little help mixing paints

trying to do a skintone for my keeper of secrets.(using GW paintset) I must admit i'm still intimidated by the model but its time to take it on.

i'd like to have the base skin colour an off-white/purple cream. then use a lighter version for the highlight/drybrush. as this model is mainly skin, i'll be tackling that part of the Keeper first. then the black bits (protuding bones?) and then all the gold and silver bits.

i was wondering if anyone had any sucess mixing inks and paints. do they combine well and keep over time?

I had the idea to put a few drops of purple ink into skull white for the off white tint. (i have a few dozen skull white pots about) any other ideas on thinning the paint would also be helpful.

I am also quite hopeless at blending (well mainly making the transition from one colour to the next). i'd like to get a smooth transition from the skintone to a black/dark purple pincer. the horns on the model are shown with the same type of painting. any help on this process would also get me going in the proper direction.

trying to get a decient skintone for my Keeper of secrets and my deamonettes, mainly to try to keep a uniform colour grouping for my Slaneesh deamons.

while i'm thinking of it i'll take a few pictures alone the way, as of right now it is primed white.

thanks

-Rom

You could try mixing some purple and yellow (or orange). This should give you a nice combination of hue and saturation. And for the paleness add a medium grey to adjust value and reduce saturation.

Inks and paint can be mixed but it will stay shinyfor a long time. If you want something that doesn't shine then you need to add a lot of the non ink paint. I would rather mix normalpaints and use (thinned 1:10 at least) inks for glazing.

For your blending problem: That problem won't help you much if you want nice skin. But as the miniature is rather big you could try this: paint the miniature in it's basecoat. then drybrush but with slightly wet paint (add a little bit of water) so the drybrushing isn't too rough. And don't just use the net paint but create a mix of your basecoat + some white and use that for the drybrush. That should give you a more even result. Once that is dry you can use some of the basecoat and thin it much so you can use it as a glaze. Add a laer of that thin basecoat over your highlights. That should even it out eevn more. Wait till it's dry and add another drybrushing layer of highlights and use the glaze again to unify the layers.

tried the colour, it makes a sweet light purple. needed loads of elf grey to lighten it to a respectible shade. as i wanted the skin to be a cream with darker tones to purple i'll be adding a bit more grey to the mix and drybrushing.

the bits of chitin and claws i wanted to make darker than the skintone. my issue mainly is trying to blend paints enough so the claw looks like it was grown rather than attached.

any hoo as of now i'm still happy with the work so far.

-Rom

pictures to follow soon i promise

Archived