Inspiration needed

Hey there fellas,

Setting aside my current projects, I feel like making a Company Champion. My current one is so badly painted that it would be mistaken for a candle...

So what I'd like to do is create one from scratch. However, there's a small problem: I'm running out of bits, and can't afford anything else.

All I have is a few odd bits like bolters, arms, grenades, shoulderpads, special weapons, etc. and an unopened Chaos Space Marine box. However, that's never stopped me, as I have my amazing greenstuff!

So what I'm looking for is ideas on how to make a sword (I cannot carve sprue well at all), and a good torso that I can greenstuff. Shoulderpads will be inspired by Dempalax Do Kier's Champion (sorry mate, it was too good an idea not to steal) and the head'll be a modified Company Champion one (meaning that I'll take apart a normal Marine helmet and make it into a Company Champion helmet)

Really, any ideas would be good...

I WILL post photos once he's started.

Cheers, major_panic

PS: I don't really care what Chapter, it'll probably be a display model. And he'll be true-scaled.

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for but you could try Warhammer Fantasy. The Empire and Bretonnian armies have knights. You could find one or two heroes or some bits that you could buy cheap and use.

If you need a sword try the Termainator Captain's sword (the metal one, by Jes Goodwin if I remember correctly). It's left handed but seperate and can beordered individually. And it's cheaper/less time comsuming than building your own sword. By the way, it's a power wapon.

I made a sword once from plasticard which worked pretty well. (see it here not the best angle or photo but)

Basically i cut a sword shape in the plasticard then traced and cut it on another piece. Then i glued them together and once dry filed them to exactly the right shape and filed blade shape like this: /\ on the edges.

Does the chaos box have a sword in it? cause that would be easy to use.

Dunno about the torso though.

-max

I made a sword once from plasticard which worked pretty well. (see it here not the best angle or photo but)

Basically i cut a sword shape in the plasticard then traced and cut it on another piece. Then i glued them together and once dry filed them to exactly the right shape and filed blade shape like this: /\ on the edges.

Does the chaos box have a sword in it? cause that would be easy to use.

Dunno about the torso though.

-max

which is how I made a Kukri knife, except that I used an AOL disk instead of plasticard....

The chaos Box has a sword in it, it a power weapon, and you could probably use the AC chest with the chain on it! Use marine Legs and the shouldetr pads and the head, the bolt pistols in the chaos box are really nice 2

Yep, that's basically what I was thinking about... I don't know about the torso, though, I'd like to have a more archaic, Champion-looking Marine torso (you know, the type that screams 'Look at me, I love the Emperor, and because of it I'm entitled to wear really, really fancy armour!')

In other words, Artificer-made Armour. Any thoughts or ideas on that?

I'd also like a significantly larger sword than the one in the Chaos box, it just seems a little too short for my liking... Something like the proper Company Champion's sword, or the Emperor's Champion sword would be sweet.

And once again, I stress that I WILL NOT be buying anything further. I simply can't afford it. (Being 17 does that to you sometimes)

Cheers, major_panic

Well you're really limiting our ability to help you. You want a sword you don't own, will only use bitz you have, and won't carve one. :) Conversions like this are a matter of sitting down with your bitz and looking at each sprue and imagining the different things each part could be used for. Also... random bitz with a limited stockpile to draw from doesn't really lead to a display piece :)

For the sword...

You can make something somewhat custom from what you have. Pose it so he's holding it backhanded, perhaps in a bolter arm so the hilt is up and the blade is down. Like he's going to bring his arm upward to slash.

Carefully take the blade from the Chaos Champion. Cut just above the hand, so you don't damage any part that you want to salvage. File off the cross-guard. Use one of the skull decorations on the shoulderpads to create a new cross-guard. Alternately, use an Imperial Eagle Space Marine torso, carve off everything except the Eagle and use that as your cross-guard. Cut off one of the curved horns from the Chaos Marine Helmets and use that as a new hilt coming out of the other end of the hand. Watch the angles on this, although the horns are wavy, make sure the flow of the hilt goes well with the sword and the model's overall pose. This all shouldn't be too hard, just cut larger than you need and slowly file down to exact sizes.

Helmet, use the Chaos Champion head without the horns. This is a very cool looking helmet.

The legs are going to come down to your ability with Greenstuff and/or what bitz you have left. Something simple like an icon on the kneepad or gold trim will make a big difference. Wings from torsos will look good on the lower legs if you haven't already used one on the sword.

Well you're really limiting our ability to help you. You want a sword you don't own, will only use bitz you have, and won't carve one. :) Conversions like this are a matter of sitting down with your bitz and looking at each sprue and imagining the different things each part could be used for. Also... random bitz with a limited stockpile to draw from doesn't really lead to a display piece :)

For the sword...

You can make something somewhat custom from what you have. Pose it so he's holding it backhanded, perhaps in a bolter arm so the hilt is up and the blade is down. Like he's going to bring his arm upward to slash.

Carefully take the blade from the Chaos Champion. Cut just above the hand, so you don't damage any part that you want to salvage. File off the cross-guard. Use one of the skull decorations on the shoulderpads to create a new cross-guard. Alternately, use an Imperial Eagle Space Marine torso, carve off everything except the Eagle and use that as your cross-guard. Cut off one of the curved horns from the Chaos Marine Helmets and use that as a new hilt coming out of the other end of the hand. Watch the angles on this, although the horns are wavy, make sure the flow of the hilt goes well with the sword and the model's overall pose. This all shouldn't be too hard, just cut larger than you need and slowly file down to exact sizes.

Helmet, use the Chaos Champion head without the horns. This is a very cool looking helmet.

The legs are going to come down to your ability with Greenstuff and/or what bitz you have left. Something simple like an icon on the kneepad or gold trim will make a big difference. Wings from torsos will look good on the lower legs if you haven't already used one on the sword.

You, good sir, are a most excellent chap of the highest order!

As to the carving sword thing: I would, but I can't. It's physically impossible for me to do it. I've tried too many times... Ah, what the heck. I'll go try again.

Definitely using the Chaos Champion head without horns, and legs I'm happy with. Now I just need a torso... So, anyone got any ideas?

Cheers, major_panic

Archived