Hi,

Just wondered how other people dealt with this. I find myself, after almost two decades in this hobby, running out of enthusiasm, inspiration, and ideas. Painting has always been the biggest draw for me, with gaming providing a bit of impetus to get things done, but of late, I just can't seem to get behind a project.

My two existing armies, orks and Sisters, while still fun to play, are no longer as inspiring as they once were, and the few new armies that seem to draw me fail to sustain enthusiasm for more than a day or two. I have a half-doxen projects ont he go, none of which are near completion, and I can't seem to muster the energy to get any of them done.

I've tried slowing down, and really concentrating on a model I've always liked and wanted to paint, or working with more demanding colours, but I get impatient with the process. I've tried pumping out models quickly, in order to get them on the tabletob, or using simple colour schemes, but am dissatisfied with the results or bored with the paintings.

When I first started this game, new projects and painting inspired me. I got a huge kick out the whole process of army design, conversion, selecting and executing a paint scheme, etc. Now, it increasingly feels like work.

Anyone else out there come across a spell like this? What did you do about it?

FoP

I started an Imperial Fist army B)

Seriously, there's nothing more challenging then trying to best the likes of Obliterator in painting yellow (never happen :( ) and the backround behind them is enthralling.. :D

I burn out all the time. I find the best cure, is to set aside what I have been working on, and either just take a break, or really challenge myself with something new. Now not being all that great a painter, I strive for more and more elaborate and creative conversions.

When I burn out i'll just take a spin-off from the hobby. Build a terrain board, sculpt something or make aquarell painting, works wonders and gives inspiration for your armies.

You could also try to learn a new painting tecnique like NMM, advanced blending or freehand.

For some reason, I can't bring myself to paint my 15 traitor guard models for my LatD army. Since priming these guys, I've painted an entire loyalist marine army and half an ork one.

I have encountered this with my Guard army. It's a small detachment, few models, mostly Sentinels really.

You think you've got problems- i have an Infantry Company >.<

I just can't bring myself to put Arms on the latest 2 squads...

Well, the only way to beat burn out is to get a sense of accomplishment.

Look down (up? around?) at your hobby table and find something that is almost done. Something that just needs some flocking or highlighting (we aaaaallll have some of these).

Just finish it.... even if it's 5 guys... paint, highlight, ink, do your base, flock and clear coat (if that's what you do).

If you assembly line paint, just do one step for 20 guys (everyone gets a face, or boots... whatever.)

That usually works for me.

Well it seems like you have done the most. For me it was enough to just make a Space Marine squad that was totaly different from what I had done before and with the pressure from an upcoming tournament in the back of my head. Well they are not done and the tournament is in august. I managed to put 5 of them together, they are going to be 8 in total. Took some nice parts from the bitbox and made really cool running Veterans, and I stayed up the whole night painting one of them and now he have only a little paint left. I will force myself to paint 30 models (including the Veterans) until the tournament.

As has been mentioned, trying something new is always good, as is trying something difficult/challenging however it looks like you tried this already.

Last time I had a bit of a burn out I made a game board, it worked for me, and I'll be doing the same thing again soon enough (look forward to the "blog" folks.).

The other more desperate suggestion is to get out of the hobby for a short while, it nearly always drags people back, the only problem is it can take anything from a month or too (last time I had a break) or years (1998-2004 when I first "gave up").

Well i have been on vacation from the hobby since B&C went down, and now with the fall of medusa V and some crazy ideas me and my cousin have got, im starting to get going again, dunno if it will be orks or sisters of battle.

My biggest problem with starting up again is that i need new paints, and my new hobby hardball takes alot money. :)

what i do is start or finish a new project, like when i get bored of painting daemonunters I'll switch to my marines, and now that that's boring I'm starting my "Bikes with LEgs" army, to fit in with the whole Knight theme of my army, i would suggest trying something new and hopefully exciting.

Well I've only been in the hobby a couple of years but I got burned out about 4 months into it. I just took a break and went back to my old hobby....computer gaming. :ph34r: Can't remember what brought me back. It may have been the new SM codex.

I think a good break may be in order for you. I'm sure once the new Ork codex comes out you'll be salivating and frothing to get back in.

-------------

I'll also do what Grey Knight suggests. If I get bored or burned out because I'm forcing my self to finish my army quicker, I'll move to something else like Orks or one of the 1million other SM armies I want to try.

Archived