Dark Angels Sargeant WIP

hi guys. I'd like to get some comments on the mini I'm working on currently. At the moment, I'm proud of his face and the gold. Everything else on the mini is giving me fits. If it wasn't for that face, I'd give it the old acetone bath.

It's only my tenth painted mini or so. Nevertheless, I'd like you to be as harsh as possible. I'm trying to do the best I can for this guy, not just paint him "tabletop quality" so I'd like to get help with that in mind.

One thing I know I've screwed up is the cloak/ purity seals. I've tried to fix it, but it's not helping much. I spent too long applying too-thick coats of paint, now it's all blotchy.

Anyway, here it goes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Astromarine/WH40k%20Dark%20Angels/sarge_side2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Astromarine/WH40k%20Dark%20Angels/sarge_front.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Astromarine/WH40k%20Dark%20Angels/sarge_back.jpg

I think it's looking good so far. Use whatever process you did one the face for the rest of him.

Try putting him aside for a day or two then come back to him. Maybe this will give you a new idea, or if nothing else raise you spirits about painting him. Sorry I can't give more precise advice, but my painting is no where near that good.

you might want to start with a darker shade for the tabbard and seals and build up to your bright white you have... at the least giving them a wash would help pull some of their detail... also your DA green looks a bit thick, have you tried thinning your paints with some water?

you might want to start with a darker shade for the tabbard and seals and build up to your bright white you have... at the least giving them a wash would help pull some of their detail... also your DA green looks a bit thick, have you tried thinning your paints with some water?

that's just it. I did both those things :D See what I mean when I say those parts are giving me fits?

The DA Green is watered. Maybe not enough, but I'm more inclined to think the thickness is in the primer more than in the green. I think I primed it a bit too thick maybe.

As for the tabard, I tried black primer -> VMC hull red -> VMC Beige -> VMC Ivory, with a few intermediate mixes. Problem is that only by the time I was applying the ivory did I notice that the streaks and other problems I was having were due to too THICK paint, rather than too thin. :D

Painting's not my strong point, but here's some things that help me...

OK so just a little patience as you lay down colors. I have a problem with that too. Not all colors will go on smooth with only one pass with thinned paint. Paint control is going to come with practice just like brush control. It's simply a matter of mixing up your paint, seeing how it does or doesn't cover, learning from that.

On your layering, like the tabbard, leave more of the previous color showing when you move up to the next color. I'm assuming you went Hull Red because it's known to cover black in one pass, not sure you want a red look to the tabbard? If not then cover up the red completely with your Beige or a darker brown. Then don't repaint the entire area, leave the creases of the folds the brown or beige when you move to the next color. It might look weird at first, just keep going :D Then when you do the Ivory only paint across the tops of the folds. You'll get a good tabletop quality... which is a step you have to take to get to show quality.

You might be able to combat the lumpiness you have with washes, hard to say. Mix something like 1:3 water/Future Floor Finish and mix that with your ink. Only use a touch of ink so it's like dirty water. Let each layer of wash dry completely before doing a second coat, different color, or paint.

The face and gold do look really good, maybe if you describe how you got to that point it might help people to help you?

Hi Astromarine,

First things first I really like the head the stubble looks great. As does the crest on his chest, however I would suggest highlighting the edges of the crest with a light gold colour.

The cloak/ purity seals, the way I do them is to paint them (I'm using Vallejo MC paints) orange brown(gw-beastial brown) first. Then add a couple of thin layers of buff (gw-bleached bone) until it look pretty uniform. Then I add Desert Yellow (gw-Snakebite Leather) to the recesses. Then highlight with mixture of buff (gw-bleached bone) and white followed by white.

As for the armour I give the recesses some thin black paint. I highlight up to my chosen green in stages . I start with Black Green I then add a hightlight with 50/50 Black Green / Intermed Green. Then 33/66 Black Green / Intermed Green then Intermed Green with very small edge highlights of Green Sky. I also thin my paint to about 20/80 using Vallego thinner or water. Using GW paint I would probably substitute Black Green - Dark Angels Green, Intermed Green - Snot Green, Green Sky - Snot Green/Skull White.

I hope this helps.

NatG

Archived