WIP Command rhino

maximo

+EDIT+ new photos further down

Hey there,

This is the inside for my command rhino for my dark Angel army.

Its still WIP but is almost done.

Basically i would like some opinions on the attempted weathering/mud on the floor cause i think it looks pretty dodge. I just did a quick drybrush without really thinking about it and as a result didn't turn out how i intended.

So what should i do?

These are the options i came up with:

1. Leave as is.

2. Try and fix it by painting over with more weathering.

3. Re-spray white and either repaint bone and try weathering again, or repaint bone without any weathering.

Thanks for reading. If you've got any advice/opinions/help then fire away.

Here are the pics:

http://static.flickr.com/54/162264631_0d7ddb2017_o.jpg

To be honest, it looks fine. I like the fact that you added detail from where they would enter/exit the vehicle. The rest looks good. Thats a problem I have. You have something good, but then you look again and start thinking about how it could be better. Thats why I don't have a complete army :huh:

Leave it as it is.

:huh:

DO NOT RESPRAY

lol

it looks great i think....just like the mud has scuffed off onto the floor.....you cud try adding something lke sand or somethin to make it look lke mud is on the floor....but i think it looks just right

Btw.....that rhino Looks VERY NICE...i hope you paint outside as well as youve painted inside

As whitespeed said, maybe add some clumpage (not much). I believe there is a "debri" tut over at gamesworkshop website. Linkage here. it shows how to build debri, maybe if you applied the same method, change the coloring around a bit, you'd have mud. But then again it looks like your an accomplished painter, I'm sure whatever you come up with, will be good. :huh:

If you want to get really detailled with your worn paint and scuffing, you should concentrate it around the areas where the Marines' feet will be when they sit down.

Other than that, it looks pretty good so far. I have little to add beyond those comments already posted- but a drybrush in your "paint" colour (as opposed to your mud" colour) might make it look more natural (as has already been said, dirt hides in recesses) and depending on how worn you want it to look, a little Boltgun drybrushing on those parts of the floor where the marines' feet will be most often (in front of the seats and so on) might be worth considering.

Firstly, add a subtle wash to add dirt into the recesses, then drybrush a little of the original floor colour over the raised areas to bring the colour back up. Then, a very light drybrush of boltgun metal to pick out the edges and show a little wear, then another very, very light drybrush of an earth colour.

Thats how I would do it, anyway....

This is some of the best dirty/used interior Rhino painting I've seen, the mud patterns on the floor are very realistic. Maybe add some butt marks on the seats with mud and/or scrapes. The worn/chipping paint idea is good too, but a Rhino can be muddy without being old and worn.

Definitely add a thin wash, make sure you put a bit of detergent to stop tide marks. You want to have some grime/dirt in the 'gutters' down the floor, not just on top of them. then, like someone else suggested, a very light drybrush over it so to make the effect more subtle.

Have fun :drool:

RoV

That looks good! I'm going to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and say put dirt in the recesses and bring some of the original color back on top. As to the chipping/wearing, that really depends on how you paint the rest of your rhino. Also, you might want to consider adding blood in a dragged pattern, like a wounded marine was dragged into the middle recently.

Anyway, good job!

don't respray it, for all that is good and holy don't respray it :P

As suggested, try drybrushing bleached bone again.

I wouldn't glue any sand on, that'll look daft. My best advice, try fiddling with it, muck around a bit and see what you like and don't like. :blink:

Aritmis

hey thanks everyone for your suggestions.

10 replies in less than 24 hours! thats why i post here.

About the re-spraying: nothing is glued so if i resprayed it would only be the floor section and nothing else would be ruined. But i think ill try adding some ink and paint in the recesses then more drybrushed brown and then more bone over the top. Maybe even some small blood stains (thanks NoxI).

After that i might consider adding some debris/mud. I put some mud on my predator using sand, static grass and pva, and it looked ok.

Once again thanks for the replies and ill get some photos up either tonite or tomorrow depending how i go.

-Max

• 2 weeks later...

yeh so it took me about a week to repaint my rhino...darn school.

Anyway i added some more dirt in the recesses and repainted the top part bone then added more drybrushed mud and some blood splatters.

Im much happier with it now. Check it out:

http://static.flickr.com/69/173083776_6d51a5a9a7_o.jpg

Thanks all for the help.

-max

+++ Oversized image turned to a link, pleaserefer to the forum rules for more information. +++

yeh so it took me about a week to repaint my rhino...darn school.

Anyway i added some more dirt in the recesses and repainted the top part bone then added more drybrushed mud and some blood splatters.

Im much happier with it now. Check it out:

http://static.flickr.com/69/173083776_6d51a5a9a7_o.jpg

Thanks all for the help.

-max

+++ Oversized image turned to a link, pleaserefer to the forum rules for more information. +++

Looks to me like you've fixed all problems related to the floor. The addition of the blood mark in the center of the floor just adds charactor to my point of view. Instant back history in one glance at the model. Keep up the good work and finish painting the exterior to the level of quality of the interior. I especially like the free-handed side panel artwork. Very well done and no doubts inspiring to the squad as they are conveyed to the battle.

Rymeer

@Obliterator: i was going for a blood splatter effect, maybe too much?

IMHO it guides the eye to the centre of the floor, instead of the gorgeous detail work on the walls. I preferred the original foor, but that'sapersonal thing guess.

i think he means that the squad is bound to have blood all over its boots, what with all the killing and wading through blood they do.

very very nicely done, makes me wish I hadn't glued my rhinos and crusader shut, and at first glance i thought the angel freehand might have been a painted piece of a forgeworld door :P and on closer inspection, wow.

Thanks all for the comments.

@obliterator: yeh i see what you mean ay. :P I got a bit carried away finding different mixes of red, brown ink and water. But im not too fussed about it, could have been better but for me it still looks alright.

ha ha and i really think that pinkbunny guy has got the wrong thread ay.

-max

Archived