Old Paints

Just getting back into the hobby after a long absence and I thought I'd pick some brains.

Just visited the attic the other day to see if I could salvage the remains of my old models and bitz boxes and came across some of my old paints (I was much more into modelling and converting than I was painting in the old days so I still had some paints left) Miraculously there were a few that just needed a good shake and they were ready to go. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for revitalising those old paints that have turned a bit sludgey, or am I going to have to fork out and replace them?

water. If they are just a bit sludgy, water works wonders. Acrylic paint thinner is better tho. Depends somewhat on how bad a shape they are in. If it is the old plastic GW bottles, the ones before the screwing ones, not much should be needed, those were great.

i use water with a small amount of fairy liquid in it (the fairy liquid makes u get an even coat when painting) and recently i have been adding a single ball bearing into all of my paints so that when i shake them after a while of not using the BB helps mixthe paint up again.

Archived