WIP: DeathWing Terminator

NatG

Hi

This is a DeathWing Terminator I'm working on at the moment. I'm quite happy with it so far. I want to see what everyone else thinks as I'm always looking to improve my painting.

http://www.btinternet.com/~n.gudgeon/term_sb_cf_1.jpg

http://www.btinternet.com/~n.gudgeon/term_sb_cf_2.jpg

I look forward to your comments.

Nat

Looking really good NatG! A squad of these woll look very cool on the battle field.

Some highlighting of the armour and shoulderpards is needed, but considering this is a WIP shot it really looks great!

I specially like the base - did you make it?

Cheers

The bone is absolutely beautiful, and I love the detail on the Crux.

Not too sure about the green shoulderpad though. I know (or at least hope) that it's not finished yet, but even when it is I can't see it working.

Also, the holes in the Stormbolter look far too small. Maybe that's just me.

Looks very nice!

Like said, it's a bit plain, perhaps some more purity-seals?

Ow, and that DA-green shoulderpad looks off. DW have a bone-coloured shoulderpad with a red brokensword image on it (the deahtwing-sign)

Thats some nice painting there, I am loving the bone, but some freehand swords and stuff could really make it pop. As has been said im not so sure about the green pad, but ill reserve judgement until its finished.

How did you do the bone because I am about to embark on a deathwing army? Can't wait to this finished, good work!

Raven

Thanks for all your great comments everybody.

First of all I have to say I didn't do the base it's from Forge World. (It has given me a lot of ideas for bases. When I've finished painting I'm going to have a route through my bits box and see what I can come up with on my own).

Yes the shoulder pad does need highlighting and a DeathWing symbol (got to practice my free hand first). As for it's colour, I've heard a lot of people comment on how plain some DeathWing Terminators look. I saw this as a good way to introduce a little more colour. I think I may add some more purity seals maybe some feathers (I'll have to practice my GreenStuff as well). I have made the holes in the bolter larger as now that it has been pointed out they do look a bit silly.

Anyway thanks for your great comment and I hope to post a pic update soon.

Nat

I could be mistaken, but I think the tac squad decal sheet has a few death wing symbols on it (the red dark angels symbol with a crack in the sword?). Maybe dig some of them up and just use those so as not to worry abotu the free hand.

*EDIT* nvm...they are on the tank decal sheet...sorry

I agree with you, most DW termies are plain. But I think you could do some more to make them less plain. Tribal markings generally look cool (I know, you commented on freehand, but you need to start somewhere!) Also, I think doing some green and black hazard markings, as opposed to yellow and black, would look pretty incredible.

And on the pose, the only quib I have is that his arms are swinging in an unnatural position. The left arm should be forward, and the right should be back. Trust me, I know from personal experience. Click me to see!

Master_Aerethos

Uum, acutally the arms swing opposite of the legs. The termi here is leading with its left leg, and about to step forward with its right leg. In this position, if it were swinging its arms naturally, it would have its right arm forward and its left arm back. However, if it is holding its storm bolter at ready, as it seems to be, it would only be swinging one arm, the left, which would still be back as opposed to forward.

• 1 month later...

Ok I've done a bit more work to this guy and I've got some new pictures so it's time for an update.

http://www.darkangels.talktalk.net/term_sbcf200.jpg

As always all comments welcome.

Nat

Simple but effective, it looks great.

I think it needs some sort of freehand or patterning in the powerfist just to help breakup all that bone (Probably using Dark Green), I'd also suggest doing one of the knee pads in the same green as the shoulder pad. Unless it is some obscure detail, you typically don't want a colour to appear only once on a model, as is the case with the shoulder pad.

-Legacy40k

You are definately better than I at painting DW! I love the overall look of menace yo have created. Very nice blending and highlighting... I do agree that it wouldn't hurt to add some danger striping and maybe even some feathers, or litanies.

One question, what is it that you used for the DW symbol on the right shoulder? It looks to be sticking out and even hanging over the edge of the shoulderpad. Is that intentional?

It looks great though, keep up the great work and keep posting pics. <_<

Archived