Starting an Ultramarines Terminator Captain

Links to a 'mock-up' look at my Ultramarines Terminator Captain. I thought I'd show what I have in mind before gluing and painting commences. Since I'm not exactly a Golden Demon standard painter or sculptor I thought I'd try to make a vaguely stand-out model by combining lots of Ultras bitz too (hopefully) good effect.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/3606/captain16ho.th.jpg

Bitz include:

Calgar torso, legs and base;

Terminator lightning claws, banner, pauldrons (small shields) and head;

Cassius icon;

Errant collar (throat guard) from tactical sprue;

Black Templar ceremonial sword;

Forgeworld Ultramarines terminator shoulder pads.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9071/captain20lh.jpg

I intend to complete the model with brass etched ultras symbols on each pauldron and the centre of the banner. Painting will be adequate I think, white on blue for the most part. At the moment the head is too high and the shoulders too wide, but this is because I'm yet to drill and carve pieces to fit, I'm just checking to see if any bright sparks out there think I'm about to commit some terrible sin of modelling. I'll wait a little while to see if there are any replies, then with luck post painted pics in a few days!

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6668/captain33wq.jpg

n.b. The pauldrons make him look rather too wide in the chest/shoulder, but I think that just emphasizes his bulk.

EDIT: For some reason the first pic was a thumbnail. I changed something, and now it's a thumbnail that links to the full size pic. Weird.

I would remove one of the small shields and the sword. Two shields make it look very symetric (and not dynamic) and the Sword is too big. It makes the hips too wide and is otherwise not that useful (two lightning claws). And reducing the clutter will help you with the readability of the miniature. It looks like you can turn the left arm (the miniature's left) a bit down because there is no cloak in the way. Do this and keep the little shield on this side and leave the other shield (right one) and leave the arm on the right side.

That should give you a more dynamic and less staged looking composition.

Because you used most of Calgar, it looks a bit <i>too</i> much like him. Consider using just the torso or just the legs - Fantasy Chaos Warriors should give a nice alternative for legs. Take off a shield, so he matches the normal Terminators (Codex!) and the sword looks out of place with two lightning claws. Consider sculpting some hair or something to make his head unique.

Archived