Where do I attach this part on the scout kit?

http://www.tvxc.org/minis/pack.jpg

Any ideas where to attach this part guys? There's no flat section big enough to put this on a scout torso, unless I shave the rectangular techno gubbins off the back. Is that what everyone else does?

Here's a WIP...

http://www.tvxc.org/minis/scouts.jpg

For your information, the ground slate out of the Urban basing kit is an absolute pig to work with! Also, the pipes are going to be painted Vallejo Copper (yum)

It looks like Lara Crofts backpack (you know the one you pick up in the start of the 4th game)... :D

Just put it on the back, shave the 'tecno gubbins' off, as you won't be able to see them anyway :)

The urban basing is nice but maybe the broken pipes are a bit repetitive at the moment, since all the bases have one... Try removing one or two, maybe adding different parts, or just changing the angle at which they are positioned, since that is also the same on all of the bases.

The urban basing is nice but maybe the broken pipes are a bit repetitive at the moment, since all the bases have one...

Try removing one or two, maybe adding different parts,

I'll stop you there. As I have more than one box of scouts, and I'm doing them in batches of five, it makes more sense for me to do all the 'pipe' scouts together. When I field my complete list, I'm going to mix & match between the various detrius available, as scouts don't have to have squad markings.

... or just changing the angle at which they are positioned, since that is also the same on all of the bases.

That's just a product of the picture. They are at different angles, and different positions on the base (well, as different as a 25mm base will allow). There's also a larger bore one on one of the scouts

It looks like Lara Crofts backpack (you know the one you pick up in the start of the 4th game)... :)

Just put it on the back, shave the 'tecno gubbins' off, as you won't be able to see them anyway ;)

I agree with Q. I think it's for the heavy bolter scout to be honest it looks like an ammo store.

those 2 bits on the top are sprue so they can come off i put min one of the back of a scout the other at the waist of my HB guy

Done, thanks ;)

if you look at the metal scout model with heavy bolter its a side pack attached to his hip rather than back, and it houses the extra heavy bolter clip, i have no size reference though but im pretty sure thats what it is

also i never understood bodies and certain parts of a battelfield placed on bases..why? its just not an inviting idea...its not like the body goes everywhere they do, why is it there? did they JUST kill him and step on him like they dont realise its there? or what?...and i think the same thing goes for those pipes, like others have said its too much, i mean honestly how many pipes are going to be broken and sticking up form the ground in a certain area?

its like sticking body on every base...its nice for maybe one or two, or at least spread out throughout the army but for a single unit, is too much

Starks

...also i never understood bodies and certain parts of a battelfield placed on bases..why? its just not an inviting idea...its not like the body goes everywhere they do, why is it there? did they JUST kill him and step on him like they dont realise its there? or what?...and i think the same thing goes for those pipes, like others have said its too much, i mean honestly how many pipes are going to be broken and sticking up form the ground in a certain area?

its like sticking body on every base...its nice for maybe one or two, or at least spread out throughout the army but for a single unit, is too much

Starks

Errr... yeah, again, I repeat...

The urban basing is nice but maybe the broken pipes are a bit repetitive at the moment, since all the bases have one...

Try removing one or two, maybe adding different parts,

I'll stop you there. As I have more than one box of scouts, and I'm doing them in batches of five, it makes more sense for me to do all the 'pipe' scouts together. When I field my complete list, I'm going to mix & match between the various detrius available, as scouts don't have to have squad markings.

If you read the above posts, it makes it entirely apparant why there is a pipe on every base. I'm not so artistically gorm I think having them on every base in an army is a good idea!

And as to placing scenery/bodies etc on bases in general principle, I think that just comes down to personal taste. Using your logic, why use anything beyond sand? After all, why would that random bit of rock follow anyone round? Get my logic?

***ahhh i just re-read that, read it the wrong way the first time, i see what you mean, thats fine

If you read the above posts, it makes it entirely apparant why there is a pipe on every base. I'm not so artistically gorm I think having them on every base in an army is a good idea!

And as to placing scenery/bodies etc on bases in general principle, I think that just comes down to personal taste. Using your logic, why use anything beyond sand? After all, why would that random bit of rock follow anyone round? Get my logic?

***now you are exagerating my point, but whatever, it is an opinion i suppose(and to further clarify, my point was bodies and other rare objects, great for an action model or scenic model, but not as good for army models with no direct action/etc with the piece

but i guess i am a more artistic person so i require all those things good art requires...

Starks

Well, not being omniscient, I wasn't about to know that, so now that you've explained that issue, that's fine.

I would still say that perhaps some pipes could do with being repositioned, perhaps being placed laying down, as it might makes things more interesting, but again, that is up to you and since the scouts are not being based together, should be a very very minor issue that is up to your personal taste.

How many scout units do you have?

***ahhh i just re-read that, read it the wrong way the first time, i see what you mean, thats fine

***now you are exagerating my point, but whatever, it is an opinion i suppose(and to further clarify, my point was bodies and other rare objects, great for an action model or scenic model, but not as good for army models with no direct action/etc with the piece

but i guess i am a more artistic person so i require all those things good art requires...

Starks

Sorry if that come off snarky. It wasn't meant to. As to exagerating your point, that was my intention. Quite often if you extend a line of thinking, sometimes to it's very extreme, you can pick holes in it (even if they're not there :D ).

I'm actually inclined to agree with you, up unto a point, about scenic basing. I think your spot on when it comes to bodies & gore. That's the reason why I'm rebasing my Xeno force, as it's got too much blood & other body bits on the bases (less is more people). I just think that you can get away with inanimate objects. It's very hard to do CoD basing without resorting to using some gubbins like pipes, techno junk, etc. It's also very hard to do Space Hulk basing, without the fixtures following the Terminators round, if you get my drift.

Oh, and I've thought of a justification for the number of pipes (although if you have to justify something aesthetic, it probably means it's just a bad idea :( ). The scouts have infiltrated a ruined sewage works. Or I could just spread the guys out between my squads ;)

Well, not being omniscient, I wasn't about to know that, so now that you've explained that issue, that's fine.

I would still say that perhaps some pipes could do with being repositioned, perhaps being placed laying down, as it might makes things more interesting, but again, that is up to you and since the scouts are not being based together, should be a very very minor issue that is up to your personal taste.

How many scout units do you have?

No, that's cool. I know your not omniscient. I just wanted to explain why my scouts are quite so 'pipetastic', quickly, as without explanation they did look quite dumb.

To be quite honest, I would reposition some of the pipes, but doing such short lengths on a 25mm base looked a bit silly, hence the pipe's sticking out of the ground idea. There is going to be some more variation after painting. Some are going to have tinted water effect in them, some are going to have scorch marks, one's going to have glowing edges (like it's been sliced by a power sword), all are going to have verdigris.

# of units? 3 units of scouts with bolters, 2 units with sniper rifles (long term).

Sorry if that come off snarky. It wasn't meant to. As to exagerating your point, that was my intention. Quite often if you extend a line of thinking, sometimes to it's very extreme, you can pick holes in it (even if they're not there :wub: ).

I'm actually inclined to agree with you, up unto a point, about scenic basing. I think your spot on when it comes to bodies & gore. That's the reason why I'm rebasing my Xeno force, as it's got too much blood & other body bits on the bases (less is more people). I just think that you can get away with inanimate objects. It's very hard to do CoD basing without resorting to using some gubbins like pipes, techno junk, etc. It's also very hard to do Space Hulk basing, without the fixtures following the Terminators round, if you get my drift.

Oh, and I've thought of a justification for the number of pipes (although if you have to justify something aesthetic, it probably means it's just a bad idea ;) ). The scouts have infiltrated a ruined sewage works. Or I could just spread the guys out between my squads ;)

Oh, just paint 'em green, paint the sgt with a red top and blue dungarees, give him a spanner as a CCW, call him Mario Marius and be done with the whole thing :)

Archived