Teh bestor color scheme =P

OKay...I'm doing Space Wolves for the Aod: SH and I was wondering what is the best color scheme for the pups out of all.

The color schemes:

- Space Wolves grey w/ Yellow pads

- Codex Grey all round

- Codex Grey w/ black pads

- Codex Grey w/ Red pads (13th comp IIRC)

- Codex Grey w/ Yellow pads

PH34R

Edit: Added the other color scheme Vtraxx said. B)

Please, for the love of God, do NOT do Space Wolves Grey as a basecoat color. It's a very light bluish grey tone that is just a step under white. If you're going to go that route, use Shadow Grey, and blend/highlight with Space Wolves Grey.

As a matter of personal preference, I like Codex Grey. Fortress Grey highlights finish off the armor and the effect is both simple and stunning. The accent color is really up to you, although I love using Golden Yellow. Browns, Golds, Blacks and Whites are also good.

Wolf Lord

Space Wolf Kill Team

These two are examples of the crisp highlighting. The Wolf Lord had a wash of Brown Ink over the initial Codex Grey basecoat to rust/dirty it up.

Sternhammer

The Sternhammer is an example of blended armor, blending up to Fortress Grey and a bit of Skull White. I personally prefer the first approach, although it is up to you.

DV8

I agree with DV8 on the SW grey. I toyed with a few schemes before settling on one. Here's a couple of pics, first is shadow grey highlighted to SW grey and the other is codex grey to fortress.

I like Vtraxx' suggestion on the yellow pads but remember they don't both have to match, you can do one yellow one black or one red one black

I'm currently working on a WG in TDA who will be a much darker grey(VMC german grey with black and yellow shoulder pads)

If you want more references go here SW forum painting sticky

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/brother_marcus/wolfguardbcpost.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/brother_marcus/grey.jpg

I chose the scheme in Marcus' second pic, except with black shoulderpad rims and yellow pads. SW Grey is much too bright and happy (I made that mistake with my first SW army).

If you want something grey try 'German Grey' from Vallejo Model Colour. I am not sure if it was called exactly like that. It should be a rather neutral grey (not so cold and blue like Shadow Grey) like Codex grey, just darker. It's a nice contrast to any yellow, white or red marking your Space Wolves have. And it gives your Space Wolves a darker look and fits with the whole 40k gothic and evil idea.

Ahem. Gentlemen.

Codex Grey scheme is 13th Company/pre-Heresy. Therefore, one does not use it - one finds some way of making the bluish grey scheme look more interesting. Here's my suggestion.

White primer - Shadow Grey basecoat - 50/50 mix Shadow Grey/Space Wolf Grey highlight - Space Wolf Grey extreme highlight.

Please, for the love of God, do NOT do Space Wolves Grey as a basecoat color. It's a very light bluish grey tone that is just a step under white. If you're going to go that route, use Shadow Grey, and blend/highlight with Space Wolves Grey.

As a matter of personal preference, I like Codex Grey. Fortress Grey highlights finish off the armor and the effect is both simple and stunning. The accent color is really up to you, although I love using Golden Yellow. Browns, Golds, Blacks and Whites are also good.

Wolf Lord

Space Wolf Kill Team

These two are examples of the crisp highlighting. The Wolf Lord had a wash of Brown Ink over the initial Codex Grey basecoat to rust/dirty it up.

Sternhammer

The Sternhammer is an example of blended armor, blending up to Fortress Grey and a bit of Skull White. I personally prefer the first approach, although it is up to you.

DV8

That KT and Lord are your work mate? Brilliant, Ive been wondering how they were painted for ages. Is it just a single tone edge-highlight?

Yes, they are single-edge highlighting. Codex Grey, with a single, crisp Fortress Grey highlight.

Also, while Codex Grey was the pre-heresy scheme, and the scheme of the 13th Company, there is literally no reason why the Space Wolves would've changed their color scheme. In fact, the only reason they look different is because GW painted them that way.

Take a look at the Ultramarines. Or the Blood Angels. Imperial Fists; Ravenguard; Salamanders. Etc. There's a whole slew of First Founding chapters who have kept their pre-heresy iconography/heraldry. And there is no reason why the Space Wolves shouldn't/can't as well. Of course, if you prefer Shadow Grey, then by all means use it. But if you want Codex Grey, there is nothing stopping you from doing so.

Sorry if that came off a little...angrier...than usual. I'm merely observing a fact.

DV8

Archived