Bikes

KJB

I've decided to include a bike squad in my Iron Hands force and want to give it a knightly feel after watching 'Kingdom of Heaven' (The same film which persuaded me to include a servitor lugging the imperial eagle about with him..) The cold mechanics of the bikes replace the weak, hated flesh of the horses (obviously) but I have to admit I was less than impressed when I opened up the bike squad box set, I'll not be using the metal torso's (as they look a bit dated now I think) - and I'm at a total loss for ideas and figured if anyone could help it would be you guys.. I've got lots of forge world purity seals lying about and my urban basing kit turns up next week for the bases (well, duh..) - I was thinking of maybe getting some black templar parts? I had a look at the white scars bikers, but the torsos would be to out of place, might order some more bionic heads, pads etc, what do you guys reckon?

I really wish GW would re-do marine bikers, though it would mean I would need to buy eleven new ones. I remember when they came out in 96-97, and they weren't the best models then, let alone a decade down the track.

An idea for Iron Hands bikers might be to have some marines (maybe just a vet sarge) actually integrated into his bike (with just a torso, arms and head showing. and with a heavily converted or kit bashed bike). You could give the other bikers lances or the like that are integrated into their arm (so the whole thing would be a bionic construct).

i'm thinking that if you take the elbow pads off and find a way to extend the forearm armor to a point it might make it look like older armour. the plastic emperor's champion shoulder pads may look better as well. if you put some cloaks on the riders, it may also help with the effect of motion. i second the idea of integrated lances as well. just make sure that they have some kind of secondary weapon for close combat.

-Chip

How about riders with...

Honor Guard

style heads wielding...

White Scar

weapons and some plasticard barding sort of like the leather bands in front of the Honor Guard groin garnishing all of the wheel wells on the bike? Give them some heraldic flag poles, perhaps a grav cycle and add some wings?

I just finished painting up a squad of standard bikers (with some purity seals from the attack bike set of course) and they really do not look too out of place to be honest. I concur with the others; I feel like the white scar lance weapon thing (a halbard? the grey knights have them too) directly connected to the shoulder or arm, or even to the front of the bike itself would be a great conversion. maybe give them old techmarine backpacks, with the mechanical arms holding lances like a scorpion.

Aha!! I'll steal some halberds from that Grey Knight squad I dont use, that along with the bits I ordered last night (Iron Hands heads, pads, Templar Crusader Sprue and Ravenwing Sword arm) AND that spare dreadnought sized base I've got.. the possiblities are endless.. thanks for the ideas!!

Archived