Forgeworld

Well I am considering putting in my first forgeworld order and have questions for some more experienced people -

Is the duty cost significant? I have a freind who bought a squigoth and it was a huge duty tax.

Also - I have heard some tales of terrible mistakes that occur during shipping - is that a serious worry?

Last, but not least - are there any specific cleaners or glues to use on resin or does GW glue and sapoy-water work well?

Talked to one of the Forgeworld guys at Games Day this year... here's how he said to clean it.

Use a cleaner like SoftScrub (don't know any international equivalents) but most importantly use a natural bristle brush for your scrubbing. The suggestion was to get a vegetable cleaning brush from the market. He said the plastic used in a toothbrush could actually scratch the fragile resin.

Soft-scrub? I can probably run across to Calais on monday and get some.

Thanks for the tip about the brush - I have allways used a toothbrush in an acetone-water mix to clean my metal minis before painting. I would likely have done the same to the turrets I am ordering.

Also - I have heard some tales of terrible mistakes that occur during shipping - is that a serious worry?

You may well recieve a poorly cast item (although don't think that the chances are too high, you are far more likely to recieve a good one) If you do, a quick call to FW will rectify the problem and have a new part sent out (that's from personal experience my replacements arrived today). I would'nt be put off if I were you.

Personally the only shipping mishap I had was that they have sent me two Immolator conversion kits instead of 1 Immolator and 1 Exorcist kit. After I have send them a polite mail about this, they sent me the missing kit and let me keep the second Immolator kit, no questions asked. I wouldn't call this a serious worry :P ... Seriously, you may recieve some warped pieces, or pieces with air bubbles in them (although I haven't got any of those up to today), but their post-sale politic is great.

For cleaning the resin, I have used normal washing liquid (Dreft) in warm water (not too warm, or your pieces may warp), and scrubbed it with an old toothbrush. Up to this day, the paint hasn't come off :D .

I would say that the quality is worth the cost. Shipping hasn't been a big problem for me as my local store carries a ton of FW in stock, I know...I'm spoiled :P

As to warped plastics, yes it can and does happen, quite often in fact. I bought some terminator pads that were terribly warped, I called them and got another one sent in a matter of days.

FW is rather pricey, slow on shipping (from what I've heard, only shipped once and it was fairly quick), sometimes poor quality, but it is very detailed, and they have very friendly service.

Artimis

I've hear of a guy that ordered a Land Raider from FW. When he got it it was full of airbubbles. He called FW and sent him a brand new kit. Same there, full of air bubbles. He called again and they sent him yet another new kit. This time there were no air bubles. He put them all together and fixed the air bubbles with GS and got 3 Land Raiders for the price of one. Why cant GW have that kind of things, 3 for 1 :D

Hey Asmodai_27

You were asking about duties in Canada. The one time I ordered from FW was about 4 or 5 years ago before you could order from the Bunker. I got charged GST, PST the English VAT and a $5.00 calculating fee from Customs, Only to find out that 3 weeks later I could have bought what I had ordered for $10.00 less at a GW store. ;)

Oh well

Talk to you later.........DXM

I guess this would be the right thread to ask this, so...

Does any one on the B and C have experience with ordering from Forgeworld because I am considering making some purchases from them but am unsure of the exchange rates and shipping prices. If anyone can help that would be most appreciated. Oh yes and I live on the US, I guess it might help if you guys all knew that.

Veq.

Well, I'm not too sure about the customs and duties on an item such as this to the US, but on their site on the main page they charge 12% of the order for shipping and handling, not too sure about the postage for international shipment.

I might be order some stuff soon here myself, need to get that new BT dread :S

Forge World has generally been very good with customer service for me as well. On my most recent order though I had a couple of little bits missing on some epic tanks and have emailed them twice over a couple of weeks with no response. Has anyone else had such slow response to emails from them? It seems really weird to me because they are normally so good.

Also, is the currency converter on xe.com accurate for US dollars because the Forgeworld site says its there to "give and idea" of what one would pay.

The rate changes daily. When paying with a credit card, your bank usually will give you the best rate average for the day of your charge.

I'm probably picking up some stuff this summer at Gamesday germany (or well, simply order it there and have it sent for free), some vanquishers, maybe an exterminator or executioner, something "exotic".

Archived