Pinesol Conundrum

Well I hadnt used pinesol to strip models in about 5 years, prefering to use and having good success with simple green. The squad i was trying to strip had only been painted once, gw white primer and blood red paint, and had sat in the simple green a few days. The simple green wasnt getting it done for this batch for some odd reason, so i decided to go back and try pinesol since i had used it sucessfully in the past. Well the pinesol lifted the paint but made it into a really sticky oily gooey paste that will rub off the model, but then smear inextricably onto your the model and my hands... anyone had this happen before with pinesol?

Simple green hasnt been cutting for me lately for whatever reason, and ive never had easy off oven cleaner lift any paint whatsoever (is the secret to easy off to use a closed container?), so i supose castrol super clean is the next option...

Yep, had this one. Its because GW undercoat uses an oil-base, so poor old pine disinfectant just turns to gooey sludge. My tip for this is to clean as much as you can off with soap and water (use an old toothbrush, which will get *ruined*). Then to get rid of the rest, a quick soak in white spirit to loosen, followed by more brushing with soap and water, to get rid of the white spirit. This method gets about 95%+ of the base off too, with no loss of detail.

This might help you out quite a bit because it has opinions and proven by user experiments in theory.

Click here, not here.

Remember the two most important things to obtain even when using simple green, rubber gloves <$5, a breating mask <$5, and face protection <$5 but not >$10.

You safety and protection for your skin, and lungs, and eyes come first and foremost of ALL things when doing these actions.

AA

UPDATE: Well, not being one to give up on minis Ive spent hard earned cash on.. my quest for a stripping solution continues (and i dont mean dancing half naked to music.. though thats a good break when painting for too many hours straight.. um.. er...) ... pinesol has been my workhorse in the past but no more! simple green as of late... but just not a strong enough chemical, though i do appreciate the biodegradable, non toxic properties (worked on a dive/research boat a year, the stuff could be washed into the sea with no worry of contamination)...

seeing that bare plastic under the layer of greasy goop created by the pinesol made it impossible to give up... i decided to give easy off oven cleaner another shot after reading b. wongs short post (gold deamon or two, maybe hes got an idea whats up).. youve really got to use it in an enclosed space. i put the minis in a plastic tub and shut the lid. paint/previously gooey crap washed off under tap water... easy as that. The lid being shut tightly made all the difference... easy off did absolutely nothing when the lid was off the container.. perhaps thsi has to do with the reaction of oxygen with the active chemical ingredient i dont know.... but for those trying to strip models with this, be sure to use a closed container.

If anyone who is reading this could give me a physical/chemical explanation behind the reason this product works this way I would greatly appreciate it for curiosities sake.. drop me a pm

cheers -Z

This might help you out quite a bit because it has opinions and proven by user experiments in theory.

Click here, not here.

Remember the two most important things to obtain even when using simple green, rubber gloves <$5, a breating mask <$5, and face protection <$5 but not >$10.

You safety and protection for your skin, and lungs, and eyes come first and foremost of ALL things when doing these actions.

AA

This post is awesome! Dear Emperor the people on this board are so afraid of chemicals. Simple Green is practically safe enough to drink. You have nothing to fear when using Simple Green. The *whole point* of the invention of Simple Green was to create a cleanser that was safe for humans and the environment.

This post is awesome! Dear Emperor the people on this board are so afraid of chemicals. Simple Green is practically safe enough to drink. You have nothing to fear when using Simple Green. The *whole point* of the invention of Simple Green was to create a cleanser that was safe for humans and the environment.

I believe one should be careful when saying that "people are so afraid of chemicals"... Don't you think it's good to be afraid of chemicals? Simple Green contains the same chemical ingredient than can be found in products like Windex, only in smaller concentrations. If you are telling me that Simple Green is so safe you could ALMOST drink it then, it's not completely safe, is it?

We should also consider that young people are reading this and that many warnings are better that not enough.

Anyways, I don't want to sound alarming or patronising (I'm not THAT old!) but I wanted to share my view on the subject!

Dracul.

No I don't think it's good to be afraid of chemicals. I think it's wise to be *cautious* and *informed* when using chemicals. In fact when posts pop up telling people to use Break Fluid and Oven Cleaner to strip, I suggest Simple Green because it is a safer solution.

If it weren't for the fact that there *are* young children reading this thread, I would've said that Simple Green is safe enough to drink :rolleyes: (Don't drink Simple Green!!) Go read the Simple Green White Paper. Basically, don't get it in your eyes (but you probably won't need to see a doctor if you do). You don't need goggles to not get cleaner in your eyes, just be careful. (Always wear goggles while awake!!)

Like I've said about Greenstuff in the past... there are things in this world to be afraid of, Simple Green is not one of them.

The only stripper you will ever need is Castrol Super-Clean degreaser. Safe for plastic, works on metal, cheap, and no eye/skin/lung harming vapours. Also its cheap! I've tried every product there is and this is all I use now. PLEASE give it a try, you wont be dissapointed. :lol:

The only stripper you will ever need is Castrol Super-Clean degreaser. Safe for plastic, works on metal, cheap, and no eye/skin/lung harming vapours. Also its cheap! I've tried every product there is and this is all I use now. PLEASE give it a try, you wont be dissapointed.

Um?

The one experience I had with castrol superclean led to me getting high off the fumes....that was an interesting night...but yeah it stripped the models well.

Is the degreaser different?

Archived