practice?

do you ever practice at painting? i dont mean try out a new sceme but sit down with models and paint one technique over and over?

i recently started trying to do nmm and my first few atempts sucked TBH but after about a week of practicing nothing but nmm ive seen a noticible diference any one else done/seen this?

p.s il post pics of my before and after soon :P

On occasion, When I am going to paint a marble effect, I test it on a large flat surface first.

I also tend to sketch out my conversions before I start them.

-Legacy40k

I practice on lord of the rings figures. More I don't want to screw up my Blood Angels so I like them far more. I'll occassionaly buy a random single figure to test a new painting technique, working with new colours or just for a bit of change. It's helped me and helps give a brake from painting red again and again :)

I keep a handful of primed Marines specifically for this but not quite how you're describing, Sarabando. Mostly I will try something out before I do it on my real mini so I know how it's going to look. If it doesn't work out I'll try a few a different ways until it comes out good enough. I'm not that big into painting so it's more of finding a way that looks decent than perfecting techniques.

Even if other people don't ... do what works for you, if you've found improvement and it makes you happy then keep it up!!

I paint and practice at the same time. If it goes wrong, I repaint, so that's practice enough. Some techniques, like NMM, isn't so much about practice, as it is about REALISATION of how reflections work. Othervise, NMM is just blending colors. NMM and freehand is probably the hardest stuff to do tho.

This is my one and only attempt at SENMM thus far, named Chromedog(betcha there's some rapper with the same name). I think I painted him like 3 years ago(time really flies)... Hardly perfect, and full of flaws. I only know a few people, like Boltman who make SENMM look really "realistic". ;)

http://usera.imagecave.com/kronork/IronWarriors/chromedog.jpg

Cheers

Archived