Magnets- Good, Bad or Ugly?

Hi,

I've seen lots of people using rare earth magnets to allow arms and weapons to be changed back and forth and had a couple of quick questions.....

I did a bit of research and found that they can interfere with electrical items and stuff like credit cards or CDs. Has anyone had any experince with this? Also can you put magnetic models on top of PCs (as many gamers often do) and places like that?

Also what how do the magnets react to a layer of paint (basecoat for example)?

Cheers

I've never had a proble with it affecting the paint. It's not magnetic soooooooooo.......ya. As for the computer, credit card situation it can bugger things up, some dispute this others confirm it. Just to play it safe it's worth avoiding putting your figs with magnets on your computator.

Depending on what models you have magnets can be a life saver. With characters (especially chaos) it's awesome because you can mix it up and keep it real :P . It can be a tad pricey (not bad though) so if you just want to give it a whirl, try borrowing some before buying.

Hope his helped and have fun!

One problem might be that you cannot bring the army with you if you want to travel with an airliner.

The x-ray machine at an airport cant scan the magnets properly sp they can let them through the security net.

A friend had bougt a bag of magnetos but couldnt transport them on the airplane due to that the x-ray machine couldnt scan them.

I've never had any real problems with rare-earth magnets. That said, I'm very careful to keep them well away from my computer and anything else electronic. Thus far I've used them to make interchangable arms for my terminators.

The only annoyance I've had is that the magnets are, for lack of a better word, jumpy. It can get a little annoying when the magnet you're preparing leaps back to join it's friends, or flies a couple of inches over to your pin-vice, etc. On the other hand, if you drop one in the carpet, all you have to do is wave something metal around and it'll pop back up. :(

ok wow i can actualy use my class to help you here...as for loosing data...i dont know about Cedit Cards but it will do nothing to a CD....CDs are designed to use an optical form of data....so magnets cant do squat to them....as for floppies, hard drives and most other parts of the comp...keep them away...if you want to loose your hard drive try takeing one of those things and wiping it around near your tower....A comp monitor can have some major changes in the color because of the magnets...come on, as a kid havnt you taken a magnet to a tv? all the color moves twords the magnet....i dont know the proces that happens but basicly the magnet causes problems with some of the colors....i havnt actualy tried it on models but there looks to be a lot of pros and cons

I don't put my figures with magnets near my computer. My wife does not like it when I break my armies anyway.

I use them for termie arm swaps and for backpacks on assault marines.

My brother put some into a Carnifex and it can change biomorhs like a "Mr. Potatoehead."

i use rare earth magnets all the time and have not had an incident with them however they can cause serious damage to magnetic storage devices such as hard disks as mentioned above..

I had this college class and I took sopious notes, kept them all on my flash drive and one day i was installing new 6x9's (speakers) into my friends ride.. and when i went to class all my notes were gone!!! For an open note test tooo!!!!

the magnet on a speaker is substantially larger than a rare earth magnet, but just as a sprecaution don't let them anywhere near.. i've lost all the pictures on my digi before.. and i keep them right next to my mouse and everything but never ever ever near my computer!!!!!

all that said, dude get some! they're awesome!

I think magnets are a neat idea. I might implement them if/when I get enough money to start my "loyalist" Night Lords army. Would work great for Zho Sahaal. I could just switch out his talons for the Mordax Tenebrae bolter.

I havent had any problems using rare earth magnets (modelling or other) although i do keep them far away from any major electrical products etc (other than the lamp) :huh:.

Ive used them on my Grey Hunters for my Wolves to give me alot more squad options rather than having to make up an additional 5 models to cover further options and its helped me create some of the conversion guides for the SoB that are now held in a particular B&C Thread.

So yeah, if you can get your hands on them (a tad bit pricey, but not as bad as some folks think) you will love them to death.

I used rare earth magnets to completely magnetize my dread. It breaks up into 3 parts (base+feet, legs, torso) and all arms are magnetized as well. I did this because it's easier to transport like that and swappable arms have obvious use :huh:

Take care not to use too small ones for the sturdier work (once assembled, my dread used to topple off its feet because the magnets were too small... fixed now)

Archived