Need a GS tutorial

Well, a while ago I made a thread about whether or not I should convert the Inquisitor Typhus model into a DP, and Ive decided to go for it. So far, Ive filed off all the Imperial iconography, but in doing so I ran into a little problem. In order for me to file off the iconography on Tyrus's shoulderpads, I had to remove the banding around them. I filed the pads, and now theyre both completely smooth, but now they look too bland, so I have to re-sculpt the banding :P Its no big deal really, as Im going to have to do it on the rest of the model anyway. The problem is I dont have any idea on how to go about doing it ;) Ive never tried to sculpt banding before, so I need a bit of help. If any of you could point me in the direction of a tutorial, I would really appreciate it ^_^ Any general tips about sculpting banding would be welcome aswell!

-Kaldoth

the secret to getting smooth geometric GS shapes is time and water...

get your GS down in lines where you want the banding. get it into the shape you want it by using a well watered smooth tool.

then leave it - the GS will start to cure making it a liitle easier to smooth/work with.Id say about an hour - basically it youd be safe once its lost its 'stickyness'

now smooth and shape until you get it how you want. concentrate on getting the sides flat and 'sharp'.

leave it again for about a day. You should be able to file down the top of the banding now - which is why getting the sides right was imortant on the last step.

hope his helps and makes snse :P

EE

when im sculpting things like banding i prefer to roll my GS into a cylinder 'sausage' shape which i cut lengths from

then i take a sharp knife and put GS where i want it to go - and start to flatten it with my knife ( which has been dipped into some water )

I force the inner side ( piece on the inside of the pad ) with the knife edge so that it is a harp edge

I prefer to do all of this in one go over waiting for GS to dry - just so i can retouch any areas with the same GS

thanks,

L

LT L: Thanks for that! I think Im going to try both methods and see which ones work best :)

Schoon: Ive been registered here for more than two years mate. I think Ive read every one of those tutorials at least twice :P Thanks anyway though!

Nihm: Awesome link mate :) Thanks!

-Kaldoth

It's a wee bit late now, but what I did with my Witch Hunter DP conversion instead of filing the shoulderpads smooth was fill in the grooves with GS; that way the bands were still there with the studs but the fleur de lys were eradicated...

Oh well. Live and learn, eh?

And Exquisite Evil's technique is easier. I've tried both the techniques suggested on my Chaos Terminators, and you can actually (if you have a steady hand) cut the tops of the GS bands smooth and then file away any rough edges. You have to be somewhat careful with any GS you place on a flat surface, however; you CAN knock it right off - but you can also glue it back on if you're working with it after it hardens, so no big deal.

I actually have a funny story about how I got my Witch Hunter Tyrus model... I was in the Navy at the time, and the day that it came in I wasn't working. When I come in the next day, the guy in charge of my shop shoves the box at me and says, "This is yours." I look at it and it's been very carefully slit open -

Turns out, because it had been shipped to me from Canada, they thought it might be a bomb! :) :) Boy, weren't they confused by what was inside....

Another option is a thin strip of plasticard... worked wonder for me, and it managed to curver aroung a leg, so a shoulder would be gradual enough of a curve.

(sorry if this has been mentioned, just skimmed the other posts)

Archived