Thinking of buying a lamp

Hello, I'm looking for advice on buying a lamp. I want to get one that would be good for taking quality photos of models.

Due to a variety of circumstances, I need to buy a new bedside lamp and I have NZ$120 to spare (~US$75 UK$40). I currently have a halogen lamp I use for painting models. So the way I see it I have three options.

• Buy a bedside lamp that doubles for taking photos and leave my halogen where it is.
  • Use my current halogen as a bedside light, and buy a new lamp that works for both taking photos and painting models.
  • Buy another halogen exactly the same for my bedside, and use both of them for taking photos.

So, anyone have tips on what to look for?

Thanks.

I happen to use exactly the same setup as the third option, I have two identical halogen lamps and it works well enough for me.

But having said that, I'm not exactly the most talented fellow so it might just be that my standards aren't high enough :D.

I am concidering those clamp-on lights with a Halogen bulb for picture taking. unpainted or flocked foam-core board for reflectors, and I should get plenty of light on the models, without washing them out. We'll see.

Rymeer

My buddy Prot has this neat halogen lamp deal built into a magnifying glass thats mounted on an adjustable arm. Don't know where he got it tho, you could message him and ask really nicely :D

It's pretty sweet, Id get one but Im cheap.

I would getting a full spectrum or daylight bulb. Having even, intense lighting helps to no end while painting. Much easier to see all the details that way. I don't paint without one now. Just get a cheap-ish swing arm lamp so that you can adjust the lighting angle and pop a good bulb in it.

I'd suggest just two lamps. For painting all I'd suggest is one thats very posable. Two daylight bulbs as well and you should be able to take great photos. I'd suggest you avoid flourescent lamps like the plague. They are really bright and great for painting with. However most digital cameras have problems with them as they can detect the constant flashing that the human eye doesn't see. Makes the few cameras I've tried go really screwy and I either get really dull or really bright pics. Sometimes I can get lucky and get a shot near a good exposure but its once in a blue moon. Hope this helps.

Don't waste your money on a desk lamp!! A good photo setup requires only a few construction clamp lamps, found at any hardware store. They look like a lighbulb socket with a clamp and a large silver reflector attached to them, and they're DIRT CHEAP. When I take photographs of miniatures I've done for publication, I use three or four of these to get perfect, even lighting. PM me and I'll send you a .PDF tutorial.

Terry

Archived