Digital Camera decision needed

Hi everyone

Okay i will admit it - i asked last August about digital cameras - but then bought a powerful Powerful PC over camera - and then the camera just got forgotten about :P

While photographing models i use a Nikon camera ( a coolpix 775 model ) however i feel i want to upgrade - it is an older Nikon - and a rsolution with 2 MP - however this can be hit and miss with me as i some times get a nice photo - other times it will take 4 or 5 times

The Nikon Coolpix 7900 was recommended to me last August - while i saw an S2 Nikon Coolpix while in town on the weekend and thought it looked very nice - it also reminded me i wanted an upgrade to the Nikon Coolpix i currenty use to take photo's with

Apparently the Nikon Coolpix 7900 has a bigger CCD to an S2 - whatever that means

But the S2 looks alot better i think

Also i can purchase an S2 in the shop - while to get a 7900 i will need to go onto the companys website so cant try it out first

Price wise - they are about the same ( just under

Honestly if you are taking macro pics the 7900 would be the better choice with the lens type. The larger CCD wont matter for web pics because you will be using the lowest setting anyways. But also think about general use because the lithium Ion batteries are going to be trouble for you if you out and about alot, they usually have a 2 hour use and because of the internal space you cannot buy longer lasting batteries... obviously cameras with the litium battery will be smaller than AA cameras, but if you travel AA's are easy to find and replace. I sell cameras at Best Buy if it matters :P take it for what its worth. :blink:

Honestly, I'd save up money to get a better camera. You really do get what you pay for.

I have 3 cameras. One digi, one photo, one video. Sony DCR-SR100 video camera is a WONDERFUL buy (set back $1200cdn or so), the digi is a Canon elph SD700 IS with 6.0 megapixels (another grand right there) and my pride and joy, a Canon Rebel with wide-angle, tele-photo and custom flash that's about $3.5k, and none of this includes tripods, bags, film and such. All I'm missing is my own little blackroom!

My advice to you is to keep saving up and get a better camera! I cannot stress this enough.

Cheers,

Lawrence.

Honestly, I'd save up money to get a better camera. You really do get what you pay for.

I have 3 cameras. One digi, one photo, one video. Sony DCR-SR100 video camera is a WONDERFUL buy (set back $1200cdn or so), the digi is a Canon elph SD700 IS with 6.0 megapixels (another grand right there) and my pride and joy, a Canon Rebel with wide-angle, tele-photo and custom flash that's about $3.5k, and none of this includes tripods, bags, film and such. All I'm missing is my own little blackroom!

My advice to you is to keep saving up and get a better camera! I cannot stress this enough.

Seconded, however if you desperatly want a decent camera for cheap, the Canon S2 IS was just replaced with a newer model with almost no new features. As a result, there was a $150 price drop (to about $350) and it takes some pretty good photos right out of the box. PM me if you would like to see some photos I've taken with mine and with my Rebel with a really nice macro lens to see how they compare.

Hi and thanks everyone

Sorry would have replied sooner but i had to work today and get an army ready for a tournament on sunday ( gulp still need to paint more )

From reading the general thoughts on here - i think that it is between the 7900 and now - thanks to ardyer and Krystalmesh ^_^ - a Canon S2 IS

Dark Predator

Honestly if you are taking macro pics the 7900 would be the better choice with the lens type. The larger CCD wont matter for web pics because you will be using the lowest setting anyways. But also think about general use because the lithium Ion batteries are going to be trouble for you if you out and about alot, they usually have a 2 hour use and because of the internal space you cannot buy longer lasting batteries... obviously cameras with the litium battery will be smaller than AA cameras, but if you travel AA's are easy to find and replace. I sell cameras at Best Buy if it matters take it for what its worth.
Thanks - although it will be used to take alot of online images with - im an art student so will be using it out and about and possibly for projects - so the idea of batterys is wise to consider

I was buying an S2 for looks ^_^

But then - the look of a camera shouldnt be why i buy a camera i guess - so size wouldnt be much of a problem I would not imagine

Aarhus

Thanks for your advice - i have many accessories i have gathered over time - only thing im missing is a light box i think

- i can comfortably afford a more expensive camera - but as the price of technology is falling so much i dont think i would like to buy an expensive camera to watch it fall in price - I bought a HD ( high definition ) LCD TV 5 months ago - now i could buy similar or better at half the price i paid

ardyer - thankyou ever so much - you have helped me alot ;)

Joker - thanks for letting me know that Joker - your images are great for details etc. and that is possibly why the Nikon 7900 is still being considered :rolleyes:

krystalmesh - thankyou for confirming this - now im stuck between a canon and a Nikon

There was one thing that concerned me on the Canon - it says it has a macro distance of about 10 cm - however the 12 times opticalzoom should sufficiently make up for that right ?

Thankyou again

Luke

Archived