Need help with layering

I'm trying to paint using layers, and when I go to paint another layer on top, the strokes of the brush are too apparent. Is this a problem with thickness of the paint or a painting style? If I do water down the paint, how to I avoid getting the paint where I do not want it to go?

Thanks for the help,

Forrix

Generally, you get brush strokes from too thick of paint. I suggest either getting a pallet or something else that you can put a little bit of paint on and add water as needed so that you don't water it down too much. Also what helps is to find some Future Floor Wax and add that to the paint.. it will keep them from drying out for one and will also water them down accordingly.

when you are painting.. I suggest using the dry brush method in order to get that blending look and paint towards the part that is going to be that same solid color.

Hope that helps.

Many people say that a good consistency, is milk-like, and if you've done it right the shades between layers should be similar to the point that you can't really tell the difference, so if a bit slips it not really a big deal. When you see the finished thing with all the different shades in place the effect should look good and you can tidy up any slip ups here.

On a related note, the problem may be in your brush, but I'm no expert so don't ask me... :)

There could be a number of reasons for visible brush strokes.

1. Your paint may be too thick. I don't like my paint to "run like milk", I find that way too thin; I like it to be more like thickened cream. Not runny like milk, but not thick like honey, if that made sense. The effects of paint that's too thick is most apparent on large surfaces, I find.

2. Your paint may be drying a bit too much while on the brush. Try investing in some paint retarder that slows the drying process, and make sure you have little air movement around your painting area. Low temperatures will also slow the drying down while you paint.

3. Your previous layers might not be completely dry. Even if it looks dry, I find that sometimes acrylic paints can reach a state where they're mostly dry, but adding any moisture will make it smudge very easily. This usually results in fairly large blotches. If you find this happening, you'll need to go back to your previous layer and make sure it's completely dry before moving on.

4. You may be using the wrong sized brush. If your brush is too small, it will tend to be a bit streaky.

5. The current layer may be too different to the previous layer. I find when you layer paint, especially with GW paints, you need to make sure they're only a few shades different from the previous layer. For example, trying to layer from Chaos Black straight to Ultramarine Blue won't yield perfect results; there will probably be a large amount of brush strokes and blotches. However, if you made a mix of 75:25 Black and Blue respectively, then 50:50, 25:75 and then finally pure blue, the result would be much better. Other paint brands, like Vallejo, that have a high pigment count don't have to worry quite as much about this.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Perhaps it will be of some use to you B)

5. The current layer may be too different to the previous layer. I find when you layer paint, especially with GW paints, you need to make sure they're only a few shades different from the previous layer. For example, trying to layer from Chaos Black straight to Ultramarine Blue won't yield perfect results; there will probably be a large amount of brush strokes and blotches. However, if you made a mix of 75:25 Black and Blue respectively, then 50:50, 25:75 and then finally pure blue, the result would be much better. Other paint brands, like Vallejo, that have a high pigment count don't have to worry quite as much about this.

Besides, watering down your paints properly this pretty much sums it up. -. - Prime example is to paint on a flat surface three times, once with craft paint, then with GW and finally with vallejo. You'll see what I mean. Once you're able to water down your paints properly, everything else comes naturally. You won't have to coat as many times, you won't have bumpy surfaces and most importantly you won't have to press the bristles into the model! Which equals imediate brush strokes.

Don't even remind me of when I first started painting 40k and used Americana craft paints. F :rolleyes: K.

For painting consistency of paint: If you have a brand new pot of an average GW paint then you will need one drop of water for one drop of paint to provide a basic thinned and useable paint. Inceasing it to two drops of water for each drop of paint will be even better.

And when you absorb paint from the palette then take your brush anddraw it through the paint as if you are painting on the palette and twirl the brush a bit. That way the brush will absorb paint on all sides equally. Then take your brush and draw it just a bit over a tissue, again like you are drawing on it, to remove excess paint from your brush. That will leave enogh paint in your brush for painting but remove the part of paint that causes the flooding of areas when you paint. The contact to the tissue should be very fast. Just draw it so that you nearly don't toouch the tissue. Experiment a bit and you should find some way that works for you.

Use a palette for mixing of paint, and if a wet palette is good for keeling the paint wet so you don't have to mix big puddles of paint. Use a size 2 brush for basicpainting and anything non-details. even the first payers of highlighting can be done that. You should need the fine detail brush (size 00000 or 5/0 or however they are called) only for final highlights and little details. Always use the biggest brush that is still useful for your miniature. It can hold more paint. Because of that the paint won't just dry in your brush while you are moving the brush from the palette to your miniature. A highquality size 2 brush is your best friend for anything.

As you want to layer your paint you need to wait until the last layer is completely dry or you will create holes in your old layer where you draw your brush through still wet paint.

Here are a few links to CMON articles about wet palettes:

http://coolminiornot.com/article/aid/116

http://coolminiornot.com/article/aid/198

http://coolminiornot.com/article/aid/324

Archived