Painting a halved scheme...

Well, my mate wants me to paint him up a halved scheme for one of his Space Marines (which is amazing really, as Im a novice painter ;)) but I havent ever done one before. I went through the tutorials listed in the FAQ and Rules section, but I couldnt find anything. Searchy the Servo Sperm came up with nothing aswell. So, can anyone help me out? Some pointers would be great :D

-Kaldoth

Check SCC's website, I think there is a link in his sig or profile. He has wonderful advice for painting a quartered scheme, which would translate very well to a Half-scheme. You could also just PM him.

EH

Depends on the colors you want to use. But a steady hand and a good eye for your centerlines is really all you need as far as special techniques. I can't paint them if I haven't had anything to eat recently, or if I've eaten alot of sugar. Makes my hands just shake that little too much to really get good straight lines. But, on the bright side, alot of marine models have much smaller seperate vertical areas on thier centerline than you would think, so it's a game of getting your center right on several small spaces, instead of one big long space. Makes it easier to keep your center straight.

When using two high contrast or brighter colors, using a trick from the mimes and clowns with thier facepaint helps. Put a very thin line of a dark brown down the seam of the two colors, provided you can draw a straight line with it, and keep it thin, it'll help it look much cleaner, and you won't have that "floating" effect you can get from two colors like a blue and a yellow, or a red and a green. (Boltman was talking about this effect from the wavelength of the colors in his post earlier.)

this interested me as well not just with the half/quarter themes, but checker patterns as well. i never understood how they painted such straight and crisp edges for just small checker patterns. i still to this day cant get it right. i have done a couple quarter models with some success (as mentioned above eating before helps as it steadies my hand) but the smaller patterns are just near impossible to get right.

this interested me as well not just with the half/quarter themes, but checker patterns as well. i never understood how they painted such straight and crisp edges for just small checker patterns. i still to this day cant get it right. i have done a couple quarter models with some success (as mentioned above eating before helps as it steadies my hand) but the smaller patterns are just near impossible to get right.
It's easy but and a lot of work. Just paint your base colour and then mix your basecolour with the decoration colour so that it changes just a bit. Use this to create your decoration. Because the two colours are nearly the same you will be able to see the two colours but it still will be easy to correct any mistakes. When you are finished with the second colour get the first one and correct mistakes (but only if the last layer is dry). Then get the second colour and correct again. Repeat until you are finished. Easy, just a lot or work (and no magic :ph34r:). When it's good enough use the real decoration basecolour and ""trace" the pattern. Finish it off with highlights and shadings.

been thinking on this as well ...

made a test one a few years back ... black and bone-white ... and it worked rather good ...

now I am thinking on making a bone-white and red ... but I am thinking if I will do a black basecoat with red or the bonewhite and add red upon that (brighter red) ...

wonder what would look best ... maybe the whitebase and red combination will be to bright and make it look strange while the bone and black/red will be less eye catching ...

Is that the Bat Signal I see? :devil:

http://www.fortressmonastery.iinet.net.au/images/chapter_thumbs/SoG.jpg

http://www.fortressmonastery.iinet.net.au/images/chapter_thumbs/BC_TS2.jpg

http://www.fortressmonastery.iinet.net.au/images/chapter_thumbs/Warmonger.jpg

Split schemes are great and they aren't much harder (if any) than normal paint schemes to master. The toughest thing is you have to open twice as many pots of paint :wink: ;)

Some basic tips:

Colour selection - this part is crucial, get this wrong and the whole thing will look horrible. Gryphin's advice on colour choice is pretty solid, all I can add is always try a test model before committing to a particular scheme...

The split - The most important thing is to make sure the split is even, be it quarters or halves or anything else. Be very careful to get straight lines, take your time, there's no rush at all. I use the miniature's features as a guide to splitting a scheme, for example for a quartered mini the obvious horizontal split is the 'belt' of the Marine as it's clearly seperated from the lower half and a simple gauge to make sure you're consistent from model to model. Vertical splits are a little harder but there are lots of little details on most Marines that can serve as a guide to keep the sides even and the line straight, they range from engraved panel lines to helmet ridges and so forth.

Seperating colours - I use two tricks here. First is the ol' black line, a nice thin line (I use 50/50 ink/paint) to delineate the two colours really helps focus the eyes nicely I find, it also makes keeping within the 'lines' very easy as you know when you've got it crooked.

The second trick is to highlight the areas where the two colours meet, even if normally you wouldn't highlight that section. I find that this also helps to seperate the two colours in the viewer's eye. It doesn't need to be a bright highlight, even a subtle one can really make a huge difference.

Backpacks - Always remember the backpack is back to front! I paint my backpacks seperate to the rest of the mini and I can't count the number of times I've painted the darn thing only to realise I've got the colours switched around. This little piece of advice applies to anything you paint seperately from the model itself.

If you need more advice feel free to PM me, the best thing you can do though is take a crack at it, it really is no different to any other paint scheme...

Archived