POLL: What primer do you use, and why?

Hi everyone!

I thought it might be interesting to see what primers we use for our models, and why we make that choice. I suggest the following format-

Colour :

Type : Spray/Hand/Air brush

Brand:

Reasons:

I'm hoping that we get an idea of what the best method of priming/brand of primer is, and hopefully some money saving ideas. This isn't meant to be a 'is black or white primer better' thread, as that's been done ad nauseum. Anyway, some people use grey or even clear primers :D

I'll start the thread...

LupoLoopy

Colour: Grey Primer, followed by a Black Base

Type: Spray (aerosol)

Brand: Halford Automobile Grey Primer, Citadel Colour Chaos Black Base spray

Reason d'etre: I use the Halfords Primer for the first coat because being a true primer, it binds to the surface a lot better than the GW paint spray, thus I get more bang for my buck (more coverage of less spray - also it's cheaper by volume). Unfortunately GW acrylics dont take to this primer fantastically well (they go on, but rub off quite easy), plus I can't work off a grey primer! This leads to me using the GW Chaos Black spray, which I need much less of when used on top of my grey primer, giving me a decent, tough base to work off of.

C.Trask

Colour: Black Primer / White Primer

Type: Spray (aerosol)

Brand: Citadel Colour.

Currently using both types of primer because it depoends on what colours im wishing to paint. Tho i am leaning towards the metallic primer. sounds like a good investment. Tho how does it fare on plastics?

• Colour : I use White butI don't mind to paint over miniatures that other people have primed in anyother colour
  • Type : Spray; and I would like to try air brush primer (no spra cans =less waste and I don'thave to shake that damn thing for two minutes)
  • Brand: GW but I would use other companies products if I could (better quality or price, sometimes both)
  • Reasons: Three light layers (letting the previous layer dry completely) give a very good result and no details get lost and I don't have regular access to other types of primer

Colour : Flat Black

Type : Spray

Brand: Wal-Mart Brand :D

Reasons: Cheap, consistant, readily available. Has yet to clump-up or get little fuzzies all over the figures. Works in any temp or humidity level (i'm in the south east US). Also, doesn't bond to the bare plastic, so stripping the models is easy, but it doesn't rub off when painting. They also make a brown color I'm going to try when I start painting my all classic termie deathwing.

Colour : Black / White

Type : Spray

Company: GW/Citadel

Reasons: Never had a problem with it and its easy to get.

Normally use black to prime, but I use white on models that are bone or white. GWs Black Primer seems to be a bit better than their white (or maybe just the can I have isnt 100%)

-Legacy40k

Archived