Wolf Guard Battle leader

As I have finally given Greenstuff ago, I thought what better place to start a new model and thats my Wolf Guard Battle Leader.

After finding one of my Terminators that I like, I gave him a good scab down to strip all the existing paint, the pulled off the arms and head. Ive taken one of the Space Wolves heads and placed it into position, added a wolf pelt cut from a power armour torso and I was ready to go.

Now bare in mind that this is my second go at using greenstuff, so my skills are very low, So I've kept it simple as possible with out adding to much 'noise' (I once read that less can look more).

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/Icehornet/hadwin_face_front.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/Icehornet/hadwin_face_close.jpg

As you can see, I blended the beard into the existing sideburns. Once that had set some what, I them made a thin sausage of GS then added the moustache then slightly bleaded it into the beard. (not to much as I wanted it to look seperate, but not siting above the beard, if you follow me)

Again, this is the as clear as I can get with my Cam, so I'm sorry if the pic's looks somewhat "blurry".

Any way, what do you think so far? With your leave, I like to continue showing you my progress and see how "he that is yet to be named" developes.

For me (and I'm not a fan of space wolves) looks good, well you can add other sw icons around is armor especially the wolfskull that's is cool and why not a wolf eehm.. "skin"? on his back or attached under one of his shoulder pads (obviusly when you put the arms on the model ;) )

Here's some of the details that I have added. The Wolf Pelt on the Arm and leg, New frost blade and bits.

Now the idea I had at the time, was instead of the wolf pelt draping all over the armour, I was going for a "cut down version" that was only attached to the shoulder Pad. The side short sucks because you lose all the detail of the fur and it kept focusing on the frost Blade (My cam wont allow me to turn off its auto-focus) but I included it anyway to show you the result.

The white object you can see on his right side is a wolf tooth necklace. I just cut way the old "lace" and replaced it with GS

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/Icehornet/hadwin_arm_front.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/Icehornet/hadwin_arm_side.jpg

Well what do you think so far now?

I've added the base that was in my Wife's collection and added some Braided hair, which in the Pic looks a little flat.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/Icehornet/hadwin_front.jpg

Once the Greeenstuff has 24 hours to set, It will be time to get my hands dirty with painting.

Well thats it. My first offical Greenstuff model. If you havent given Greenstuff a try, then go and try it. Its well worth it!!

All I need to find out now is what colours my wifes going to paint her new Imperial guard :D

I love your GS work. It looks really detailed and I'm very impressed as I've just started trying to use the stuff too. Mine however, would look better if I gave my miniatures to my free year old soon and some playdo.

I'd appreciate some details on how you did the hair if you could. I klnow how to do long hair and dreadlocks but short straight up hair like that I'm not. Thanks.

When I GS'd my Wolf Lord in termie's braided hair I did it the exact same way. I also thought it was too flat and removed it. Not sure how you should fix. I ultimatley used a top knotted plastic hair piece from another model.

Great job on your first try! Keep experimenting to learn how it acts at different stages of curing and which techniques work better at different times. Most new sculptors will be amazed how much easier it is to work with Greenstuff at the right time. If you are only working on one figure at a time, then when you're done with your GS work, take the excess of what you mixed up and practice on a spare model or sprue or cup or anything ;)

I'd appreciate some details on how you did the hair if you could.

Emm... Easy to do, Hard to explain.

Basicaly I used my hobby knife to from small grooves and ridges as close as I could to the original fur (in fact the legs were a good guide and aided me greatly). I started from the existing fur and working my way to the top. I then repeated this about an hour later (allowing the GS to set and not destroy the work I had just done).

I know that not the best help, But I sort of just went with it. I really didnt take much note on how I did it. ;)

Anyone that can explain better then I have, feel free to add comments or links.

You stole a base from your wife? Clobbering time ;)

The wolfguard looks positively beefy and purposeful. Or is he just feeling the urge of many canines to sniff the rump of other animals, espessially when one is so prominently offered up :lol: But in all seriousness, I really like the pose, and the places you've added fur really accentuates the Space Wolf look. A little battledamage to the veteran might be cool, like one bullet pock mark somewhere or similar.

Cheers

Or is he just feeling the urge of many canines to sniff the rump of other animals, espessially when one is so prominently offered up
Great! If my Wife see that, I'm done for no matter how tough he may look!!

Great job on your first try! Keep experimenting to learn how it acts at different stages of curing and which techniques work better at different times.

One thing I was quick to learn was: Take your time. If you try and do everything at once, things can get messy and you could damage what you have already done!

I might suggest scraping those leaf-thingies off the chest icon (They just don't seem Space Wolf-ish) and maybe use some GS to convert the human skull into a wolf skull.

Otherwise, you got one badass piece.

Archived