Cure for the fuzz!

Well, not preventing it, but I may of figured out how to remove the worst of it when it happens, without the involvement of paint thinner or brake fluid.

Get yourself a paint brush. No, not the ones you paint with. The ones you'd use to paint your house if it wasnt detailed up to look like an Imperial bunker. About a 2 inch one would do, one with fairly soft bristles. Just take your fuzzy prime job and vigiorusly brush over it with the paint brush. Seems to take off the worst of it and still leave enough primer for the paint to grip onto. This is what Im haveing to do with my Landraider. Was wanting to just spray it blood red, but it appears they are no longer makeing any colors other than white and black primer in spray. >.<

I have found that, of all things, KRYLON spraypaint does just fine on figurines.

Oh, not their enamel stuff - but you can go into a crafts store and ask about their spraypaint; they'll usually have stuff thin enough to be used on figurines, provided you follow the basic rules of primer: Stay 12" away, don't go over an area more than twice (preferably, only once!) and have fun.

Side note - Blood Red is not available in the UK. I'm not sure about the rest of the world but they stopped making it a few years ago. The majority you can find is left over stock. I seem to be told different reasons for their not making it any more by every one I ask so I don't know why.

Curse my Blood Angels :lol:

...and speaking to the topic of prevention, there are a number of things to help avoid primer fuzz regardless of the paint you use:

• Make sure to shake the can for a long time; longer than you think necessary - if your arm is getting tired, you have the right idea :ph34r:
  • Always pay attention to the temperature. Too hot and especially too cold is bad for spray paint
  • Make sure that you mini has been cleaned with warm soapy water, rinsed, and dried in such a way that there's no fuzz on it before painting
  • Several light coats are better than one thick one - OK, this prevents mottling instead of fuzz

I find that spraying in a wind environment is not good either, as many probably already know :blush:

when i have fuzzyness i often take wet and dry sheets of fine sanding paper - that seems to help slightly - but I often find i prime by hand - as it gives me more control / colours to work with ( i.e. bleached bone over skull white )

Car spray paints are also very nice alternatives to GW paints possibly - im yet to try it fully mind so i will report back soon on that :P

Side note - i noticed a GW store in Bath selling ogre flesh colour - so there are more colours available

thanks,

L

Edit - car paint seems bad - paint wont stick well - im running experiments on it now with varnish

L

...and speaking to the topic of prevention, there are a number of things to help avoid primer fuzz regardless of the paint you use:
  • Make sure to shake the can for a long time; longer than you think necessary - if your arm is getting tired, you have the right idea :)
  • Always pay attention to the temperature. Too hot and especially too cold is bad for spray paint
  • Make sure that you mini has been cleaned with warm soapy water, rinsed, and dried in such a way that there's no fuzz on it before painting
  • Several light coats are better than one thick one - OK, this prevents mottling instead of fuzz

Agreed.

One more thing to add which may be even more problematic than temperature is humidity. High humidity almost guarantees you'll get a fuzzy finish. Ideal humidity is below 50% and ideal temperature is around 70

• Make sure to shake the can for a long time; longer than you think necessary - if your arm is getting tired, you have the right idea :unsure:

do you suggest washing the models after you picked them from the sprue and after you removed mold lines ... or is it more generaly to get any leftovers away from the making so I can clean them while on the sprue (a bit more easy realy) ...

and do anyone know if they can be run in the DISHWASHER!!! ??? the sprues that is ... =)

Archived