Chaplain

Ok, I've always envisioned Chaplains as bordering on the psychotic, and I wanted to represent this by having my chaplain wield two close combat weapons, one being the crozius. In game terms it just counts as bolt pistol and cc wepaon (the mini has a holster, so shouldnt matter), but I need to really convey brutality, that you really dont want to be captured by this chaplain!

Picture found here

I went for the axe because it looks scary, but I'm also toying with the idea of using twin crozius arcanums, in a similar pose. Generally, Id clean up the weapon, use imperial marine fists (the berzerker ones are noticibly bigger), and probably green stuff some chains, and hanging skulls. As you can see its just a mock up, but I'd like some thoughts before I press on, as I've never really done much converting, besides weapon swaps.

BL

If I were you I would reposition the axe a bit so it looked more like he has just slashed an oponent, so if you put the axe pointing down and out it would look like he was doing a double-swing. Why using a Khorne chainaxe? It's an Dark Angel chaplain with a Chaos axe, I would prefer the axe from the Assault Squad box instead.

Just after some suggestions Bloodthirster. e'g. how it looks, any comments etc...the usual.

Night-stalker:Granted, it looks just like a chaos axe now, that's because it is :( . However, after I've worked out the pose, and gotten some more ideas from this good board, I'd get rid of the chaos related icons. Might get rid of the axe altogether for the double crozius look for twice the smite. Normal power axes just dont look dangerous enough for me, and remember the Dark Angels are the first legion, so archaic equipment fits right in. Still need some pose suggestions though. Sentence for stimulation: Imagine the Chaplain is chanting, and after every line, he takes down an opponent, then recites another line...how would that look in regards to pose?

BL

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, though't I'd help myself, in order to get some feedback from the board. Well, to that end, here is an update. Had a burst of creative energy last night, and was up until 2am working on my Chaplain. I managed to come up with a suitable back-pack using a chaos one, and two skulls, then I tackled the arm. I had several problems with the Khorne axe, but I think I've resolved the axe isses by cutting off the axe head, and the giant sized berzerker fist. I then cut off an assault space marine fist, and snipped off the chainsword (which left a nice hilt with a skull at the bottom). This is where it all got new for me. Snipping a piece of wire from a paper clip, I drilled holes in the fist and the axe head, and pinned the two together, like so:

[url="http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i149/Chaplain_Uzziel/?action=view

I think your chappie looks plenty dangerous as-is. Just slap on a couple purity seals & call it "ritually purified." There is some precedent for using captured (non-Daemonic) Chaos weapons, and I think a half-crazed DA Chaplain might enjoy the irony of capturing & purifying a Fallen's weapon to use against them.

I think you should reposition the arm, deffinately. I don't think anyone would fight like that. ;)

I think there is an inherent problem with the pose of the figure, as it looks like he is leading a squad into battle, not ripping apart enemies.

However, since it sounds like you are absoloutely set on using this model with the chain axe, I would suggest posing the model so that the axe is swinging laterally across his body, with the axe head perpendicular to the chappie's body.

If you do not absoloutely want to use the axe, but want something suitably vicious, how about have the chaplain holding a bloody head, or make his fist bloody.

Just my thoughts.

I don't seem to have explained myself too well. The opening post links to a mock up pic. The issue of the pose has been covered. I'm not going with the 'put your hands up in the air' look. However, before I can get a pic of how it would look (got a fairly downward swing arm worked out), I need to get the axe itself finished. In order to do that, I need to know how to go about using green-stuff, to finish the axe shaft. So if anyone knows how, or where to look, please share?

Noxi & Follio: Cheers for the replies anyway!

Foolio: Purity seals will be added now. I'd cleaned off the chaos arrows as seen in my last post, put nothing wrong with a few more indications that the weapon is pure. Could indeed try a long purity seal that wraps its way around the axe shaft....

Noxi: Yes I am set on the axe (did consider 2 crozius, but thats fallen away). Your suggestions are valid, and I'm seen them work. Personally though, I'm not keen on such poses, as I find that minis with enemies modelled on, even if its just a head, look a little daft when they come up against a different enemy.

BL

Archived