Nightstalker Veteran Sergeant

It's pretty good, but it seems to be lacking definition. Try applying a Black Ink wash, but use a paper towel to soak up the ink on the outer area. I find this really adds depth to the models.

And just because there haven't been any comments doesn't mean it's bad... It could be so good that nobody could think of a way to make it better, ne?

I would just add black ink to the reccesses of the model to make the model more defined. I would also add a solid layer of whatever the final colour of the tabard is as well, right now it looks drybrushed on. I'd also paint in the eyes if you can, maybe a red or a green or something of the sort.

I reckon that looks pretty good.

I'd add some text to the loin cloth and put chapter markings on him.

But part from that he looks good.

I'm not sure how well the black ink would work. I'd personally give the whole thing a wash of blue ink (Do ther still make it?), instead of black. That'd add some shading and it'd bring out the blue armour really well.

They still make blue ink, used it alot on the model.

For the chaptermark thing, Nightstalker is my own founded chapter so they doesnt have any chapter mark. And since I'm not good at freehanding I don't think they will have any :ph34r:

No chapter insignia at all? Rubbish. You don't have to freehand to give them a chapter insignia... Just grab Ye Olde Transfer Sheet and the problem is solved. Every other Marine chapter uses skulls somehow... maybe you could mix it with the wings off of the Blood Angels or Dark Angels insignia. Lightning bolts are also nice.

My point is, give them something.

i believe thats a world eater berzerker head without the bunny ears.

For the shading you might try an orange ink (do they make orange ink?)

followed by a blue highlight then watered down blue ink.

I used a similar principle for a khorne Lt. i did a short while ago and it worked great, the use of complementary colors gives it tons of depth.

My experience of transfersheets arent that great. And freehanding is no option. Whats left then?

I will be the first to say that I have a long way to go to become a good painter. However, I think I have the "Deacls on Shulderpads" down.

http://webpages.charter.net/thestroh/PICS/closedecal.JPG

Highlighting needs asside, this is the best pic I have of my Decals. I know that this is not much far away from TableTopQuality (above or below, the chouce is yours) But I am Proud of how well the decal blends into the model

[Technique used for 5 marines; already painted] apply a layer of "Americana Matte Varnish"[liquid/brush on varnish medium]. While Varnish is still tacky, apply decal as per normal decal application techniques. Move on to next Marine. After all Marines are decalled, step out side for a smoke(IE, wait about 4 minutes), Apply Varnish to decal in same way as the rest of the model.

I dont know why it works. Those with more skill than me will probably say it dont work. But I like the result.

One thing in this hobby that is easy to get a hang off are the transfers :huh: Check out a few tutorials with some pictures of it being done and have a go yourself. White Dwarf often has loads in as do both the painting guides (Space Marine and Citadel Miniatures).

If you want to improve your painting I recommend you move onto using washes and inks to provide shading and then move onto highlighting.

Oh and the pose is well done too. Looks very natural which is good if you are just starting out. Not a bad model for begining.

Something that I think will really help is an extra basic highlight on that helm; just add a little white to your blue then apply a thin line to the brow, the top ridge and the either side of the vertical groove in the helmet. That would be both simple and effective imo.

only one question, wear did you get that head? from what set ?

Its true that it is a Khorne head without the ears, found it in my bitbox and thought - what the heck - and I think it work rather well, a little more evil look over it but the guy is mean :blink:

Something that I think will really help is an extra basic highlight on that helm; just add a little white to your blue then apply a thin line to the brow, the top ridge and the either side of the vertical groove in the helmet. That would be both simple and effective imo.

I will try that on some of my regular bolterdudes, dont want to spoil the serg. Thanks for the tips ;)

Archived