Astral Claws

hey all,

im new to this board, and i have a few questions for you all. im starting up an astral claws/red corsairs army. i want to use LATD rules (the ones with chaos marine allies), but im having trouble figuring a few things out and laying down what i really want so i dont waste my money (this hobby is expensive as hell).

so heres the questions.

1) should i stick to the GW defined look of the astral claws, or should i vary them slighty? im thinking of using the black/red/gold scheme, but i also like a straight red scheme using a mix of red gore and blood red. thoughts on this?

2) how should i paint/organize my red corsairs? i want alot of variation in the chapters they broke off from, but im not sure if i should organize the squads as a bunch of individuals or groups of rebels from the same chapters. ALSO, what chapters should i use? i was thinking color schemes that clash, and arent to uniform.

3) considering the astral claws/rc are pretty much a melting pot of chaos marines/etc, how should i unify the army? i was thinking of painting one shoulder pad on the red corsairs and traitors red and have a chaos star with a skull in the middle. good, bad?

4) how far do you think i should go with the chaos theme? should i completely chaos them out, or should i make the astral claws/red corsairs look like they just discovered the 4 gods?

thanks in advance, i no you guys will be able to help...

p.s, on an unrelated note, what do you think would be the most fluffy organization of the LATD list. what units and such.

Honestly, I really like GWs scheme of the red black and gold. I wouldn't have any other chapters, just astral claws/red corsairs. I know, going a tad against fluff but their scheme is so dang sweet. :P

I would go hard core chaos. To show that these aren't just black templars with x's on their eagles. :blink:

The 'claws original colours were orange with tiger stripes....

maybe fit this in somewhere?

thats a good idea. if i make a demon prince i think ill have his armor be orangish red with black stripes, but on some spots be dark red. sound like a good idea? oh, and what i meant by the red corsairs thing for the guy above you is....as far as i no the red corsairs gather members from all chapters and alliances. i think ive decided to go with individuals painted to different chapter colors, rather then whole squads.

and as far as the rest of the scheme goes, im gonna do the GW scheme, but i dunno if im gonna use the same head for every model like the guy in that white dwarf a while back.

any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would use it as an opportunity to try a bunch of different GW and non-GW color schemes. I'd also use a mix of chaosed-out Chaos Marine models and benign looking Loyalist Marine models. Combine this with a collection of different schemes, and you'll have a nice motely crew.

Of course, that could just be my sense of style speaking.

no, i like this idea. im thinking my organization will go like this

15 man squad of astral claws, gw scheme, chaosy, mixed up and converted to the max.

10 man squad x 2 of "red corsair recruits", all different ex chapter affiliations, some more chaosy

then others. aspiring champions could either be astral claws or especially chaosy renegades.

then ill have my traitor squads made to either look like cultists or rebel guardsmen, and of course mutants/big mutants. then ill have a lord, arch heretic, and a few tanks if possible. the unifying theme will be a red shoulder pad in the gw scheme, with the black claw on it. i might change some of this up, its all pretty ruff.

anymore ideas?

Or you could go with the original fluff route and ditch the chaosiness of the army. Only Huron and a few of the leaders were chaos followers(except the members for the Chaos legions), all the rest should just be rogue marines and pirates. Also I'd ditch the red/black/gold scheme too, that is only in GW's most recent rendition of the Astral Claws, it doesn't follow the old fluff at all. The reason they are called the Red Corsairs is that Rogue marine members would either put red X's threw or paint red blotches on top of their imperial markings. Just my 2 cents. Also the originial Astral Claws scheme is Black with Orange stripes(with silver edging around them) which is really difficult to paint which I can tell you from experience.

-jay

PS remember in a lost and damned army, only one squad can have any mark(including the mark of Chaos Undivided) and that is the Elites choice. The troops squads can have vet skills but not marks.

im painting mine as we speck, what im doing is making a blotch of red paint over their former chapter emblems and painting the red corsiar badge over it but im making it look messy, as so that you can tell where they came from (former chapter) but keeping everything else. Im gonna make most of the right sholder pad red so you can def tell where they are corsairs. For example I have a spacewolf and he still is going to have his blood claw and pack marking on his armor.

PS remember in a lost and damned army, only one squad can have any mark(including the mark of Chaos Undivided) and that is the Elites choice. The troops squads can have vet skills but not marks.

I used to think that, too. Turns out that's not the case. The unit counts as the unit it is from the parent codex for allying purposes, then fills an elites slot in the LaTD army. For example, a squad with the Mark of Chaos Undivided counts as an allied troop, but fills an elites slot on the LaTD force org chart. It states this in the EoT FAQ.

Archived