Keep posting them. :lol:

Then how do you explain the Necron head trophys on the Chaos wehicle accessory sprue? huh.gif

I'd wager GW sculptors don't really care about the fluff that much. When we talk of fluff, I will have the necron codex take precedence over what some hamfisted GW sculptor happens to sculpt.

Why did some LOTR models suddenly become 1 head taller than other, there's nothing about that in the LOTR books either...

Good idea, I'll make a C'tan army right now, with 120 C'tans, using IG rules. Or, how about Necrons driving around in ork buggies, maybe they kinda liked the way orks operate, with that fly style, driving around in buggies all day having fun. Yeah, time for a necron moodswing. They wear bermuda shorts and strawhats, smoking sigars, shooting bigshootas at each other, laughing as the time of the universe swings past.

I could probably explain the fluff for the above, but there's a border when stuff goes beyond feasible.... That's what I'm talking about here, not the fact that even the dumbest idea(not talking about OPs stuff) can be explained because of GWs at times very ambigous fluff. Personally, I have no intrest in looking at stuff that, at least in my opinion is far fetched, if not seemingly impossible to exist in the 40k universe.

That's at least my opinion.

Cheers

@Cronophague:Congratulations! You win nothing! so what if his army contradicts the fluff? Most GW fluff contradicts itself nowadays anyway

OT: i like your stuff so far dude, esecially the Land Raider, it just looks cool, but i can't put my ifnger on why

@Cronophague:Congratulations! You win nothing! so what if his army contradicts the fluff? Most GW fluff contradicts itself nowadays anyway
I wasn't expecting a prize for anything here. :lol: GW fluff is ambigous, not really so contradictory. Except offcouse that every race is unbeatable and hard as nails when you read their fluff... ;)

Who ever said it didn't? My beef is more with your fluff than your models. They could be experimental bionics based on what has been gleamed on vid material from the field surveing necrons, and for some reason your techpriest have become heretics and started to copy xenos design, or at least try to imitate, since they have proven to be far superior. For my part, I cannot stomach the idea of looting necrons, just like I can't think of eldar using ork organs or limbs as transplants. We all have our different views, and I'm not trying to fling mud on creativity, rather I'm more intrested in what's feasible withing the boundaries of the fluff given. If you haven't read Necron fluff, it's completely understandable that you would assume it's possible...

Cheers

Idea 1 - The partcular sector of space they were in has an unknown property which inhibits the teleporting of the Necron's. Which would explain why they resorted to corrupting Marine to fill out there number becasue they could not regroup to repair themselves the way they normal would.

Idea 2 - This chapter of Marine was sent to hunt down Necrons. Knowing that they would just Phase out once they were beaten they developed an inhibitor field to prevent the Necrons teleporting away at the last moment but something went wrong.....

There are two relatively plausible ideas and they each took about 6 seconds (oh and a lifetime being a geek.) They are in no way polished or the only possible explantions.

-Creativity, I'm not saying ignore the fluff completely I'm saying If you have a cool idea, find a way to explain it don't give up on it because it technically doesn't fit with GW cannon.

-Colin

Oh and straw hats and Bermudea Shorts don't cut it. :lol: =) Unless we are using some definition of cool to which I was previously unaware. ;)

Idea 1 - The partcular sector of space they were in has an unknown property which inhibits the teleporting of the Necron's. Which would explain why they resorted to corrupting Marine to fill out there number becasue they could not regroup to repair themselves the way they normal would.

Idea 2 - This chapter of Marine was sent to hunt down Necrons. Knowing that they would just Phase out once they were beaten they developed an inhibitor field to prevent the Necrons teleporting away at the last moment but something went wrong.....

And the second they take out those parts from the inhibitor field or they leave the area of space where necrons can't phase out(which offocurse brings the question what necrons do there, since their ships move with similar tech) the part that was a marines leg phases back to the necron tomb complex. :tu:

Oh and straw hats and Bermudea Shorts don't cut it. rolleyes.gif =) Unless we are using some definition of cool to which I was previously unaware. biggrin.gif

That's the necron side shining through the attempted coolness. ;)

Cheers

Archived