Build-Your-Own Librarian

I need a little advice here. :o

My chapter draws some of its fluff and imagery from the Black Templars, but they don't have the same aversion to librarians that the Templars themselves have. For obvious reasons, GW hasn't offered a Black Templars librarian mini, and I really want such an important character to have many of the same bits/symbols/etc that the black templar upgrade sprues offer. So, it's off to my first conversion...

I think I can put together something good from a combination of the force commander and black templar upgrade sprues, but I don't want to violate WYSIWYG. I'm going to try to paint a normal powersword (or poweraxe) such that it clearly stands out as something different. For the psychic hood, I thought about using an ornate marine helmet (I suck at painting faces), but with sculpted green-stuff to model wires/cables/etc clearly connected to the helmet. I've never touched green-stuff before, so I'll make a practice run or two on a "past-its-prime" mini. Also, my chapter generally takes the field in black with red accents. I know blue is the typical librarian color, but how mandatory is it (for fluff and for WYSIWYG)? The latest US White Dwarf had an impressive non-standard librarian in the drop-pod tactica article, and I was planning to draw a little inspiration from it.

Any suggestions?

guitar wire is great for cabling also you can make a phycic hood from a shaved down shoulderpad use searchy as see what that turns p.

the force weapon could be anything using the axe from the BT sprue adn maybe adding some cabling would look cool. good luck

*snip*I know blue is the typical librarian color, but how mandatory is it (for fluff and for WYSIWYG)? The latest US White Dwarf had an impressive non-standard librarian in the drop-pod tactica article, and I was planning to draw a little inspiration from it.

Any suggestions?

Having never painted a librarian to date, I wouldn't really know, but I'd say that he'd have at least one limb blue to sybolize his librarianism or whatever. I'd go with painting both his arms blue, but that's just an idea.

Could you post a pic of that librarian in the US WD so we english guys know what you're on about?

I wouldn't worry much about the colour blue being present on the model. And that blood angel lib in that WD was sweet. However, if you're running a black/red army colour, it may be nice to throw in a little blue somewhere. Salamanders librarians have just one blue arm for example.

Anyway, good luck on the conversion. Sounds like you have big plans.

Kolli

the colour blue is tradition for the librarian armour with the shoulder pad the chapter colour. but that mainly stands with pure to close to pure codex astarties paint schemes.

have fun with the conversion, and don't be too afraid of posting some pictures. (careful with shaving the shoulder pad for the psychic hood. don't know how much blood i've donated to my hobby but sometimes a little is too much....)

-Rom

What Rom said was right, blue is traditional, but certainly not required. Having some blue on your model would help him to stand out though as a special character against the rest of your forces, so that might be worth doing.

As for the model itself, I might suggest using a Dark Angels robed veteran as a base for the model (part # 9947010119501 on the GW website). The robes give the "Warrior Monk" feel to the model that many of the Black Templar units have, and with the right bits and such from the BT upgrade pack, I think he could fit in really nicely with your army with a minimum of greenstuff work required. He's already got a hood that could count as your psy-hood, so add some guitar string wires, some BT iconography, weapons and a few purity seals and he's good to go.

Browse the GW website's fantasy section and you may be greatly inspired by all the weapons they have there for your Force Weapon! I know I sure was!

Tomb King Glaive

Settra Glaive

High Elf Axe/Sword

Valten Hammer

Leoncouer's Sword/Shield (cloak if you'd like too!)

Just browse through the site and see what you like!

Cheers,

Lawrence.

Thanks for all the great ideas and advice. I'll try to borrow a friend's digital camera and post a pic of my librarian, once I get finished with him.

It...uh...won't exactly be Golden Demon material... (I'm still pretty new at this) :)

alternatively - a common favorite for force weapons is to use grey knights nemesis force weapons and either ffile the sholderpad to remove some markings or to clip and pin the weapon to another arm.

This is great. So many ideas. I just hope I've got the skill to make some of 'em shine... :)

I'm thinking of using a chaplain-style head (skull-mask) for my librarian. I'd been kicking around the idea before, but that WD picture of the black/red librarian got me thinking of actually doing it. I don't have a lot of experience with conversions in play or "counts-as". Am I setting myself up for a bunch of grief from people saying, "na-uh...he looks too much like a chappy"?

I think I'll be going with a chappy skull-head, distinctive force weapon via painting/modeling, and the guitar wire cables to show the psy-hood. I'm guessing that some careful drilling to the shoulders and helm, then tucking in the short wire bits will do the trick.

I had a very similar idea to yours for a chapter and built this guy up from random bitz. Maybe you can get some inspiration from him.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/asmodai650/Picture025.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/asmodai650/Picture026.jpg

I had a very similar idea to yours for a chapter and built this guy up from random bitz. Maybe you can get some inspiration from him.

Whoa! The pics are a bit small, but I like what I see. If you don't mind sharing, how did you craft the space marine helm with the rising arc of the hood cresting over it? That looks great, and it's very close to what I'm aiming for.

Don't worry. I'm not aiming for a direct copy. What I want will have a skull-helm, more wires, no jump-pack or combat shield, etc... ;)

Take a regular shoulder pad and place it so that it is facing you like it was on the models shoulder. Then just cut like the one below. Pretty simple, but hard to keep symmetrical.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/asmodai650/abc.gif

Archived